Thumbs up The Mountain - Pure Bard dwarf Warchanter

Well I've been looking for a build that is both efficient and fun to play, looking around at the enhancement pass I stumble on something bizarre. Dwarfs can get enhancements that let them use CON for damage with Axes, picks and hammers.

Searching for a way to utilize that and build a sturdy character, self sufficient, medium DPS and UMD usage I finaly chose to make a pure warchanter and test it out the new capstone.

I won't use a planner, just lay out the idea and hope for a good feedback

32 point build
    STR 14
    CON 20 (all level ups here)
    DEX 10
    INT 10
    WIS 8
    CHA 12

Feats in order - (1) Toughness (3) Power Attack (6) Weapon Focus (9) Extend Spell (12) Cleave (15) Great Cleave (18) Empower Healing (21) Inspire Excellence (24) Improved Critical

Skills - UMD, Concentration, Perform, Balance, Bluff, Jump, Tumble (2 points)

Planning on using backup scrolls such as Heal,ressuct, etc and going to try out to use tensers transform scrolls

Very tight on feat selection was hoping to put Quicken and Skill focus (UMD), probaly trade toughness for quicken spell (since looks like wont need it for enhancements and already sitting on a huge HP)

Going to wield a greataxe, chopping away the enemies. Big weakness would be my reflex save, make sure to plan ahead and use lots of fire/cold shield scrolls
    Last edited by Bumbaragum; 08-14-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Unless I'm missing something, Weap Focus is no longer a Warchanter pre-req. Yay!

Also, bear in mind that the CON dmg from dwarves (or DEX dmg from elves) will only apply 1x to 2H weapons, not the 1.5x bonus from STR you normally get. As such, I think this approach only makes sense w/TWF (to the extent it makes any sense), because your offhand will get 1x from CON, not 0.5x from STR. Lowering INT, CHA, and/or CON would let you bump up DEX to 15 for TWF. I'm considering doing something along those lines w/my Kublai Khan build, although going CON-based means giving up Overwhelming Crit, probably for eToughness instead.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default interesting

Something myself and some guildies were discussing last night:

Building a Max Con Dwarf Ranger using the auoto granted TWF x3 (with NO dex requirement and maxing out CON for a Con based damage/to hit tempest. You would need a 13 Dex for Tempest but that's it. I haven't played it yet and am not sure if the requirements have changed or not. You could maybe even mix this in with Kensai after you get the GTF. Could be a pretty nasry Dwarf if it works

B
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehawke View Post
    Something myself and some guildies were discussing last night:

Building a Max Con Dwarf Ranger using the auoto granted TWF x3 (with NO dex requirement and maxing out CON for a Con based damage/to hit tempest. You would need a 13 Dex for Tempest but that's it. I haven't played it yet and am not sure if the requirements have changed or not. You could maybe even mix this in with Kensai after you get the GTF. Could be a pretty nasry Dwarf if it works

B
    Throw Your Weight Around doesn't grant CON to hit, only to damage.
    A CON based dwarf tempest is still viable, but you must have enough STR to effectively hit things. A drawback is that you can't use tactical feats effectively, and have to worry about STR nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, Weap Focus is no longer a Warchanter pre-req. Yay!

Also, bear in mind that the CON dmg from dwarves (or DEX dmg from elves) will only apply 1x to 2H weapons, not the 1.5x bonus from STR you normally get. As such, I think this approach only makes sense w/TWF (to the extent it makes any sense), because your offhand will get 1x from CON, not 0.5x from STR. Lowering INT, CHA, and/or CON would let you bump up DEX to 15 for TWF. I'm considering doing something along those lines w/my Kublai Khan build, although going CON-based means giving up Overwhelming Crit, probably for eToughness instead.
    Two handed weapons will now correctly apply 1.5 times the stat mod for all ability scores not just strength.
    Offhand attacks will now correctly apply half the stat mod for all ability scores not just strength.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...30#post4503430
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehawke View Post
    You would need a 13 Dex for Tempest but that's it.
    Unless I missed it, Tempest no longer req's D/M/SA chain, which means you could dump DEX on a Tempest II+ build now.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatneil View Post
    Two handed weapons will now correctly apply 1.5 times the stat mod for all ability scores not just strength.
    Offhand attacks will now correctly apply half the stat mod for all ability scores not just strength.
    Good news for 2H builds, sorta-bad news for TWF builds.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Interesting in theory, but your to-hit stat is extremly low. (CON only goes on damage, to-hit still stays STR).

So you just went from 1-stat requirements, to 2-stas requirements. Bad.

But!

If you want to go a no-STR Bard build, think about going ... tadaaa ... Weapon Finess TWF. DEX to-hit, CON to damage.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzassassin (just passing through - ignore me) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post
    Interesting in theory, but your to-hit stat is extremly low. (CON only goes on damage, to-hit still stays STR).

So you just went from 1-stat requirements, to 2-stas requirements. Bad.

Well I didnt increase stat requirement because CON is not a dump stat! with a starting STR of 14, greater heroism, rage, 4 enhancements for to hit with axes, gear and the fairly new mechanics on attack/defense it will be alright.

It's already a feat starved build, going weapon finesse and the full TWF line will be a heavy investment, plus you won't be using the major goodies on end game weapon with light hammers/axes/picks. With THF you have Cleaver, Antique Axe, Fury of the flame, hammer of life.

Would be more interesting for a drow or Elf build, maybe sparing a few lvls of rogue to get better use of a high DEX with evasion. But thats another story, here is all about The Mountain.
    Last edited by Bumbaragum; 08-17-2013 at 08:59 AM.