Thread: Noob Rogue here

Community Member

Default Noob Rogue here

HI all,

I just started palying this game with my bro last ngiht. He rolled a sorc, so we will mostly be playing together. My starting stats arent to hot compared to what I have been seeing as the prefered builds. I want to do the assasin class. I started with the following stats:

18 Dex
    12 Str
    12 Int
    14 Con
    8Wis
    6 Char

Now I read some where Dex rogue is obsolete. Is this true? Can I still be an effective assasin with this base stat line and be a more dex based one or am I wasting my time? Thanks for any help!

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySunday View Post
    HI all,

I just started palying this game with my bro last ngiht. He rolled a sorc, so we will mostly be playing together. My starting stats arent to hot compared to what I have been seeing as the prefered builds. I want to do the assasin class. I started with the following stats:

18 Dex
    12 Str
    12 Int
    14 Con
    8Wis
    6 Char

Now I read some where Dex rogue is obsolete. Is this true? Can I still be an effective assasin with this base stat line and be a more dex based one or am I wasting my time? Thanks for any help!
    Dex rogue will likely become popular again when the enhancement pass hits (likely to be with the expansion in August unless it gets delayed again) and you can use dex for your hit and damage.

Community Member

With rogues going for more strength do they not have an issue with stealthing and AC?

Community Member

Also Im thining of takin one in fighter for profic. and such. Is there any draw back to this? I want to make su re it wont casue me t o miss amajor rogue feat. Thanks!

Don't bother with AC. Current system, you will not reach meaningful AC for harder difficulties, unless you're in heavier armours (with no evasion). Monks are exempt, until EE.

Stealth skills (Move Silently and Hide) do not require dex-based toons. Just max ranks with an item will suffice for most content. (Hell, you don't even need hide, if you're good at sneaking. Still nice to have, but not needed)

What does one fighter give you? Martial weapon prof, a feat and haste boost (you have this from rogue)... Anything else? You give up 4d6 sneak attack damage from the capstone (and 4d6 is a nice boost)

Hell, after enhancement pass, I will most likely be rolling dex-based chars more often. Then, it's viable, with better reflex save. But for now, steer clear would be my advice.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

With rogues going for more strength do they not have an issue with stealthing and AC?
    I never really worried about AC that much. Bumping your dodge as high as you can seems more useful to me. Carry around a +hide/move silently item for when you really need to be stealthy. Personally as long as I have someone else to draw agro I just hope into stealth long enough to assassinate something. If someone else has agro it doesn't matter if they can see you or not.

Also Im thining of takin one in fighter for profic. and such. Is there any draw back to this? I want to make su re it wont casue me t o miss amajor rogue feat. Thanks!
    The rogue capstone is pretty nice +2 Int to up your assassinate DC's and +4d6 to your sneak attack. If your looking for weapon proficiency you can UMD master's touch scrolls fairly easily. (As long as you're not trying to use a 2 handed weapon)

You could probably move some of that Dex to Int for assassin.
    1776 Growing Liberty for Centuries 2022

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    You could probably move some of that Dex to Int for assassin.
    ^ This, INT affects your Assassinate DC.. first life will need all you can spare. Like another poster said, splashing will keep you from getting the deadly shadow which is +2 INT and 4d6 sneak attack.

Just a few other things to thing about in regard to ability benchmarks:

13 str = access to power attack feat (may or may not want)

13 dex / BAB 1 = needed for precision feat (may or may not want)
    15 dex = needed for two weapon fighting
    17 dex = needed for improved two weapon fighting
    21 dex = needed for improved sneak attack (epic feat, 3d6 sneak attack dice) - needed by lvl 21 or 24

A few things to consider with the upcoming enhancement pass, keep in mind that they could change it:

- Rogue assassin tree has a Dex-to-damage on knives/kukri's as well a dex-to-damage on FINESSE weapons, meaning you will need the weapon finesse feat to make that work.

- Rogue mechanics with repeater proficiency have int-to-hit (i think) and int-to damage capabilities... it is possible to get some of these abilities as a secondary to your rogue assassin given the amount of points available. I'm convinced the human tree is pretty worthless so perhaps you can dump it.

Community Member

there should be an option for deleting duplicate posts.

if you want to keep your char as it is and not to reroll then you should consider few things.

-With high DEX you need to take weapon finesse so you can apply your dex mod to attacks, str mod will still apply to your damage.

-As an assassin you should use two weapons ofc so you need to get TWF line (as RoguemcStabby said) so keep in mind that you will need 15/17 base dex to get it (a base stat is calculated as: starting stat+level ups+tome).

-Since you will be using weapon finesse you will have to use weapons that are appropriate for it. To quote wiki: "The following weapon types benefit from Weapon Finesse: Dagger, Handaxe, Kama, Kukri, Light hammer, Light mace, Light pick, Rapier, Shortsword, Sickle, Unarmed or in a Druid animal form." Every other weapon wont be affected by finesse and will use str mod for both attack and damage.

-As an assassin you will need high INT so you can have high assassinate DC. So if you keep your build as it is i suggest you should invest 3-4 level up stats into INT (thats just my opinion).

-If you considering splashing fighter in then a good combo is 18rogue/2fighter since those fighter levels provide you:+2 feats and as enhancements +1 STR,+10 hp which they are really nice although they work better on a STR based rogue who focuses on damage and not assassinate and such. If not then capstone is the way to go since its pretty nice and the feats you need they can fit in easily. Also since you will use finesse you wont need proficiency for many of those weaps.

If you considering to reroll then go 16/17 base dex and add the remaining points to INT since you want to play that type of rogue. Else as a STR based rogue just max out str, keep dex to the min required for TWF line, int to an amount of 10-12 and pump con.

Just figure out how you want to play and add in any advice you can get.

Hope that helps dude.
    Gimpfest
    Gorlacon 6th life BF Assassin ~ Gyristroula 6th life Human Disciple of Light ~ Reepz 5th life PDK Kensei ~ Gorlaxz 5th life BF Pala
    Orien

Don't forget Crescents. Weapon finesse works with this named quarterstaff from Twilight Forge.
    1776 Growing Liberty for Centuries 2022

Community Member

Thanks alot for the information. Very helpful!