Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Default Friend playing an Artificer, what's a good class/build to duo with?

Hey so yeah pretty much the title...although we have a minor case of altitis so here's what im playing in ouy current duos

Wiz12/Fighter6/Rogue2 Tank/DPS (our main pair running epic content the remaining duos are spread throughout 9-18ish)

Wolf Druid18/Monk2 DPS (was originally a Bearbarian build but apprentl I can't roar when raged and bear kinda sucks so switched to wolf)

Sorc 20 Air Savant DPS (I make things go boom thats about it)

Rogue13/Monk6/Druid1 AcroMonk (it moves fast, has lots of tactical stuff and is really hard to kill...duoed w/ a pally tank)

Arty20 DPS/Buffer (OMG I love my Arty..admittedly both the dog and the repeater are a still bit underpowered and i constantly forget to use my runearm but it;s just so much fun i don't care :P)

So basically I want to play something different than the above that will compliment my friends Arty...definitely thinking a WF of some sort so she can heal...the emerald Monk/Fighter/Paladin seems interesting but I'm very open to suggestion.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 03-22-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

If your friends Arty is ranged, then you should also have something that is by definition ranged or atleast can from time to time do some pew pew. Pew pew can be spells, magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriogen View Post
    If your friends Arty is ranged, then you should also have something that is by definition ranged or atleast can from time to time do some pew pew. Pew pew can be spells, magic.
    I was more thinking that if I had something that could take some hits but focus on DPS (ie. Emerald or a Barbarian) she could use her X-Bow from a safe range. if were both range we'd both be really squishy and have issue surviving some quests. No?
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Doesn't really matter, arti is a one man army. Though I would suggest not makeing a melee, since it gets real annoying running with a ranged toon.

You both see a mob, you run up and hit trip, the mob just runs straight past you because he has 3 bolts sticking out of his neck and isn't too worried about you, so you go running up after him and just as you are about to land the killing blow, he falls down dead. Repeat 100 times per quest, it gets old fast.

I dunno, I ran through the Cannith Manufactury area with someone playing an arty and myself playing a monk and we complemented one another quite well. I was fast enough to actually reach a lot of mobs before he put them down, and in doing so reduced his workload.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    Doesn't really matter, arti is a one man army. Though I would suggest not makeing a melee, since it gets real annoying running with a ranged toon.

You both see a mob, you run up and hit trip, the mob just runs straight past you because he has 3 bolts sticking out of his neck and isn't too worried about you, so you go running up after him and just as you are about to land the killing blow, he falls down dead. Repeat 100 times per quest, it gets old fast.
    Hmmm...well than what do you suggest...2 Arties are pointless, A Rogue Mechanic is just a crappy Artificer and Bows shoot way too slow...I already have a Wizard and a Sorceror so thats out...hence my dilemma?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    I dunno, I ran through the Cannith Manufactury area with someone playing an arty and myself playing a monk and we complemented one another quite well. I was fast enough to actually reach a lot of mobs before he put them down, and in doing so reduced his workload.
    This is why I was thinking a Monk...here's the plan so far

Code:
    Lawful Good Human Monk12/Fighter6/Paladin2 - The Modified Emerald

Stats

Str 12
    Dex 15
    Con 14
    Int 12
    Wis 16 (Level-ups go here)
    Cha 8

Monk 1, Fighter 2, Paladin 3-4, Monk 5-9, Fighter 10 - 14, Monk 15 - 20

Feats

1 TWF
    1H Toughness
    1M Dodge
    2F Weapon Finesse
    3 Mobility
    5M Stunning Fist
    6 Spring Attack
    6M Dark Path
    9 ITWF
    9M Combat Expertise
    10F IC: Blugeoning
    12 Toughness 
    12F Improved Trip or Whirlwind (only if it's fixed)
    14F GTWF
    15 Toughness or Improved Trip (if WW was taken)
    18 Toughness
    ED Grandmaster of Flowers
    21 Vorpal Strikes or Improved Martial Arts
    24 Improved Martial Arts or Vorpal Strikes

Skills: Intimidate, Concen, UMD, Balance
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 03-22-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

How well I know the altitis monkey on one's back! Random ideas:

• WF wiz 20, Con / Evo focus: spammable Webs & Chain Missiles, Shiradi spec if you make it that far.
    • Drunkcher: druid 13 / monk 6 / wiz 1 - ranged DPS (both archery & spells), buffs, some self-healing; use winter wolf form w/Stunning Fist + Takedown for some cheap CC, Shrike for temp SPs
    • Typical pally tank (pal 18 / monk or ftr 2): hate magnet, melee DPS, self-heals; either human or WF
    • If you guys farm Challenges for gear, Ellis's light monk
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    How well I know the altitis monkey on one's back! Random ideas:

WF wiz 20, Con / Evo focus: spammable Webs & Chain Missiles, Shiradi spec if you make it that far.
    That one's tempting but I want to avoid another Wizard as on my Solo server (Thelanis) my main is exactly this as for Sorc well I already have one...and as glorious as making things go boom is...well I don't want two of em. Also until WF learn how to wear robes (cosmetically i mean not actual robes) I can't stand playing WF Casters

Drunkcher: druid 13 / monk 6 / wiz 1 - ranged DPS (both archery & spells), buffs, some self-healing; use winter wolf form w/Stunning Fist + Takedown for some cheap CC, Shrike for temp SPs
    I did have a Monkcher at one point but outside of manyshot it just felt SOOOO slow as repeaters have spoiled me this one got switched to the Sorc...too bad Druid + Monk Unarmed damage doesn't stack (it really should) otherwise that would be a cool build

Typical pally tank (pal 18 / monk or ftr 2): hate magnet, melee DPS, self-heals; either human or WF
    I've tried so many different builds involving Paladin as a Primary...I WANT to love it but it's sooo boring compared to my other builds...ended up replacing it with my wiztank which is so much more fun...mind you Paladin does make for a GREAT 2 splash especially on Evasion builds but I hope the class gets a good boost from the enhancement path as well as ranger..oh and make fighters less...I gets lots of feats...nope thats it..just feats...maybe make some special fighter only feats...I dunno

If you guys farm Challenges for gear, Ellis's light monk
    Monk is definitely what I think I'm going with not sure if Single-Class or Emerald..their Tough, somewhat self-reliant, fast...very fast and have alot of fun stuff for me to click also unlike my poor WizTank they actually have an ED designed for them. An alternative is a Barbarian but I think I'd enjoy Monk better. My main worry about Monk is last time I played one it felt like they had an attack range of like 2 feet...heard something about this being a bug though...any idea if this has been fixed?

I'm really hoping we get a new class soon.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 03-22-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Did you consider something like A WF 12/6/2 Barbarian/Ranger/Rogue? TWF w/Bow option

Barbarian for the Meat and potatoes
    Ranger for the TWF feats (2) and Bow feats (4) - Above the 7 Heroic Feats
    Rogue for the Evasion - consider not taking DD/OL skill but instead concentrate on SPOT so you can be point and not lumber through a trap and if you do be able to save and call out "Hey Trap here"

This will also allow you to pull out a Bow and get some Barbarian Rage benefits from Bow Strength as well as a Manyshot volley.

For raw run speed, my 20th level pure monk with 30% striders can actually outrun most other characters with similar striders and a Haste spell. It's just ludicrous how fast I am and it's only going to get worse as I advance into my Grandmaster of Flowers Epic Destiny and pick up the +30% passive move bonus from Air Spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Did you consider something like A WF 12/6/2 Barbarian/Ranger/Rogue? TWF w/Bow option

Barbarian for the Meat and potatoes
    Ranger for the TWF feats (2) and Bow feats (4) - Above the 7 Heroic Feats
    Rogue for the Evasion - consider not taking DD/OL skill but instead concentrate on SPOT so you can be point and not lumber through a trap and if you do be able to save and call out "Hey Trap here"

This will also allow you to pull out a Bow and get some Barbarian Rage benefits from Bow Strength as well as a Manyshot volley.
    Hmmm...so TWF except for manyshot...interesting idea.

For raw run speed, my 20th level pure monk with 30% striders can actually outrun most other characters with similar striders and a Haste spell. It's just ludicrous how fast I am and it's only going to get worse as I advance into my Grandmaster of Flowers Epic Destiny and pick up the +30% passive move bonus from Air Spec.
    Oh how I know it my Wiztank is duoed with a Single-Class Light Monk if it weren't for the fact that she gets lost and distracted alot I'd be far behind the whole time...especially with Stalwart Stance on.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Hmmm...so TWF except for manyshot...interesting idea.

Oh how I know it my Wiztank is duoed with a Single-Class Light Monk if it weren't for the fact that she gets lost and distracted alot I'd be far behind the whole time...especially with Stalwart Stance on.
    I'm a flowersniffer, so despite my speed, I mainly use it to zigzag back and forth checking everything around me like a manic bumblebee on a triple espresso.

That's because striders don't stack with haste. Or expeditious retreat, or longstrider. All those spells are the same type of boost (enhancement) to run speed.

I know I suggest this build a lot, almost every time someone asks "What's a good build?", but it's because it's that good. Check out Thanimals Quad H build here. Easily the most fun I've had playing a character. Plus, when your friend's not on, it's very solo-able.

It's a Halfling Fighter 12/Monk 7/Wizard 1, and yes, the 1 level of wizard is necessary for the 2 meta feats that will boost your halfling healing Dmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanimal View Post
    Total Self-Healing Potential
    9 Cure Light for ((d6+2)+5) * 2.5 Max/Emp * 1.5 Devotion * 1.2 Monk Recovery * 1.1*1.2*1.3 uber equipment = 81 each; total 729
    7 Cure Serious for (3(d6+2)+15) * 2.5 * 1.5 * 1.2 * 1.1*1.2*1.3 = 243 each; total 1701
    6 Heal for 150 * 1.5 * 1.2 * 1.1*1.2*1.3 = 463 each; total 2780

Grand total: 5,210 HP per rest This is kind of a lie, though, as 463 point Heals will generally blow the top off your HP bar. Nice problem to have.

Have fun soloin' the castle!
    That way, your friend can concentrate on healing herself as you will be able to take care of yourself quite easily. Probably even throw some healing at her from time to time as well, you'll have some to spare.
    Last edited by MalkavianX; 06-20-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

Hmmm...interesting build. Definitely tempting...so Bowbarian, Emerald or or Quad-H...I wonder if I can fit Halfling w/ Dragonmarks into the Emerald..?

Monks get their final movement boost at level 18, so if you really want a ridiculously fast character, spalsh 1 ranger for sprint boost.

Ok so this is my attempt at merging the Quad-H and the Emerald...also since this is starting to become a very different build from the Emerald I'm gonna call it the Talentian Diamond.

Code:
    Lawful Good Halfling Monk12/Fighter6/Paladin2 - Talentian Diamond

Stats

Str 10
    Dex 16 (+1 tome by LvL 9)
    Con 14
    Int 14 (+2 Tome at LvL 7)
    Cha 8

Feats

1 TWF
    1M Toughness
    2F Weapon Finesse
    3 Dragonmark 1
    5M Stunning Fist
    6 Dragonmark 2
    6M Light Path
    9 ITWF
    9M Combat Expertise
    10F IC: Bludgeoning
    12 Mobility
    12F Spring Attack
    14F GTWF
    15 Dragonmark 3
    18 Improved Trip or Whirlwind (if the bugs are fixed)

Question: Is Shintao1/2 a worthwhile PrE or should I just be a Vanilla Light Monk?
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 03-22-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Ok so this is my attempt at merging the Quad-H and the Emerald...also since this is starting to become a very different build from the Emerald I'm gonna call it the Talentian Diamond.

Code:
    Lawful Good Halfling Monk12/Fighter6/Paladin2 - Talentian Diamond

Stats

Str 10
    Dex 16 (+1 tome by LvL 9)
    Con 14
    Int 14 (+2 Tome at LvL 7)
    Cha 8

Feats

1 TWF
    1M Toughness
    2F Weapon Finesse
    3 Dragonmark 1
    5M Stunning Fist
    6 Dragonmark 2
    6M Light Path
    9 ITWF
    9M Combat Expertise
    10F IC: Bludgeoning
    12 Mobility
    12F Spring Attack
    14F GTWF
    15 Dragonmark 3
    18 Improved Trip or Whirlwind (if the bugs are fixed)

Question: Is Shintao1/2 a worthwhile PrE or should I just be a Vanilla Light Monk?
    I have a capped 12/6/2 Emerald and to be honest, I'm not extremely impressed. The AC is completely meaningless in epic content, the damage is sub par compared to my pure dark monk, and it's less self sustaining then a light monk.

My opinion? Go pure dark monk. You're fast beyond belief, you get ToD which is just stupid amounts of damage (especially when combined with dark:dark:dark finisher, talking 3 strikes of 750 damage here on a what, 10 second cd?), Ninja Spy for 25% incoporiality that works in conjunction with blur, you can go Helf for cleric dilly and be completely self sufficient, you still have the ability to be the epic stunbot with 65+ SF dcs, you can go GM Earth for even more HP and PRR (not to mention an extra crit multiplier!), AND passive 70% hate gen to let you hold aggro for your ranged friend while you tank (I use this loosely, to say you take very much damage through incorp, blur, dodge, and any displacement and PRR you have is funny).

Going pure also gets you true innate feather fall (saves you a yellow slot), gives you the highest MS boost, and monk capstone...which is just gravy at this point. Sadly you miss out on a lot of the DR bypass types light moks get though Emerald is a fun build, yes, but somewhat out dated at this point now that AC is pretty irrelevant past 20.

Maybe a single class Monk is the way to go...here's a quick mock-up...hows it look

Code:
    Halfling Monk 20 "Ninja Spy'

Str 10
    Dex 16
    Con 12
    Int 10
    Wis 18 (LvL ups here)
    Cha 8 

1 Toughness
    1M TWF
    2M Stunning Fist
    3 Weapon Finesse
    3M Dark Path
    6 Power Attack
    6M Dodge
    9 ITWF
    12 IC:Bludgeon
    15 GTWF
    18 Need Suggestion!?!
    ED GMoF
    24 Vorpal Strikes or Improved Martial Arts

Skills: Balance, Concen, Spot, UMD

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

If you're not going for the obvious choice of human or HE, I prefer dwarves to halflings for monks. They're the only F2P race to get a bonus to a key monk stat (CON) without taking a penalty to one of their other key stats (DEX,CON,STR).

Here's the dwarven light monk build I've been using:
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Lawful Neutral Dwarf Female
    (20 Monk) 
    Hit Points: 312
    Spell Points: 0 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 16
    Will: 20

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             14                    16
    Dexterity            16                    18
    Constitution         16                    18
    Intelligence          8                     8
    Wisdom               16                    26
    Charisma              6                     6

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7

Level 1 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Stunning Fist
    Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness

Level 3 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Harmonious Balance: Fists of Light
    Feat: (Selected) Stunning Blow

Level 4 (Monk)
    Ability Raise: WIS

Level 5 (Monk)

Level 6 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack
    Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I
    Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense II
    Enhancement: Dwarven Tactics I
    Enhancement: Lifting the Veil
    Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortoise I
    Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortoise II
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Shintao Monk I
    Enhancement: Void Strike I
    Enhancement: Adept of Rock
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Improved Concentration I
    Enhancement: Monk Wisdom I

Level 7 (Monk)

Level 8 (Monk)

Level 9 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Monk)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery II
    Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery III
    Enhancement: Shintao Monk II
    Enhancement: Void Strike II
    Enhancement: Adept of Wind
    Enhancement: Master of Stone
    Enhancement: Adept of Flame
    Enhancement: Adept of Rain
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II

Level 13 (Monk)

Level 14 (Monk)

Level 15 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Monk)

Level 17 (Monk)

Level 18 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 19 (Monk)

Level 20 (Monk)
    Enhancement: Monk Serenity
    Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense III
    Enhancement: Fists of Iron
    Enhancement: Shintao Monk III
    Enhancement: Void Strike III
    Enhancement: Void Strike IV
    Enhancement: Grandmaster of Storms
    Enhancement: Master of Thunder
    Enhancement: Grandmaster of Mountains
    Enhancement: Master of Bonfires
    Enhancement: Master of the Sea
    Epic feats: Vorpal Strikes & Imp Martial Arts

The idea was an Earth-stance hate-tank monk with Void IV (which req's 3 Master stances and 1 GM, so it's pretty expensive to get). I started her pre-MotU; the AC & PRR changes kinda nerfed her tanking potential a lot, but she's still a fun little punching machine. I debated LRing her to dark for ToD + Shadow Fade, but so far I've stuck with light. You can see I didn't max out WIS enhs; that was the only way I could afford Shintao III + Void IV + two GM stances (Wind for DPS, Earth for tanking). I think she was only lvl 11 or 12 when I parked her, though, so couldn't comment on her epic viability yet; but also means I have plenty of time to tweak enhs.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast