Default Need Help on my 20 Dwarven Ranger Tempest Build.

I went and did it. Made a 20 pure Ranger Tempest III.

So, what ED paths should I follow, and what twists should I use to maximize by dual wielding output and minimize my gimpiness? Right now, I have Improved Critical: Piercing for the level draining daggers I'm using, but I will change that out at 25 to slashing for Duregar Waraxes instead.

Community Member

Fury or LD for DPS

LD for solo DPS

Fury for party DPS

Just maximize damage gear with SA, crit, and general on hit/vorpal damage

twist in cocoon, get empower heal feat

Or go Shadowdancer for DPS/tankiness/suvivalist

I thought the rule of thumb was: Fury is better for trash DPS while LD is better for boss DPS (presuming no Cleaves+LW+MS). Pure dwarf rgr gets 9 feats: 4 Tempest III pre-reqs, Toughness, Imp Crit, Power Atk, with two left for, say, Quik+Emp Heal for Rejuv Cocoon + CSW. Alternatively, you could take CL+GC for LW+MS if you plan on LD.
    The Once and Future unbongwah

Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    I went and did it. Made a 20 pure Ranger Tempest III.

So, what ED paths should I follow, and what twists should I use to maximize by dual wielding output and minimize my gimpiness? Right now, I have Improved Critical: Piercing for the level draining daggers I'm using, but I will change that out at 25 to slashing for Duregar Waraxes instead.
    Have fun with them all, and then decide. I've personally tried all the melee EDs on Rangers and they each offer something a little different.

Fury of the Wild - The best all round Destiny. Primal Scream, Tunnel Vision, Acute Instincts, Sense Weakness, Overwhelming Force, Fury Unleashed and Unbridled Fury makes for a good setup. Unbridled Fury + Manyshot is great fun!

ShadowDancer - I personally like this, although I use this on my Whirling Dervish who is Half-Elf and thus has 9D6 Sneak Attack. If you have a lot fo Dex, Executioner's Strike is pretty cool now. Extra Dex, Lithe, Shrouding Strike, Grim Precision, Improved Invisibility, Untouchable, Executioners Strike, Sealed Soul and Shadow From is a good setup.

Legendary Dreadnought - More useful if you have Cleave/Great Cleave, but still getting access to Haste Boost, extra Seeker damage, Advancing Blows and Master's Blitz is all pretty cool. If you can squeeze in Stunning Blow and a High strength, you can get Legendary Tactics as well although its a easy Twist for another destiny.

Primal Avatar - Don't dismiss this choice, I've tried it and its gives a nice set of bonuses overall. Stormrage in particular is a great deal of fun, but Balanced attacks and the additional Crit Multiplier as well as Tree-form are very useful.
    ~~ The Theorybuild Author ~~
    ~~ Links: ~ The Stormbringer v2 ~ The Whirling Dervish ~ The Angel of Death ~~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ~Furiyen View Post
    Have fun with them all, and then decide. I've personally tried all the melee EDs on Rangers and they each offer something a little different.

Fury of the Wild - The best all round Destiny. Primal Scream, Tunnel Vision, Acute Instincts, Sense Weakness, Overwhelming Force, Fury Unleashed and Unbridled Fury makes for a good setup. Unbridled Fury + Manyshot is great fun!

ShadowDancer - I personally like this, although I use this on my Whirling Dervish who is Half-Elf and thus has 9D6 Sneak Attack. If you have a lot fo Dex, Executioner's Strike is pretty cool now. Extra Dex, Lithe, Shrouding Strike, Grim Precision, Improved Invisibility, Untouchable, Executioners Strike, Sealed Soul and Shadow From is a good setup.

Legendary Dreadnought - More useful if you have Cleave/Great Cleave, but still getting access to Haste Boost, extra Seeker damage, Advancing Blows and Master's Blitz is all pretty cool. If you can squeeze in Stunning Blow and a High strength, you can get Legendary Tactics as well although its a easy Twist for another destiny.

Primal Avatar - Don't dismiss this choice, I've tried it and its gives a nice set of bonuses overall. Stormrage in particular is a great deal of fun, but Balanced attacks and the additional Crit Multiplier as well as Tree-form are very useful.
    Strangely, Fatesinger is also a very nice melee destiny. Since it isn't over loaded with great abilities there is room to take a few points in str. My toon has 12 rng (tempest) / 8 fighter and the extra str boosted not only my damage but also my stun DC by about 4 pts. Reign does very nice damage, and there are many song boosts that also boost damage, plus it has a decent epic moment vs trash. Overall it probably boosted my DPS about 10/swing (not counting crits) just from inspire courage and str buffs, and another 12/swing or so from reign, plus nice boosts to stun DC. It's not as good as FotW, but still pretty nice.

I wouldn't bother with dwarf axes. Even with your racial bonuses they fall well short of khopesh or balizarde(s) once you get them (or deathnip for that matter). For that matter, if you build for LD and blunt, they fall well short of braizingstar, phosphor, and coronation. D-axes are great for sword and board, but fall short for TWF.
    Last edited by Inoukchuk; 05-15-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    Strangely, Fatesinger is also a very nice melee destiny. Since it isn't over loaded with great abilities there is room to take a few points in str. My toon has 12 rng (tempest) / 8 fighter and the extra str boosted not only my damage but also my stun DC by about 4 pts. Reign does very nice damage, and there are many song boosts that also boost damage, plus it has a decent epic moment vs trash. Overall it probably boosted my DPS about 10/swing (not counting crits) just from inspire courage and str buffs, and another 12/swing or so from reign, plus nice boosts to stun DC. It's not as good as FotW, but still pretty nice.

I wouldn't bother with dwarf axes. Even with your racial bonuses they fall well short of khopesh or balizarde(s) once you get them (or deathnip for that matter). For that matter, if you build for LD and blunt, they fall well short of braizingstar, phosphor, and coronation. D-axes are great for sword and board, but fall short for TWF.
    I was thinking of Dwarven Axes until I got a couple EE Axes of Adaxus (which have 3[1d10] damage with 20/x4 crit) and 2 Duregar Axes of the Weapon Master (3[1d10] 19-20/x3.) In Primal Avatar, changing my Improved Critical to slashing, I could get some serious crit power that would happen often on the Duregar axes, and would hit for x5 multiplier on the Adaxus Axes, and the way I have it now, I qualify for Overwhelming Critical at level 27 when the cap is increased to 28, and could get those axes up to x6 on rolls of 19-20, and x7 if I abandoned Primal Avatar and went Legendary Dreadnaught.

Am I on a good path? Is there more I could do to get even more out of my build?