Community Member

Default coming back to the game... worth?

I left the game around the time of the epic release, when they were first rolling out the lvl 25 expansion and dramatic item changes. Before then, it was fun, always being able to find a group as a cleric and occasionally running into people using voice chat. F2P, but still had fun with the three raids there were at cap. Then came the expansion. Got frustrated with the limited amount of f2p content, sitting at lvl cap with no incentive to TR, item changes, declining PUG scene. Tried lvling accounts on other servers for favor->TP->packs, got bored.

Having wandered about the internet, and quickly getting burned out on MOBAs, I've stumbled my way back here. What's changed (besides the forums) in the last year+? Should I stay and shuffle through my pile of stuff and organize for a TR? Any essential content I could spend TP from favor running on to make a second try enjoyable? Or should I keep wandering on to the next game? Should I hang up my gaming mouse and focus on college, like a responsible person should?

---------
    Inokari the errant cleric

Quote Originally Posted by TimeIsDead View Post
    I left the game around the time of the epic release, when they were first rolling out the lvl 25 expansion and dramatic item changes. Before then, it was fun, always being able to find a group as a cleric and occasionally running into people using voice chat. F2P, but still had fun with the three raids there were at cap. Then came the expansion. Got frustrated with the limited amount of f2p content, sitting at lvl cap with no incentive to TR, item changes, declining PUG scene. Tried lvling accounts on other servers for favor->TP->packs, got bored.

Having wandered about the internet, and quickly getting burned out on MOBAs, I've stumbled my way back here. What's changed (besides the forums) in the last year+? Should I stay and shuffle through my pile of stuff and organize for a TR? Any essential content I could spend TP from favor running on to make a second try enjoyable? Or should I keep wandering on to the next game? Should I hang up my gaming mouse and focus on college, like a responsible person should?

---------
    Inokari the errant cleric
    very hard to advice with only this info given but my best guess is unless ur willing to buy content there is no point in coming back. grinding out TP favor is not a viable option for any sane normal person ud spend more time grinding TP then ud spend playing the content probably
    Last edited by Uidolon; 07-14-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Also leveling a tr is going nda nda nda nda so without all the packs it might become very difficult to impossible to do.

doesn't hurt to log on and play to see if you find enjoyment. every person who comments would have a different opinion, but most people on the forums still play so that should say something.

2nd life is doable on f2p with not much unlocked, but 3rd life will be really painful. Do they still do the MOTU bundle packs? one of those had a really efficient money:content return rate if you were going from f2p to p2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    We like the fact it’s a choice as suppose to, “hell we just kill yonder dragon cause we’re OP”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I say we take off and nerf the whole game from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I would vote for focusing on college like a responsible person, but I may burn for my hypocrisy. Play a little, feel it out, then make up your mind.
    1776 Growing Liberty for Centuries 2022

Community Member

I would say no. I still get a little bit of pleasure out of this game, but that's because I'm physically tied to someone who loves it. There are a lot of games out there, none of which you should play while in school, which will treat you better, and provide quite a bit more enjoyment as they tend to be less black and white about player skill.

That's just my opinion, and I know that a lot of people still like this game. I simply can't see how it competes anymore.

V

Quote Originally Posted by TimeIsDead View Post
    Should I hang up my gaming mouse and focus on college, like a responsible person should?
    I know if MMOs (or even the Internet) had existed when I went to college, I would have flunked out.

I vote for focusing on college, and gaining some real skills so in a few years you can afford to buy some content instead of being stuck with just the ftp stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member

Default Try Path of Exile

PoE is a great game. In many ways better than DDO, particularly if you're in school.

The whole game is FtP, donation based. You can throw them $5 or $20 or what ever you feel you can afford and have fun.

Dozens of cool builds to try or make up your own.

Real PvP.

Real end-game.

Dedicated permadeath servers, if you are into that.

The skill tree is everything DDO's enhancement pass should have been.

Game sessions may be shorter, just log in for 5 min between classes, and still make some progress.

Download it and give it a try.

That's what I'm playing during the time I can't lof into DDO, may not even come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadnettle View Post
    PoE is a great game. In many ways better than DDO, particularly if you're in school.

The whole game is FtP, donation based. You can throw them $5 or $20 or what ever you feel you can afford and have fun.

Dozens of cool builds to try or make up your own.

Real PvP.

Real end-game.

Dedicated permadeath servers, if you are into that.

The skill tree is everything DDO's enhancement pass should have been.

Game sessions may be shorter, just log in for 5 min between classes, and still make some progress.

Download it and give it a try.

That's what I'm playing during the time I can't lof into DDO, may not even come back.
    This is good advice. after 7 years on and off, I uninstalled ddo after playing path of exile. I won't be changing my mind.
    Tenfour-Dominican-Bashdem-Spielbergo of Orien

Uber Completionist
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Jitty View Post
    This is good advice. after 7 years on and off, I uninstalled ddo after playing path of exile. I won't be changing my mind.
    I feel sad hearing this, i was hoping you would come back sometime
    Shalera
    Shalera Dagen - Triple Epic and Triple heroic Completionist. Life too many to count...