Default Post 19 WF Sorc Spellcraft/Repair and Use Magic Device

So I haven't LRed my WF Sorc yet as I'm debating how I should reallocate my skill point selection with the new Spellcraft and Repair skill overhaul. I would like to keep my Use Magic Device maximized still. Though to keep everything the same, I'd have cough up 42 new skill points... which, even if I ate a +5 Int tome, I'd have ~18 extra points to spend (currently have a +2 tome on).

So I can probably handle the Spellcraft skill without a hitch, but then I'm left with ~8 skillpoints for Repair (taken out of Balance since air savant's knockdown immunity). I'm wondering how people are redistributing with the new system; are Sorc still dumping into UMD as a priority?

My other thought was to maybe boost up my Int to gain those extra skill points for Repair, probably taken out of Strength. Any advice on how people are reallocating their attributes/skills for WF Sorc would be great.

Thanks

To be honest I've never really seen the point in UMD on a WF sorc. The only thing I can really see it being used for is raise dead, and crafting a GS clicky makes more sense to me.

When I redid mine I did Max out the spell craft but ignored repair. Fairly sure I'm still getting 250+ back of a reconstruct, more than enough for those "oh ****" moments.

It may well be different if your living in EE quests, but for all heroic difficulties and EN/EH it works for me.

As with all things YMMV

G
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Quote Originally Posted by Garix View Post
    To be honest I've never really seen the point in UMD on a WF sorc. The only thing I can really see it being used for is raise dead, and crafting a GS clicky makes more sense to me.

When I redid mine I did Max out the spell craft but ignored repair. Fairly sure I'm still getting 250+ back of a reconstruct, more than enough for those "oh ****" moments.

It may well be different if your living in EE quests, but for all heroic difficulties and EN/EH it works for me.

As with all things YMMV

G
    The only important benchmark for UMD is raise dead/heal scrolls at 39. You can get that fairly easily with minimal investment into UMD. On my completionist, I started with 14 int and invested in concentration, spellcraft, repair and leftover points into UMD (~10 UMD after +4 int tome) and have more than enough. I would even consider putting into heal instead, for the rare negative shiradi proc plus fooling around with death aura for extra procs.

Talking

As was mentioned in an above post, I'm not a big fan of UMD on a WF Sorc as I have a Raise Dead Clickie on a piece of GS and that is usually sufficient for group play.

With the Spellcraft changes, I've also re-configured my WF Sorc a bit and re-distributed some Stat points around in addition to Skill Points. ( I am assuming you're WF)

10 Str, 10 Dex, 18 Con, 14 Int, 8 Wis, 16 Cha

I've also eaten a +4 Int Tome

Here's my skill layout (which I could change up a bit to get IMD, but...that means an LR I don't have without spending my +20...which I'm not going to do since I plan on using it to get a life I dont want to grind out...like bard or barbarian)

23 (MAX) Concentration
    23 (MAX) Spellcraft (4 points were spent at .5 each since Spellcraft is not a Paladin skill and I took Pally at 19 and 20)
    11 Repair (22 points spent @ .5 each)
    11 Haggle (22 points spent @ .5 each)
    18 Bluff

You could easily spend the haggle points or bluff points in UMD - which would easily give you enough for scrolling Raise Dead.
    "Melkorr (Completionist "Toaster of Vengeance") ~ Angrond (TWF Jugg) ~ Telchacar ~ Celebrimor (Bank) ~ Manados
    Thelanis

Officer of The Innfellows

Quote Originally Posted by Shuricain View Post
    So I haven't LRed my WF Sorc yet as I'm debating how I should reallocate my skill point selection with the new Spellcraft and Repair skill overhaul. I would like to keep my Use Magic Device maximized still. Though to keep everything the same, I'd have cough up 42 new skill points... which, even if I ate a +5 Int tome, I'd have ~18 extra points to spend (currently have a +2 tome on).

So I can probably handle the Spellcraft skill without a hitch, but then I'm left with ~8 skillpoints for Repair (taken out of Balance since air savant's knockdown immunity). I'm wondering how people are redistributing with the new system; are Sorc still dumping into UMD as a priority?

My other thought was to maybe boost up my Int to gain those extra skill points for Repair, probably taken out of Strength. Any advice on how people are reallocating their attributes/skills for WF Sorc would be great.

Thanks
    Spell craft is a must , repair not so much.
    My WF wiz with rogue splash is reconing for a ton more than he used to and I didn't put any more points in to repair than the 4 at level 1 rogue.
    The WF racial repair amp and usp does plenty.
    I had recon slotted in a red slot but gave it up after realizing I was repairing for a ton more than I was before win it.
    Went from like 275 before to just under 400 now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garix View Post

As with all things YMMV

G
    Agreed...I dumped UMD. You can still get a chance on UMD on raise dead scrolls even if you don't put many points in it btw if you insist on keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Toro12 View Post
    Spell craft is a must , repair not so much.
    My WF wiz with rogue splash is reconing for a ton more than he used to and I didn't put any more points in to repair than the 4 at level 1 rogue.
    The WF racial repair amp and usp does plenty.
    I had recon slotted in a red slot but gave it up after realizing I was repairing for a ton more than I was before win it.
    Went from like 275 before to just under 400 now.

Point #1 - WF racial repair amp is wasted on a WF sorc if you put a little in the repair skill - you should have plenty of skill points to do it if you put a few points into Intelligence (which you'll want to do for the Spellcraft skill anyways). To max it, it takes 6 AP, which is much better spent in a Savant Tree to get a bit more spell power (Remember that you get .75 SP per point spent in your Savant Trees)

Point #2 Reconstructing for under 400 is a waste of Spell Points in EE unless you rely on a heal bot to keep you alive. MoBs hit for 400 a whack and reconstruct has a 5 second cool down. If you play EE content you will want to be able to Recon for close to a full red bar and hit it when it does the most for you...usually around 1/4 to 1/3 HPs left. My WF sorc has just over 800 HP when buffed and my Reconstruct goes off for 675 unless I crit. (over 1200 with a crit, which is overkill, but I don't crit on reconstructs very often). I try to only hit reconstruct when I'm under 300 HP - and since I have healing spring going all the time it isn't much. (BTW, Repair helps with healing spring too). With this in mind, you want to slot Reconstruuct 114 in your weapon of choice - what else are you planning on slotting in a red slot anyways on a Sorc?

Point #3 - Rogue Splash - Guessing you dropped a bunch of skill points into rogue skills instead of caster skills... How well does this work at end game - just curious since I'm writing a very long thread on Shiradi Sorcs and I never mention Rogue splash. If it works well, I'd like to know more.
    Last edited by thesnoman; 09-01-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    "Melkorr (Completionist "Toaster of Vengeance") ~ Angrond (TWF Jugg) ~ Telchacar ~ Celebrimor (Bank) ~ Manados
    Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by thesnoman View Post
    Point #1 - WF racial repair amp is wasted on a WF sorc if you put a little in the repair skill - you should have plenty of skill points to do it if you put a few points into Intelligence (which you'll want to do for the Spellcraft skill anyways). To max it, it takes 6 AP, which is much better spent in a Savant Tree to get a bit more spell power (Remember that you get .75 SP per point spent in your Savant Trees)

Point #2 Reconstructing for under 400 is a waste of Spell Points in EE unless you rely on a heal bot to keep you alive. MoBs hit for 400 a whack and reconstruct has a 5 second cool down. If you play EE content you will want to be able to Recon for close to a full red bar and hit it when it does the most for you...usually around 1/4 to 1/3 HPs left. My WF sorc has just over 800 HP when buffed and my Reconstruct goes off for 675 unless I crit. (over 1200 with a crit, which is overkill, but I don't crit on reconstructs very often). I try to only hit reconstruct when I'm under 300 HP - and since I have healing spring going all the time it isn't much. (BTW, Repair helps with healing spring too). With this in mind, you want to slot Reconstruuct 114 in your weapon of choice - what else are you planning on slotting in a red slot anyways on a Sorc?

Point #3 - Rogue Splash - Guessing you dropped a bunch of skill points into rogue skills instead of caster skills... How well does this work at end game - just curious since I'm writing a very long thread on Shiradi Sorcs and I never mention Rogue splash. If it works well, I'd like to know more.
    Mine is a wizard splashed rogue.

I was just explaining that my repairs increased dramatically.

4.5 spell power not worth a ton more repair? Strange considering how important you just stated that max repairs are in EE. In that case 6ap and 4.5 sp sounds like a fine trade for a ton more repair.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    The only important benchmark for UMD is raise dead/heal scrolls at 39. You can get that fairly easily with minimal investment into UMD. On my completionist, I started with 14 int and invested in concentration, spellcraft, repair and leftover points into UMD (~10 UMD after +4 int tome) and have more than enough. I would even consider putting into heal instead, for the rare negative shiradi proc plus fooling around with death aura for extra procs.
    Oh Also,

Don't forget to take perform! Sonic spellpower is important for a shiradi sorc (though less important than before). It's still cheap spellpower at very little opportunity cost, so why not. Start with 14 int for 4 pts/level and 5/level after a +2 int tome. Spellcraft, concentration, repair, perform. Leftover points into UMD and/or heal (negative spellpower for rare shiradi procs). Honestly, at cap you probably don't need any points into UMD to hit 39 easily.

Exclamation Why a Wiz splashed Rogue should not be giving advice to a Shiradi Sorc...

Mine is a wizard splashed rogue.
    Your build is a totally different monster than the build the OP is talking about. So...I'm curious why you are giving advice about a build you aren't familiar with.

On top of that, If you're a Rogue with wizard splash, You should be able to sink 23 points into Repair without issue. You get a ton more Skill Points than a Sorc AND since both Wiz and Rogue are Int Based you should be getting even MORE skill points since skill points are based on Int..

I was just explaining that my repairs increased dramatically.
    Of course they did - but you're far better off investing 23 Skill Points in the Repair Skill than 6 AP in the WF Racial Tree - even more so in your case given my above points

4.5 spell power not worth a ton more repair? Strange considering how important you just stated that max repairs are in EE. In that case 6ap and 4.5 sp sounds like a fine trade for a ton more repair.
    My point is this:

23 points spent in Repair is better that 6 AP spent in the WF Racial Tree.
    23 points spent in Repair negates the need for putting ANY points in the WF Repair enhancement since at that point it becomes overkill - lowering your DPS for a bit of extra HPs that you'll never actually need since you're repairing for more HPs than your red bar can handle.

(Think about those Clerics you know that have sunk all their points and APs into the ability to heal - rendering them useless in a fight except to heal all the 800-1000 HP party mates for 2500HP at a time)

It's also not just 4.5 Spell Power - could be an additional +1 to Charisma, Increased Crit Chance, or any of the other, MUCH MORE IMPORTANT enhancements in your Savant Trees.

Again - if you built with repair in mind you are WASTING AP by dumping it into the Repair enhancements - you're much better off adding the AP to a Savant tree.
    Thelanis