Default Metagame of DDO as of....

I have been gone from the game since a little after MOTU dropped, I just recently logged on to play the tr and sensed a noticeable change of the game. From back in the day when you could just have a wiz hold and necro everything and have barbs swing away. To more of a mind set that a class that is only good for one thing is not acceptable. Barbs that are just extreme dps and can't do anything else are more or less useless on EE. If my assumption of this is correct what is the new thinking or "metagame" for DDO at this time and to plan for the future.

My current build is 18barb 1druid 1 rog
    I can heal scroll and SF pot but my only defensive type move is stunning blow. I have no respectable ranged dps which I can see to be helpful, since ranged dps in the past was not as needed. My concern is, it worth the extra percentage dps that barb offers but to heal scroll i would have to de-rage and scroll is there melee builds that have come up during my absent that doesn't relay on rage type abilities for dps sort of like the 12ftr/6rng/2rog (is this a viable build for EE)?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Piknix View Post
    I have been gone from the game since a little after MOTU dropped, I just recently logged on to play the tr and sensed a noticeable change of the game. From back in the day when you could just have a wiz hold and necro everything and have barbs swing away. To more of a mind set that a class that is only good for one thing is not acceptable. Barbs that are just extreme dps and can't do anything else are more or less useless on EE. If my assumption of this is correct what is the new thinking or "metagame" for DDO at this time and to plan for the future.

I can heal scroll and SF pot but my only defensive type move is stunning blow. I have no respectable ranged dps which I can see to be helpful, since ranged dps in the past was not as needed. My concern is, it worth the extra percentage dps that barb offers but to heal scroll i would have to de-rage and scroll is there melee builds that have come up during my absent that doesn't relay on rage type abilities for dps sort of like the 12ftr/6rng/2rog (is this a viable build for EE)?
    A certain amount of self sufficiency is expected (As it always has been imo) but that shouldn't be any huge shock to you. Raged out barbs are still the kings of all out melee dps and I doubt anyone is going to turn away an intelligent, properly geared one.

With Wail being nerfed and now bugged there has been more of a shift towards CC and high damage caster dps (Sorc style) as opposed to necro.

If youre looking for something that combines good THF with high ranged burst check out the Juggernaut. It's FOTM right now and is outstanding in EE content.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Piknix View Post

12ftr/6rng/2rog is still viable, yes. If you have ESOS, though, I'd go a THF building. If you do TWF 12/6/2 is a versatile and functional build. Not the best DPS, but self healing with scrolls (with ease), evasion (ALWAYS good), ranged DPS (Excellent optional) and in the right destiny, can have great DPS melee. It also gets plenty of feats to work with.

Eternally Mediocre Girl Maelodic's Avatar

With the right destiny, just about (and I dare say any) class can melee effectively, because at a high enough level, every class is going to have either a full BaB spell, or full BaB, so keep that in mind when building yourself. 1-20 you're looking to fit in perks and feats and all sorts of goodies that you'd like to have.

Melee classes will still dominate straight DPS, but at the moment, it seems as though I could roll a 18/2 Unarmed Sorc and still be able to pull off some nice numbers.
    ~Sarlona~
    Maelodic - Soundblaster| | Kinsys - Cookie Cutter Monk

thank you for the advice it has been very helpful.