Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranger destiny?

Default Ranger destiny?

I've seen about half and half using either fury or shradi.
    So I will ask you rangers,
    Which do you use and why.
    proud member of the Blackmoor Defenders
    Almost solely play Noritine (imagine that)
    Ghallanda

My thoughts about it (I don't have a ranger):

Fury is timed burst, you burst when you want to.
    Shiradi is "what the hell just came out of my bow!", more RNG reliant.

Fury with Pin/Otto's twisted.
    Last edited by Encair; 09-10-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Shahang (hjealme), Wipekin (kotc), Nezhat (barbie) Ghallanda/Devourer

Fury if you're using a bow. Much, much more powerful.

Fury if you're using two weapons.

Just go fury. Shiradi lacks for a few reasons.
    1) Bows have a low fire rate/minute.
    2) Lack of spell power. Needed for shiradi.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default bow

Fury with Rainbow and Double Rainbow twisted in. You get the" OMG, I just did 30,000 Damage in 15 seconds and what the hell came out of my bow?"
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

FoTW.

Twists to taste.

Win.

I had got to thinking and fury is awesome dps. so I will probably go fury with prism and double rainbow twisted
    proud member of the Blackmoor Defenders
    Almost solely play Noritine (imagine that)
    Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Noritine View Post
    I had got to thinking and fury is awesome dps. so I will probably go fury with prism and double rainbow twisted
    Highly recommend twisting Pin and Otto's Whistler.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    That Paralyzing one is pretty awesome to
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    That Paralyzing one is pretty awesome to
    It's okay, but you don't get many arrows per minute, so it won't go off much.
    That and it's tier V, meaning you can't twist it.

Also recommend cocoon for third slot. :3

Community Member

My biggest problem with Shiradi Champion is that it's a chance on a chance. Way to Fing RNG.

I stick with FotW for burst dmg along with big sniper shots when I decide it and not on the roll of the dice. When you do 10k+ or 15k+ or 20k+ burst dmg I doubt SC can ever catch up. SC imo is horribly designed because not only do you have a chance of a chance for useful procs but also you need to remain still for max benifit which DDO's combat is anything but remain in place. Might not be so bad except that these procs are meh dmg output compared to the sheer power that Adrenaline Overload can do for you when coupled with say Sniper Shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    pin to make them helpless, then hit adrenaline, then ottos for +3[W] on a helpless mob, can hit some nice numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    pin to make them helpless, then hit adrenaline, then ottos for +3[W] on a helpless mob, can hit some nice numbers.
    Don't forget a damage boost and slaying arrows, yum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Or Ottos to make them helpless, depending on the situation. Pin is also 3[W] :P

FotW is far and away the best destiny for a Ranger. Innate Damage Bonuses, Innate HP Bonus, Primal Scream & Tunnel Vision, Sense Weakness & Overwhelming Force, Unbridled Fury & Fury Eternal... and it even gives you bonus Caster levels for your self-buffs when you multi-class your Ranger.

Its just made of Win, imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

So, in a slightly different vein: what would you consider twisting on a monkcher in Fury?

Right now I have Haste Boost and Enlightenment, and was thinking A Dance of Flowers in my third slot. The faster RoF from Haste Boost is really nice during Manyshot/10K Stars, but I'd consider bringing in Otto's or Pin Down instead. Enlightenment is to keep the Ki flowing so I don't have to wait for 10K Stars/can occasionally use Shadow Veil.

Oh, and which of those two (Pin/Otto) would you take if you were only twisting one? I've got Leg Shot from Deepwood Stalker.

Would you take something over Dance?

What about Echoes of the Ancestors: Primal (Shiradi)? A constant 10% bonus to attack speed looks pretty good.

Finally, I did a little testing, and it looks like you cannot gain Fury charges with a ranged weapon (I know it says "melee" weapon in the description for Unbridled Fury, but it says the same for Fury Eternal, yet I can regain Adrenaline with ranged attacks). Is that the case, or was I just unlucky?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    So, in a slightly different vein: what would you consider twisting on a monkcher in Fury?

Right now I have Haste Boost and Enlightenment, and was thinking A Dance of Flowers in my third slot. The faster RoF from Haste Boost is really nice during Manyshot/10K Stars, but I'd consider bringing in Otto's or Pin Down instead. Enlightenment is to keep the Ki flowing so I don't have to wait for 10K Stars/can occasionally use Shadow Veil.

Oh, and which of those two (Pin/Otto) would you take if you were only twisting one? I've got Leg Shot from Deepwood Stalker.

What about Echoes of the Ancestors: Primal (Shiradi)? A constant 10% bonus to attack speed looks pretty good.

Finally, I did a little testing, and it looks like you cannot gain Fury charges with a ranged weapon (I know it says "melee" weapon in the description for Unbridled Fury, but it says the same for Fury Eternal, yet I can regain Adrenaline with ranged attacks). Is that the case, or was I just unlucky?
    I wouldn't use Elightenment personally. Get both pin and otto's, you'll be able to CC anything with IPS. While it's CC'd, swap over to wraps (most monkchers have ITWF from ranger), letting you regain a ton of ki with no danger to yourself.
    From what I've been told, Dance of Flowers doesn't work, nor does Echoes of the Ancestors.

Unless Fury of the Wild was was changed (very) recently, it does work. (last tested u19 p1 with a lit II longbow (at epics, the horror of it))

Fury charges fine with range. A nice hallway with IPS-manyshot will get you most of the way to 10, often.
    I change twists often, but for non-raids I tend to take Ottos/Pin/Dance. For some things (when soloing FoT/DQ/etc) I'll tend to swap in Grim Precision/Unearthly Reactions for the CC twists. Ottos is great when it works, but it is a little finicky to use. Pin on the other hand is great all the time. I used to twist enlightenment, but the new stances (swap to Ocean when running between encounters for ki gen if you can remember) and the accessibility of +1 ki gen in Henshin for 8 ap has made me drop that with no regrets.
    I think I tested Echoes: Shiradi ages ago, but I honestly don't remember whether it stacked with everything else. I think it actually worked out to ~5% increase in bow speed when using Pinion/Gilvaenors, but I cant be sure- old age and senility and all that. I defer to my prior judgement that it wasn't worth a spot.
    Also, when I last experimented with it, I found hasteboost to be pretty underwhelming with a bow, even in manyshot. Try manyshotting with and without haste boost a few times, see how many volleys you get.

As to the original question, I find myself running exclusively in Fury these days, and tailoring the twists as needed. It's just so nice to have that burst option, and when you get good at playing the angles, Fury shines even more with the ability to Ottos/adrenaline/slaying arrow to take out an entire pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWindupBird View Post
    Fury charges fine with range. A nice hallway with IPS-manyshot will get you most of the way to 10, often.
    I change twists often, but for non-raids I tend to take Ottos/Pin/Dance. For some things (when soloing FoT/DQ/etc) I'll tend to swap in Grim Precision/Unearthly Reactions for the CC twists. Ottos is great when it works, but it is a little finicky to use. Pin on the other hand is great all the time. I used to twist enlightenment, but the new stances (swap to Ocean when running between encounters for ki gen if you can remember) and the accessibility of +1 ki gen in Henshin for 8 ap has made me drop that with no regrets.
    I think I tested Echoes: Shiradi ages ago, but I honestly don't remember whether it stacked with everything else. I think it actually worked out to ~5% increase in bow speed when using Pinion/Gilvaenors, but I cant be sure- old age and senility and all that. I defer to my prior judgement that it wasn't worth a spot.
    Also, when I last experimented with it, I found hasteboost to be pretty underwhelming with a bow, even in manyshot. Try manyshotting with and without haste boost a few times, see how many volleys you get.

As to the original question, I find myself running exclusively in Fury these days, and tailoring the twists as needed. It's just so nice to have that burst option, and when you get good at playing the angles, Fury shines even more with the ability to Ottos/adrenaline/slaying arrow to take out an entire pack.
    Thanks for the reply (soulfurnace, too).

Been a while since I've used Pin...how much does it cut movement down on stuff that isn't standing still? If I drop Leg Shot and Steady Aim...and find 4 more AP somewhere, I could pick up the +1 Ki from Henshin...I swap to Ocean when I remember to, and drop into sneak mode when running from place to place, buffing, etc... with the +1 from Ninja Spy. With Enlightenment and Ocean, that's +3 passive. What are you running for enhancements?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Thanks for the reply (soulfurnace, too).

Been a while since I've used Pin...how much does it cut movement down on stuff that isn't standing still? If I drop Leg Shot and Steady Aim...and find 4 more AP somewhere, I could pick up the +1 Ki from Henshin...I swap to Ocean when I remember to, and drop into sneak mode when running from place to place, buffing, etc... with the +1 from Ninja Spy. With Enlightenment and Ocean, that's +3 passive. What are you running for enhancements?

Pin has one of two effects. If you use it on a mob that is stationary (rotating is fine, running is not), that mob will be pinned- it can still move, but the movement rate is sloth-on-quaaludes. If the target is moving, it'll be slowed considerably (roughly 50%). Otto's will cause a moving target to dance. Both Ottos and Pin (on a stationary target) will make that target helpless: this is how you get that tasty +90% helpless damage. On tough single orange name, they can be alternated to great effect to keep it permanently CC'ed and helpless. Neither has a save, but Otto's is a little picky: if you're moving or changing elevation vis a vis the target, there's a fair chance you wont see any effect.

As far as enhancements go, I'm still playing with that myself. Been using AA with enough points in Deepwood Sniper for Sniper Shot (it is fantastic with adrenaline, and great anyway), but I'm going to flip focus to DWS for a while, see how I like it. Both seem pretty strong to me, with DWS probably ahead on bosses due to the ability to quickly build up Archers Focus stacks. I've actually currently not put any points in Ninja Spy at all: that was to avoid the bugged dex-to-damage core, but now that is fixed, so that will be revisited too. Personally, I think I get a lot more survivability out of judicious abundant steps than an extra 15% incorp, so I'm not looking to pick up shadow fade- I think its an unnecessary ki drain on an AA, although you can pry it from my melee's cold dead hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast