Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Member

Default Arcane Archer Trapfinder- Need some advice

I want to build an Arcane Archer Ranger that can disable traps and open locks to use when soloing or if a rogue can't be found. I can't decide between using Rogue or Artificer levels for this. I'm looking for 15-16 Ranger levels, and 4-5 Rogue/Artificer levels.
    Some other info:

Race: Human
    Character is currently level 14 (10 Ranger/4Rogue). I will be using the free +20 LR given as part of the new enhancements system, the order that levels in each class are taken is not important.
    Will have Dragonmark of Finding as Human bonus feat (upgraded to Greater via Enhancements)
    Any extra SP will probably be dumped into Haggle, unless someone can suggest something better.
    I have access to 32pt builds

While I'm just looking for some advice one what class to take for my Disable Device and Open Locks skills, if anyone has a tested and viable build to recommend, that would be appreciated too.
    Last edited by skorpion352; 09-02-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Community Member

I am making a 12 Ranger / 7 Bard / 1 Rogue for exactly this purpose. He's an Elf both for the DEX to bow line and the auto-search line (which at -4 penalty is still quite good if you've got it high enough). This gives you access to 3 +spot/search/listen enhancements (Elf, Deepwood, Mechanic) and you can max out search/spot/disable/etc fairly easily. Also with his Bard self-buffs he's a great archer as well.

So far he's lvl 13 and doing great.

Feats:
    Point-Blank Shot
    Toughness
    Mental Toughness
    Improved Critical: Ranged
    Empower Healing
    Precision
    <blank>

Imho, 15 Ranger levels are a nice place to stop: At this time, you have 2 level 4 spells (Cure Serious Wounds, Freedom of Movement) and get another favored enemy. 5 Rogue levels grant you 3d6 Sneak Attack damage, and full access to the Rogue trees, with the exeption of some core abilities. Personally, I don't see any of the level 6 core abilitie to be that important, so 5 Rog seems a nice place to stop.

If you want to trade sneak attack damage for better healing options, you can have a look at 18ranger/1/1-Splits, e.g. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...or-new-players

For skills, I think that UMD, Search, Disable Device, Spot, Open Lock and Heal are skills which will beneficial.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.