Exclamation Excessive awesomium_process.exe causing issues!

Recently I've been noticing issues with my DDO client.
    It's taking forever to load (sometimes 5 minutes to start the game after selecting a character!) and after playing for a while it's locking up the entire computer to the point I have to hard-reset. This REALLY concerns me because I don't want to damage my system due to locking up/resets.
    I'd not had these problems previously (before last "major" update) and my system (specs below) made for very little load times.

CPU: Intel i7-3930k
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB PCI-e 3.0
    Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
    Memory: Corsair 16GB Low Profile DDR3 1600 CML16GX3M4X1600C8
    Harddrive1: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 6.0Gb/s
    Harddrive2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

So after this happening a few times, I'm looking through task manager to see if there's something going on that shouldn't be and I spot about 10+ instances (!?!?!?!???) of awesomium_process.exe running. Naturally, I search online to find out what the heck it is and find out it manages the game windows in DDO (DDO Browser/DDO Store...)

I tried closing them, but they pop back up again within a few minutes of playing. They're chewing up system resources like crazy and slowing the game down.

As a test, I changed the user access to prevent awesomium_process.exe from running to see how it would effect my game... and lo and behold: No crashing. Even after 4-5 hours of gameplay. Load times are cut to a fraction of what they were. I can't access the DDO store or help functions, but I didn't use those most the time I was playing anyways (normally only once at the beginning of my gaming session).

After re-enabling awesomium_process.exe, my game has returned to crashing and slow load times.

So... what should I do?
    I can disable awesomium_process.exe so I'd not have my computer crashing/locking up/long load times and I'd just not have access to the DDO Store/in-game support tickets... or I keep it running and have issues?
    My main concern is I think it's against the EULA to mess with it... but if it's preventing me from playing the game in the first place..?
    Last edited by Velluminous; 08-10-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    DDO Player since 2006. Lifetime VIP. Originally from Lhazaar; Now residing on Ghallanda.
    Check my (far from complete) DDO walkthrough videos at Youtube.com/Velluminous

Since they appeared many people have been killing them to play, so don't be worried about killing them.
    For some people it's the only way to be able to play at all even if Turbine does not recommend killing them.
    ( well they actually stated that it would crash the game... except that we know the game only crash if you try to open a webpage )

The processes, as you have found out are in game browsers for all the web based, if you kill them you won't be able to use them...
    There is usually 7 running, 2 at character selection ( store and launcher alerts ), and when you swap characters, if you killed some they reappear.

Now these processes were put in there to replace the embedded version ( run through a DLL ) due to some sloppy work from the web design department of the store, where they generated links that could have been too long for said embedded browser to handle... And instead of fixing those long links they fixed the browser by using a full external browser forked from the Dndclient process... And while they were at it, they made that browser pre-load all the pages.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Time Bandit
    ex DDO Players Council

Killing ddoclient.exe itself in Task Manager then immediately restarting the game (rather than the computer) works, if that's any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Since they appeared many people have been killing them to play, so don't be worried about killing them.
    For some people it's the only way to be able to play at all even if Turbine does not recommend killing them.
    ( well they actually stated that it would crash the game... except that we know the game only crash if you try to open a webpage )
    I'd already managed to find out quite a bit about the program from a simple web search, but thanks for the added info.
    Right now, I'm just disabling it to prevent my machine from locking up and forcing a restart (my hardware's integrity is the priority). Load times have dramatically dropped and (like I said) I don't really use the DDO Store/Web Browser in-game all that often, so I can just re-enable it when I need to use those.
    For now, this is how I'll play... hopefully this issue gets resolved quickly since it effects many users, but I've seen turbine's track record for these things so...

Quote Originally Posted by Natashaelle View Post
    Killing ddoclient.exe itself in Task Manager then immediately restarting the game (rather than the computer) works, if that's any help.
    Doesn't really help my particular situation, but thanks for the response!
    DDO Player since 2006. Lifetime VIP. Originally from Lhazaar; Now residing on Ghallanda.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

I too would like to thank the staff at Turbine for introducing Awesomium_process to the client hardware as it has increased my client crashes exponentially and caused playing the game to lose value. Prior to the introduction to this file I had zero client issues. Please continue adding things that make the enjoyment of this game less and less.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Indeed. As of today's patch/update, I'm crashing ever 5 minutes or so (sometimes as soon as I log in)...
    I went from having no crashes to occasional crashes (which I fixed by blocking Awesomium), to crashing to the point that I can't play the game.

I literally just ran Friends in Low Places on EH, solo w/hirelings. I crashed a grand total of 54 times during the final boss encounter... Took me around 4 hours to complete because I was constantly having to restart the game, log back in, play 1 minute, crash, repeat. One time, I logged back and found myself alive, STANDING ON MY OWN SOULSTONE! What the heck, Turbine? I've never had this many issues with the game.

Edit/Update: Game doesn't seem to be crashing now that I completely uninstalled/reinstalled... Must've been an issue with an update not applying properly? Who knows? Complete uninstall/reinstall worked though.
    Last edited by Velluminous; 08-20-2013 at 06:10 PM.