Community Member

Default What to do with my ranger?

He's currently a 12 ranger, 2 fighter, 6 barbarian build. He's also outdated and no longer functional in much of any content. I've been considering going with a 14/6 ranger/fighter split, but I'm concerned it won't be much better. I don't have monk so I can't use that. What I'm looking for is a build which is just all around decent; good healing, good survivability, good dps, good damage mitigation, and just good all around. Assuming this is impossible, my focus then shifts to dps and surviving.

on my ranger I went 18 ranger/1fighter/1rogue Dex based build, using the tempest enhancement line to use Dex for to hit and damage with all light weapons.

So far it is fun, rogue skills are close to what my pure rogue has at same level.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo
    Proud member of the HighLords of Malkier

Community Member

good healing
    Deep wood sniper gives 75 healing power so your self healing should be good

good survivability
    PRR and Dodge - take dodge feat, dodge enhancements and some gear you will be 20+ quickly, PRR in the 60's is not far off

good dps
    Barbarian Tempest - we should all be lucky enough to have this type of dps (crit multiplier enhancements and feats would be a good idea)

good damage mitigation
    see survivability

I expect you just need to re-gear your toon, and not find something else. You should have extra feats in this build, so toughness or dodge feats (mobility, spring attack) should be ez to get.

Unless this was some sort of Bowbarian, then.... ummmmmmmm, good luck.
    Khyber:
    Lunality, Sorcality, Tunality, Axation, Causation, Shurality, Desparality, Stingality and a few more...
    Stingality

Quote Originally Posted by Varashad View Post
    What I'm looking for is a build which is just all around decent; good healing, good survivability, good dps, good damage mitigation.
    Let's talk about healing/survivability/damage mitigation.

Tempest tree provides bonuses to:
    AC (up to +10)
    ref saves (+3)
    trap saves (+3)
    PRR (+10)
    dodge (+3%)
    max dex bonus and max dodge (+3)
    elaborate parry (up to +30% dodge for 15 secs)
    evasive dance (also known as improved evasion)

Deepwood Stalker provides:
    positive spellpower (+75)
    AC against favored enemies (+6)
    saves against favored enemies (+3)

Now I'll consider damage. Lots of doublestrike, AOE attacks, sneak attacks, autobluff every 6 seconds, manyshots.
    You have just to choose between str and dex: forget tactical feats and Overwhelming Crit, max dex and you'll be very survivable OR max out str while retaining a decent dex and you'll be survivable, with OC and with a meaningful Manyshots.

If you ask me, pure ranger is well balanced and enjoyable.

I'm liking the "Tempest Trapmonkey" setup myself with the Ranger 18/Rogue 1/Fighter 1. Human STR-based.

Though once they fix that capstone that might be the best DPS option.

Community Member

Hmmm, alright, sounds like good advice. I'll go try out my toon with some new gear, and if I don't like it do the LR into a pure ranger. Thanks!