Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skill Tomes

Default Skill Tomes

Got this on a Platinum Roll (Gold daily dice roll of 100)

Got another one, upgrade +2 to +3 on perform on another roll, but not platinum, a 97 (no capture sorry).

And new breakdown on skills or i didnt saw it on live:

Yeah I just got a +2 tome of spot off of a gold jackpot on a gold roll.
    Interesting addition I have to say. I wonder if these will be made a drop like the other
    stat tomes and / or point store items?

Community Member ~swimmingjellycube's Avatar

Hopefully they'll drop like tomes.

Their ML is different than a typical tome.

Do you know what the ML was on that +2 tome?

Community Member

*Sigh*

I wonder how long before we can buy Feats on the DDO Store?

Community Member

This is the next big money grab, along with cosmetic armor/goggles/and helms. Next will be feat tomes, opening up epic seals and shards to be traded on the astral shard auction house, cosmetic shields and pet gear, and a half baked expansion pack.

Community Member

A few questions that I think the Devs need to answer:

1) If a character eats a Skill Tome then TRs, will the skills stay like current Stat Tomes or will they disappear like the old Stat Tomes?

2) Since it states that the bonus to skills doesn't stack with other tomes with an inherent bonus, does that mean that a character that ate a +4 Con Tome and a +3 Concentration Skill Tome will get a +5 Concentration bonus or only a +3 Concentration bonus?

Community Member ~TheFailedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonHoard View Post
    This is the next big money grab, along with cosmetic armor/goggles/and helms. Next will be feat tomes, opening up epic seals and shards to be traded on the astral shard auction house, cosmetic shields and pet gear, and a half baked expansion pack.
    while i agree feat/loot tomes would be ridiculous and so are skill tomes I fail to see why cosmetic stuff is a bad thinmg...it gives no mechanical advantage of any sort its the perfect DDO Store Item

Quote Originally Posted by Hexfax View Post
    A few questions that I think the Devs need to answer:

1) If a character eats a Skill Tome then TRs, will the skills stay like current Stat Tomes or will they disappear like the old Stat Tomes?

2) Since it states that the bonus to skills doesn't stack with other tomes with an inherent bonus, does that mean that a character that ate a +4 Con Tome and a +3 Concentration Skill Tome will get a +5 Concentration bonus or only a +3 Concentration bonus?
    You would have a +5 because the +4 CON tome adds to the stat and has nothing to do with the direct skill bonus. What that phrase means is a +2 concentration tome won't stack with a +1 concentration tome, the +2 will override it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    You would have a +5 because the +4 CON tome adds to the stat and has nothing to do with the direct skill bonus. What that phrase means is a +2 concentration tome won't stack with a +1 concentration tome, the +2 will override it.
    That would be my guess also, but it wouldn't hurt to have a Dev to clarify it.

Four things:

1) If they drop in chests, nice addition.

2) IF they drop in chests, they should be unbound or it will be a PITA to store them all.

3) I surely hope you put UMD there.

4) If they are a store only item, and again I'm against this option, you better don't go overboard with the prices. We have 20 skills. When Spellcraft will be added, 21. This + the revamp to Heal/Repair/Perform will make us want at least 6~10 tomes out of 21 skills on most chars (trappers even more).

Let's say I'm a sorc, I want:

Concentration, Balance, Heal, Spellcraft, Repair, UMD.

Now, let's say I'm a rogue:

Concentration, Balance, Bluff, DD, Hide, Listen, MS, OL, Search, Spot, UMD.

11 skills. Too many if the prices of the tomes are over 200 TP each. (that would still be a ~2k TP points spent if I decide to buy them all from the store, pretty big)
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

Quote Originally Posted by DragonHoard View Post
    Cosmetic armor/goggles/helms/shields/pet gear, how is this a bad thing, 100% optional (tbh every item in the DDO store is 100% optional in the sense that you don't need the items to complete content aside from adventure packs).

I wouldn't mind a cosmetic shield, if green steel was still relevant at higher levels I'd be asking for cosmetic weapon skins/models.

Kinda sounds like anything Turbine does that might turn them a profit will be a 'money grab' if one is to view things from your perspective.

Let's not forget that we so far don't know what the intended methods of acquisition are for these tomes... if they drop similarly to ability tomes there shouldn't be any problems, unless people are looking for something new to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    Let's say I'm a sorc, I want:

Concentration, Balance, Heal, Spellcraft, Repair, UMD.
    Key word being want... lets not forget we managed to do everything in the game before Skill Tomes ... so regardless of what acquisition method is used, you won't NEED to buy them, unless you really really want to (which is on you imo).

That said I am in the camp that will be disappointed if they do not drop from chests as Ability Tomes do. In the event that they are store only I'll simply do without them as I expect most will. (Similarly to how I've done without most all of the DDOStore items.)

The power creep on a few specific skills is rather evil, but I suppose we can live with it.

In my opinion, these should drop similarly to stat tomes, but less rare - since we only have 6 stats, but ~20 abilities, dropping at 3x the rate would be perfectly reasonable.

It would be very nice to find out the initial drop ranges for each level of tome, much like we have with stat tomes, and what the highest available skill tome will be to start with. If a +3 is min lvl 9, I will guess that +1 is min lvl 3 and +2 is min lvl 6. If that pattern is right, we could see +8 at min lvl 24 and +9 at min lvl 27 with the expansion - those are some REALLY big boosts; Intimidate, UMD (or will UMD be the oddball again?), all the spellpower skills when/if that change rolls out, all would see a power creep; even open lock and disable device would, but I think you can already no-fail every lock and trap in the game if you really want to so that may not really matter. But +6 tomes don't exist yet, and +5s didn't exist until recently, and it wasn't THAT long ago that there were no +4s either, so I kind of suspect they'll roll these out slowly as well. So what's the initial highest available skill tome?

Community Member ~Ferrir_Mule_S's Avatar

Nice!

If a +3 is level nine we might get skill tomes all the way up to +10 (at level 30).

Everything that is on the roll price list also drops from chests, so alto still speculation these skill tomes probably do drop from chests.

Btw I would buy a supreme skill tome that would add +10 to each skill at level 30 for a reasonable price.
    Mordak lives here!

Community Member

They should drop like tomes. +1 skill is pretty valuable later on, so I am sure they will be in the same vein as stat tomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    3) I surely hope you put UMD there.
    I can verify that UMD is one of the skills - got a UMD upgrade tome on a dice roll the other night.
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by dejafu View Post
    I can verify that UMD is one of the skills - got a UMD upgrade tome on a dice roll the other night.
    Thanks.

We gotta see if they drop in chests then. +3 UMD is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

+3 free umd? You gotta be kidding me

Anybody and their mother can pretty much get no fail heal scroll use with minimal investment.

I used to half justify my completionist feat based on that umd use toward no fail heal scrolls on a pure class investing into a cross skill.

Turbine better make those uber heal scrolls currently in the ddo store available in game with a 44 UMD check or something.

Amazing thought process here: "Hey, lets make everyone use this new skill called spellcraft and use heal to impact your spellpower too - and NOW lets sell tomes that boost those skills for ddo store points!".

mmm not sure what I think of this.

At first I thought hey a great way to boost the skills on my rogue splash multi-class characters. I guess it depends on how high these skill tomes end up going. I mean a +3 or 4 will help a character that is only 75% on a scroll or improve the odds for a disable device or open locks attempt.

The character for these skills will still have to have a decent investment in the skill or the skill tomes won't really do anything for them right?
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo
    Proud member of the HighLords of Malkier

Ah sorry about that got distracted with work and classes. The +2 skill tome
    I pulled was ML5 BtA and yes it is separate from the inherent bonus on an
    ability score. Thus my +4 supreme and my +2 skill tome stacked. I will see if
    they last through TR later today.

Community Member ~swimmingjellycube's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amarath View Post
    The +2 skill tome I pulled was ML5 BtA
    Thanks for posting that

so

+2 | ML 5
    +3 | ML 9

If we assume an arithmetic progression, that would put

+1 | ML 1
    +4 | ML 13

As long as they drop with at least the same rate as ability tomes, I'll be happy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast