Community Member

Default First Cleric roll needs advice

I am getting ready to roll my first cleric. Been playing the same since September 2008 but this will be my first cleric. I've learned quite a bit on how to help the cleric when I am on the outside looking in but this will be my first time being the poor sap on the inside looking out.

So I must know are there any things I should consider when making the base character out the door?

My intentions are to make it a heal focused cleric but I would like to be able to support combat in ways other than spamming heals. What are my secondary options?

And the big question. What gear items should I be looking for at what levels?

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by kazekamio View Post
    My intentions are to make it a heal focused cleric but I would like to be able to support combat in ways other than spamming heals. What are my secondary options?
    If you want to focus on healing for your play-style, while you learn the class better, that's fine.

But I suggest you do not focus your build on healing. Healing is your secondary option, easy enough to get to adequate levels. Your PRIMARY will likely be either melee, or offensive casting. Pick one of those two and build mainly for it.

My only advice is to wait a few month before starting a new Cleric...

Clerics are going to be hit hard by the enhancement pass, and beside being healbots they are not going to be able to do much...
    So if you start playing a Cleric right now you'll have a some fun with all the things a Cleric can don and in a few month you're going to be
    tucked in a box with a red cross on it and you'll be disappointed by loosing a lot of capability.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    My only advice is to wait a few month before starting a new Cleric...

Clerics are going to be hit hard by the enhancement pass, and beside being healbots they are not going to be able to do much...
    So if you start playing a Cleric right now you'll have a some fun with all the things a Cleric can don and in a few month you're going to be
    tucked in a box with a red cross on it and you'll be disappointed by loosing a lot of capability.
    Well then it sounds like now is the time to do it then. I spent the night thinking it over and decided I do not wish to stay a cleric but instead want to run through it on my main on the path towards completionist. So with the way you put it seems to me I need to do that NOW while they are still playable.

Quote Originally Posted by kazekamio View Post
    Well then it sounds like now is the time to do it then. I spent the night thinking it over and decided I do not wish to stay a cleric but instead want to run through it on my main on the path towards completionist. So with the way you put it seems to me I need to do that NOW while they are still playable.
    Viewed that way then yes it is definitely the time to do it.

As for what to do : Radiant Servant II is the way to go, 13/14 in Con, 17+ in Wis, some Cha if you want to have fun with Turn ( 13/15 ) and/or some STR if you want to be able to hit the broadside of a Kobold hut.

No point in spending in Dex unless you want to go Clonk or dress/pajama wearing, the full plate will void any bonus you have in it.
    No point spending much in Int at the moment, that may change though.

Skills is Concentration... If you have more points Balance is useful.

The enhancements are up to you ( beside RSII and pre-requisites ).

Useful feats :
    Toughness, Quicken ( for Mass Heal mostly, I managed to survive without it for a long time ), Extend ( you can swap it out at high level for quicken ), empower healing.
    The rest up to what you feel.

It should make a decent cleric.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Viewed that way then yes it is definitely the time to do it.

As for what to do : Radiant Servant II is the way to go, 13/14 in Con, 17+ in Wis, some Cha if you want to have fun with Turn ( 13/15 ) and/or some STR if you want to be able to hit the broadside of a Kobold hut.

No point in spending in Dex unless you want to go Clonk or dress/pajama wearing, the full plate will void any bonus you have in it.
    No point spending much in Int at the moment, that may change though.

Skills is Concentration... If you have more points Balance is useful.

The enhancements are up to you ( beside RSII and pre-requisites ).

Useful feats :
    Toughness, Quicken ( for Mass Heal mostly, I managed to survive without it for a long time ), Extend ( you can swap it out at high level for quicken ), empower healing.
    The rest up to what you feel.

It should make a decent cleric.
    ^This

I would add maximize and spell focus: evo for damage. Mental toughness and improved mental toughness are necessary evils on a first cleric, I am afraid. It takes much practice to save sp. Avoid putting skill points into heal. Avoid taking any heal amp on enhancements. Do max out hp, sp, and wis at every opportunity. Avoid extra turn feat. (Clerics are rather feat starved.) After that, you can pretty much decide on your own. You will learn some invaluable lessons healing others.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

No matter which way you go - melee focus or casting focus

Here are some words of advice

1. SP healing is best saved for Combat - Use non-SP healing outside of combat; Wands, Scrolls, Bursts and Aura
    2. An ounce of prevention > a pound of cure - Buffs and Spells that disable are good at preventing the need to heal.
    3. Utilize your hotbar and the ability to set Meta's.

Examples:
    1. Have two versions of Heal, one meta'd and one not. Use the Meta one when appropriate
    2. Learn what you need to heal a party member - when running with High amp players you can utilize less metas or even use a lower SP spell for example. Don't lean on "One Spell to Heal them All"
    3. With Bursts and Mass Cure/Heal Learn to target "Groups", avoid using a mass on someone standing away from the action