Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bladeforged Tempest Pal 2/Rng 18?

Is this even worth it? I've wanted to try a WF Tempest Ranger for a while now but never got around to it. Bladeforged would let me try a Tempest Ranger quickly, and I figure it's a decent way to get around the -2 Dex penalty and still get TWF.

Not sure if there is much synergy there otherwise though. Thoughts?

Its not worth it. Its a worse combination then a Bladeforged Paladin.

Reason:
    - Healing Penalty and no Repair spells to even try and make up for it
    - Two Pld is a poor splash on a Ranger. Charisma is a dump stat.

Honestly Warforged Ranger is bad its the worst race you could build a Ranger on. Rangers scarifies some damage compared to fighters for there spell list that boils down to 4 spells Rams Might, Barkskin, Freedom of Movement, and Cure Serious Wounds. Through Devotion and Healing Amp (why Human and Half Elf are the best races for Rangers) a Ranger makes a low powered cure worth wiled if you're not doing this your better off on a fighter taking all the melee and ranged feat.
    Last edited by Grailhawk; 07-03-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    - Two Pld is a poor splash on a Ranger. Charisma is a dump stat.
    EEs have brought pally splashes for Divine Grace back in style; Batman isn't dead, he's just been reborn!

I agree that self-healing on a BF rgr is bad. That said, BF are getting Reconstruct as a racial SLA; once that happens, a BF Tempest may be worth revisiting, esp. if you find a way to squeeze in some Repair enhs. Though what I'm looking forward to is BF FvS w/Reconstruct.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    EEs have brought pally splashes for Divine Grace back in style; Batman isn't dead, he's just been reborn!
    Juggernaut Bladeforge is a fine build and much better then a Ranger for that race, and would probably play just like what the OP is looking for. On a Ranger twisting Lithe, Unearthly Reactions, and Brace for Impact nets you +14 to reflex save that's going to be much more useful/flexible then a 2 Paladin splash.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I agree that self-healing on a BF rgr is bad. That said, BF are getting Reconstruct as a racial SLA; once that happens, a BF Tempest may be worth revisiting, esp. if you find a way to squeeze in some Repair enhs. Though what I'm looking forward to is BF FvS w/Reconstruct.
    Fair point but if they get reconstruction some kind of Fighter/monk/pld splash taking both TWF and Archery feat will probably come out better then a Ranger. Oddly enough that's very similar to a Juggernaut.

Uh... How is twisting Lithe, Unearthly Reactions and Brace for Impact MORE flexible than /2 paladin?
    3 twists for 14 reflex, +2 to other saves. Total of 18 saves.
    Other option: Start with 12 charisma, +3 tome, +7 slot, there's +6 to all saves: That adds up to 18 saves. The same as those 3 twists. (Albeit spread out, versus focussed on reflex) AND you get to spent 3x twist slots on other stuff. Like... um. Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Uh... How is twisting Lithe, Unearthly Reactions and Brace for Impact MORE flexible than /2 paladin?
    3 twists for 14 reflex, +2 to other saves. Total of 18 saves.
    Other option: Start with 12 charisma, +3 tome, +7 slot, there's +6 to all saves: That adds up to 18 saves. The same as those 3 twists. (Albeit spread out, versus focussed on reflex) AND you get to spent 3x twist slots on other stuff. Like... um. Stuff!
    You can change your twists easily to what the quest calls for. If you splash 2 class levels you can not easily change them hence its more flexible.

Spells like FOM, DW, etc. make Reflex more valuable then other save.
    Last edited by Grailhawk; 07-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Its not worth it. Its a worse combination then a Bladeforged Paladin. .
    I kind of have to agree. I rolled up like 4 bladeforged toons just to try different stuff. On one I made a deep ranger splash for the free TWF and bow feats (level 6 tempest). It's really put the hurt on self healing. Granted I still have LOH, and I'm going to stick it out for now just because I'm stubborn like that, but it's not my best build for sure. I also rolled one with a fighter (2) splash, a pure pally, and plan on trying unbongwah's idea with a fighter and wizard splash (1 each). So far the pure pally and fighter splash look better than the deep ranger splash, although many shot + bow str are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    I kind of have to agree. I rolled up like 4 bladeforged toons just to try different stuff. On one I made a deep ranger splash for the free TWF and bow feats (level 6 tempest). It's really put the hurt on self healing. Granted I still have LOH, and I'm going to stick it out for now just because I'm stubborn like that, but it's not my best build for sure. I also rolled one with a fighter (2) splash, a pure pally, and plan on trying unbongwah's idea with a fighter and wizard splash (1 each). So far the pure pally and fighter splash look better than the deep ranger splash, although many shot + bow str are nice.
    Yes Rangers and Paladins don't mix well in general there strengths tend to play against each other. Both are good at self healing but by mixing the classes you water down the self-healing and gain very little in its place. I don't believe the game supports an archer Paladin at this time.

Community Member

Yes Rangers and Paladins don't mix well in general there strengths tend to play against each other. Both are good at self healing but by mixing the classes you water down the self-healing and gain very little in its place. I don't believe the game supports an archer Paladin at this time.
    While fighter or monk or rogue might be more popular splashes for feats, umd or evasion, 2 pally for 10 -12 saves might not be the worst splash ever if you don't need extra feat ( and you already have evasion, and csw is capped at caster level 15 ) and have saves in mid forties already.

Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    While fighter or monk or rogue might be more popular splashes for feats, umd or evasion, 2 pally for 10 -12 saves might not be the worst splash ever if you don't need extra feat ( and you already have evasion, and csw is capped at caster level 15 ) and have saves in mid forties already.
    LOLz . . . is true. All pally is good for is as a 2-splash.

Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    2 Paladin 15+ ranger is sub optimal but it will work.

I was referring to the 6 Ranger x Paladin build and that in general its not a good mix especially as you go deeper. 6 ranger is going to water down the paladin leaving leaving it with only one 4th level spell slot costing either Zeal or CSW. Neither of which the 6 Ranger levels really makes up for and unfortunately 6 Fighter wont get you enough feat for both melee and Archery lines and probably doesn't make up for Zeal either but has a better chance then Ranger does.