Thread: Solo Master

Default Solo Master

I took a break from DDO after update 7 and I returned shortly before Menace of the Underdark was released. When I returned I found the tempest build I had been using wasn't working well. I have been searching the forums for a like minded, but modernized build to TR into in hopes of resolving the problems I now face.

My current build is a once TRed Elf 18rgr/2rog/3epic 34pt build with 38dex/26str. I have 2x Drow Longswords of the Weapon Master, manslayer goggles, an epic nightmare cloak from the Mabar festivult and a Minos Legend. I also have one green steel LIT longsword a tier 2 green steel MIN helm and Icy Raiments. The remainder of my equipment is just random stat or clicky buff based.

I used to be VIP, but I am now f2p.
    I have all of the adventure packs except the High Road of Shadows.
    I have +3 tomes for all stats.
    I do not have the Half-Elf or Warforged races.
    I do not have the Articifer, Favored Soul or Monk classes.
    I have not played the Articifer, Barbarian, Druid, Favored Soul, Monk, Paladin or Wizard.
    My equipment is a mess and does little or nothing to aid my abilities.

Right now my DPS is mediocre at best. My best crits are 150 to 200 maximum without using adrenaline. I can solo a few of the red named bosses in the underdark if I am careful. I can disable some of the epic hard VON traps and some of the spell wards in the Eveningstar Forest quests. My ability to self heal is really horrible too.

I feel I should have been able to solo quests four to five levels above my own level after TRing. Unfortunately, I was lucky if I could survive quests that were two levels lower than my toon.

I would like to TR into a 36pt build with the best possible DPS, the ability to disable traps and to be as self sufficient as possible. However, with all of the changes that occurred while I took my break I am lost.

I am willing to purchase some upgrades or change races/classes if absolutely necessary. I am also willing to grind for new equipment. The fewer buttons I need to use during melee the happier I will be too.

Please help me figure out how to create the Uber Solo Master I desire so I can get back on the right track.

lets see...

first off for an "uber solo master" you would want to have a quickened heal/reconstruct, as incoming damage scaled up a substantial amount in the past updates.
    this straight off the bat leaves us with druid/fvs/cleric/wiz/sorc & arti.
    not having arti, fvs or warforged rules out a few, leaving us with the druid and cleric options, and maybe a palemaster wiz.

druids get regenerate at level 13, and for a cleric you would want at least 12 levels for the healing aura. and should you go with the palemaster route, that would be at least 12 levels of wizard for wraith form.
    this gives us 7-8 levels to play around with.

you wanted trapping ability, and not having arti means at least 1 level of rogue. as a 2nd level gets you evasion that puts us at a minimum of 2 levels rogue. leaving us with 5-6 levels undetermined.

for my money, of those options the easiest to make decent without working too hard at it is the druid. get a staff of shadow from the lordsmarch chain, and in wolf form you'll be able to neg level 20% of the time. very very useful in epic quests, and can be had with minimal grinding.
    add sleet storm + fom and you got yourself very nice survivability as well, to go along with your self heals.

hope this helps with forming a direction, once you have one we can flesh out a build

Community Member

You should have a free LR still hanging MoTU. Talk to Kruz to check. You can use it to swap to a max STR build, it will raise your DPS and make the xp grind less painful. You will do a lot of easy quests that you want to get out of very quickly, str builds are way better for grinding through those.

Get to level 25 and level up all your destinies to level 5. This is annoying, but leveling an off destiny to level 5 adds more power to your character than most past life feats would and takes only a few hours.

Once you have all destinies and try the abilities out, figure out the destinies and twists that you will use. If you still want to TR at that point, you will know what feats, enhancements and abilities are required to make the most out of your destinies. The worst thing that can happen is TRing and then figuring that your build doesn't work well with any destiny.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Default Grateful

Thank you for your responces.

Lauf: Your insite seems well informed. I am considering trying to build one or more of the toons you described to familiarize myself with the Cleric, Druid, or Wizard classes. I may even have to run the House Cannith quests and challanges to open the Articifer class so I can experiment with that as well. Do you know of any good builds to get me started down the paths you suggested?

Kmnh: I will talk to Kruze to see if I have an LR available to me. If I do then should I ignore DEX altogether? What stat mix would you recommend?

Here's a build I've used and enjoyed, it's fairly easy to play and forgiving, allowing you to play around with both melee and casting. most importantly, it becomes a lot stronger as it levels, so don't worry about not being very effective early on. (I'm guessing the base build could use some touch ups, but hopefully this'll give you something to build off of)

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Lawful Neutral Human Male
    (2 Rogue \ 18 Druid) 
    Hit Points: 328
    Spell Points: 1333 
    BAB: 14\14\19\24
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 13
    Will: 20

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (36 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             16                    20
    Dexterity            14                    18
    Constitution         16                    20
    Intelligence          8                    12
    Wisdom               16                    28
    Charisma              8                    12

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
    +4 Tome of Strength used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Constitution used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 15
    +4 Tome of Charisma used at level 15

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               2                     4
    Bluff                -1                     1
    Concentration         3                     5
    Diplomacy            -1                     1
    Disable Device       n/a                    n/a
    Haggle               -1                     1
    Heal                  3                     9
    Hide                  2                     4
    Intimidate           -1                     1
    Jump                  3                     5
    Listen                3                     9
    Move Silently         2                     4
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform              n/a                    n/a
    Repair               -1                     1
    Search               -1                     1
    Spot                  3                     9
    Swim                  3                     5
    Tumble                n/a                   n/a
    Use Magic Device     n/a                    n/a

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Fighter
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness

Level 2 (Druid)

Level 3 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 4 (Druid)
    Ability Raise: WIS

Level 5 (Druid)

Level 6 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 7 (Druid)

Level 8 (Druid)

Level 9 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 10 (Druid)

Level 11 (Druid)

Level 12 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 13 (Druid)

Level 14 (Druid)

Level 15 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Natural Fighting

Level 16 (Druid)

Level 17 (Druid)

Level 18 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Spell

Level 19 (Druid)

Level 20 (Druid)
    Enhancement: Druid Aggravate I
    Enhancement: Druid Aggravate II
    Enhancement: Druid Beastial Nature I
    Enhancement: Druid Beastial Nature II
    Enhancement: Druid Blood Moon Frenzy I
    Enhancement: Druid Essence of the Shrike I
    Enhancement: Druid Essence of the Shrike II
    Enhancement: Druid Nature's Warrior I
    Enhancement: Druid Nature's Warrior II
    Enhancement: Druid Reaving Roar
    Enhancement: Druid Vengeful Hunter I
    Enhancement: Druid Vengeful Hunter II
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
    Enhancement: Druid Waxing Life I
    Enhancement: Druid Waxing Life II
    Enhancement: Druid Waxing Life III
    Enhancement: Druid Zenith of Life I
    Enhancement: Druid Zenith of Life II
    Enhancement: Druid Zenith of Life III
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost I
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost II
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost III
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost IV
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life I
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life II
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life III
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life IV
    Enhancement: Druid Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Druid Wisdom II
    Enhancement: Druid Toughness I
    Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense I

the only thing about this build is the reflex saves aren't as high as the wizard counterpart, so getting a parasitic plate for +10 reflex saves is advisable.

much harder to roll a trapping cleric, as you'll be spread very thin on stats, and your dps won't be as good as a wiz or druid. so while it IS a viable option (rolled it on a couple of lives), it may not be the best one for you to start off on.

as for a trapping wizard, the best dps would be going straight up 18 wizard / 2 rogue. you might have more fun rolling a melee wiz, with splits like a 12 wiz / 6 fighter / 2 rogue, but that would be more of a flavor build. the more wiz levels, the more sp and better spells / spell DC, and as a result you'll do more damage and have better survivability.
    I don't have such a build at hand at the moment, but I'm sure one could be easily found on the forums.
    best of luck

That build looks like a good place to start learning the druid class. I cannot use the +4 tomes as I have never even see one in game, but +3 tomes can be easily bought if necessary.

Do you have any tips or suggestions on how to play it properly?

I won't claim to be the best druid player around, so this may be far from the best way to play a druid. however I did find this to be a very effective way (quest wise) of playing one.

Max your healing enhancements, get a devotion item, and try to avoid aggro.
    early on you can do traps and do some healing, so you should be a welcome addition to any group. try to work from there as far as melee goes, but your primary focus in combat should be not getting yourself in trouble ;D

later on I really enjoyed creeping cold and greater creeping cold, and the frozen tunic from the challenges works nicely, adding the occasional freezing effect to your attacks
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Frozen_Tunic

and as mentioned previously, staff of shadow, parasitic breastplate with +10 reflex on it, rad2 gs weapon if you can craft one, are all very nice to haves for this build. same goes for torc/con-opp items, as the build was planned to be in melee range quite often.

I was using greater creeping cold / cold breath as my main dps spells, but against masses of (powerful) mobs I went with the earthquake (awesome CC spell, be sure to have the damage meta-magics off) + storm of vengeance + ice storm combo.
    winter wolf as my main form, switching out of it in big fights if/when massive rapid casting of healing spells was required, and basically playing nanny until things cooled down.

tough high level quests while in groups, used staff of shadow. otherwise used a rad2, but any dps weapon would do here.

I found the pet wolf to be more hassle than it's worth, at later levels. you can find different opinions on the forums, so try and see for yourself. early on it was somewhat useful.

and as a side note, the snowslide spell isn't very effective offensively, but makes for a great moving around spell. working like the fvs wings and also adding to your movement speed afterwards. if you ever need to make a jump, or get from one place to another quickly, that's the way to go.

that's pretty much it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RunsFree View Post
    ... to familiarize myself with the Cleric, Druid, or Wizard classes. I may even have to run the House Cannith quests and challanges to open the Articifer class so I can experiment with that as well. ...
    Have next to no experience with Druids. But did many Clerics, Wizards (some failed some succesful) and Im leveling an Artificer.

Wizard:
    - did Warforged Wizard17/Rogue2/Fighter1, Wizard18/Rogue2, Wizard12/Monk6 (banked XP and TR'd when I had enough XP for 20), Wizard18/Monk2.

What worked best:
    - Warforged for near immortality with Quicken Reconstruct.
    - Max INT, solid CON, some STR (loot is heavy, some annoying debuffs)
    - Insightful Reflexes for high Reflex saves. As WF you get better Fort saves (better CON), Wizard get strong Will saves. You end up with good overall saves
    - caster-ish version. Nuke/damage speced. So Archmage Evocation speced.
    - use DC based spells if they work, but don't 'specialize' in this. Damage better, more profitable. Big Bad Boss is immune vs DC based stuff anyway. And no reward if you can't kill Big Bad Boss.
    - if someone asks about that Crowd Control stuff ... cast if it works. But it will work in easy content. And in easy content it's also easy to nuke. I did that CC stuff, and its not 'profitable'. It takes a lot of feats to work (spell focus, spell pen) and at the end Boss is immune by definition. Damage always works.
    - use melee (some big 2-hander) at start, but don't put alot in melee.
    - /Monk2 is a touch better caster (2 extra feats help). /Rogue2 can do traps.
    - theres pretty much nothing you can't solo. Shiradi Arcane is current FoTM for a reason.

Warforged Arcane works as good now as it has in the past. Maybe focus changes from DC based to damage (and back) over time, but overall build doesn't. But DC based sometimes works, while damage always works.

Cleric:
    - WF arcane is more my style, but Cleric is also good.
    - best results i had (have) with Clonk style. So ClericX/Monk2 or Monk3. TWF with wraps and Stunning Fist, plus healing and some nuke (Blade Barrier and Divine Punishment).

Artificer:
    - very good class. Well worth the money or effort to get it.
    - you get Repair and Reconstruct spell. So Warforged.
    - mine is warrior, not caster. Big two handed weapon and repeater. I don't bother with damage spells or runearm. I use spells for buffs and repair.
    - solo pwn machine. Less AoE damage, but also less dependant on blue bar (spell points)

Quote Originally Posted by RunsFree View Post
    Kmnh: I will talk to Kruze to see if I have an LR available to me. If I do then should I ignore DEX altogether? What stat mix would you recommend?
    Rangers get Bow Strength feat at creation. It's a 'hint'

You also want Hit Points (so CON). Bad things happen when HP bar drops to 0.

Call me silly, but I never even considered that. It makes me wonder why I was ever Dex based in the first place.
    Last edited by RunsFree; 04-10-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Quote failed.

Community Member

Don't TR. LRing to more Strength is an option.

My suggestion:
    Level up your destinies. Twist Rejuvenation Cocoon from Primal Avatar. Slot some devotion. Get PDK gloves. Look at Oathblade. Bank Icy Raiments and buy Epic Normal Whisperchain (probably comes from the pack you don't own).

This will give you a major healing boost and superior defenses (blurry, ghostly, SFL, superior parrying).

Your DPS will increase as you level up your destinies.

Default Now we're talking!

I used my free LR and switched to STR based, maxed UMD and chose the ranger devotion enh line.

My AC is obviously lower (9 points), but I seem to be doing better damage most of the time. My self-heals are close to double what they were prior to the LR. I have the FoTW epic destiny maxed and will start working on LD this weekend.

I ran six EN quests last night and playing with my tempest is much more fun now. I get to do some damage and I don't have to run for dear life too often.

Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

Any thoughts as to which epic destiny I should choose after LD is maxed?
    Last edited by RunsFree; 04-12-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: bad spelling