Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lamannia Coordinator

Default Transitioning from the old XP Curve to the new XP Curve

There have been questions regarding what happens with old characters going to the new Experience Curve. Here are a couple of examples:

Take a character that does not have enough experience to level on Live (with the old Experience Curve), but has enough experience to take the next level on Lamannia (with the new Experience Curve): In this example, the character is level 10 (on its first life), with 510,000 XP.

With the new Experience Curve, it takes 510,000 XP to be able to talk to a trainer to take level 11 (on your first life). Since the character has this amount of experience, the character can talk to a trainer and level up.

Now let’s take a character that just reached a level on Live (with the old Experience Curve), but that amount of experience is no longer sufficient to reach that level on Lamannia (with the new Experience Curve): In this example, the character just took level 16 (on its first life) on Live, with 1,200,000 XP.

With the new Experience Curve, 1,200,000 is not enough experience to take level 16 (on your first life). However, since the character already spoke with the trainer, it remains at level 16. Note that you will have to gain 10,000 XP in addition to the XP necessary to reach level 17 (165,000) before you can level again.
    Last edited by SqueakofDoom; 11-14-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Clarifying that the characters are on their First Life

Fantastic, thank you for the clarification and screenies!
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

Thanks!

Your toon is uber rich, millions of AS must be nice.

Community Member

Thumbs up Xp

Really liking your communication style and technique. Thank you for your work and communication.

Community Member

Could you please show screenshots of what happens to, say, a level 4 character who had enough to be level 4 under the old system but not under the proposed system and would actually be level 3 under the old? For example a 3rd life toon with 120,000xp is l.4 under current but l.3 under proposed. What happens when it goes live?

Cheers

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Thanks for the info, is good and well presented.
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThrakThor View Post
    Could you please show screenshots of what happens to, say, a level 4 character who had enough to be level 4 under the old system but not under the proposed system and would actually be level 3 under the old? For example a 3rd life toon with 120,000xp is l.4 under current but l.3 under proposed. What happens when it goes live?

Cheers
    That is exactly what the 2nd example shows ThrakThor - the character keeps their lvl (4) but now has to gain more XP to progress further towards ranks and lvls.

Barbershopper

Thanks for the screenshots and annotations!

Now, how about a 3+life character that is already over 4,000,000xp? Does the "extra" convert to Epic XP? Does it get applied to a Destiny?

How about a 3+life toon that is 16, banking 17, with 3,300,000xp (almost 18). Will she be able to take both 17 and 18 and be half-way to 19?
    Dawnstrider, Officer of Pay It Forward (Sarlona, and all servers)

Also want an answer on the character at 4300k XP. Do they go from level 18 or 19 to level 21 straight away?

What happens to heroic AP? Let's say I'm level 5 and have earned 18 AP, and spent 17 of them, and under the new curve I'd only be level 4 with 14 AP.

Would I have:

a) A forced AP reset
    b) 17 out of 14 AP spent. I can continue to use those 17 AP but won't earn any more until I'm back to level 5 with 18 AP
    c) 17 AP spent, but for purposes of gaining more I'm only considered to have 14 (meaning I end up with 83 heroic AP at cap)
    d) Something else entirely.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

I thought the new curve was supposed to required fewer XP at the higher levels (and therefor fewer to hit level 20)??

Also curious. I have a character on life 3 at about 3.98M xp right now. That's more than enough to cap her if I park - do those extra XP convert to epic XP, or are they "lost"?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    I thought the new curve was supposed to required fewer XP at the higher levels (and therefor fewer to hit level 20)??
    It takes less for upper levels and cap, but the lower levels take a little more XP,

From memory the break even point is about L15-16
    Leader of the Unearthed Arcana

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Also curious. I have a character on life 3 at about 3.98M xp right now. That's more than enough to cap her if I park - do those extra XP convert to epic XP, or are they "lost"?
    I am curious about this as well. My main is a TR2 and currently around 4.2M XP. Does the extra XP get lost, or does it get applied to epic levels?
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Lamannia Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    I am curious about this as well. My main is a TR2 and currently around 4.2M XP. Does the extra XP get lost, or does it get applied to epic levels?
    Since Heroic XP caps for level 20 (and then goes to Epic XP), you would be able to take level 20, but additional XP would not apply to Epic Levels.

(NOTE that you can see similar functionality with the new Heroic Otto's Box. It grants 2 million XP, but it only gets applied to Heroic levels: it will only level you up to 20, but not beyond.)

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    Since Heroic XP caps for level 20 (and then goes to Epic XP), you would be able to take level 20, but additional XP would not apply to Epic Levels.

(NOTE that you can see similar functionality with the new Heroic Otto's Box. It grants 2 million XP, but it only gets applied to Heroic levels: it will only level you up to 20, but not beyond.)
    Thank you for that clarification, I wondered about players doubling up an old bigbys with a heroic ottos.

Lamannia Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Acrisius View Post
    Thanks for the screenshots and annotations!

Now, how about a 3+life character that is already over 4,000,000xp? Does the "extra" convert to Epic XP? Does it get applied to a Destiny?

How about a 3+life toon that is 16, banking 17, with 3,300,000xp (almost 18). Will she be able to take both 17 and 18 and be half-way to 19?
    Just verified with a level 10 toon that has banked XP (659,999/660,000) on Live. After transferring the character to Lamannia, the banked XP was listed as (659,999/682,000). I was able to take levels 11 and 12 on Lamannia, and have enough XP to also cover Rank 1 of Level 12. So yes, your 3+ life character that is lvl 16 with banked XP (3,300,000) would land around Rank 3 of Level 18.

Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post

Thanks for the response! That's what I expected, and isn't a problem for me
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Community Member

I had a level 18 with banked 19, don't recall how much XP, but when I brought her into Lamma all excess past 20 was lost as you would expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perceval
    the common denominator in all the failed attempts you have been in is YOU.
    Member of the Unrepentant guild of gamers.

shard = Flamekeep ?

How do we get to this server ?
    Is it the unofficial name for Lamannia ?
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Should this work for our characters copied to Lamannia? Because my second life level 15 on live was a ... second life level 15 on Lamannia, without the "you have unspent levels" notice or similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast