Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Here's how to disable Loading Screen download on launch

This was a very annoying situation on Windows too. I guess they want to make sure we see the latest ads and offers every time we want to play the game, but it's unnecessarily slow especially when the launcher insists on downloading the loading screens for ALL the languages.

Anyway, here's how to disable it on Mac OS X:
    • Select the Dungeons & Dragons icon in your Applications folder,

• Control-click or Right-click and choose Show Package Contents.

• From inside the app package, navigate to Contents/Resources/dndclient.app/Contents/Resources/

• and select the DownloadFilesList.xml file in there and make a backup copy of it, just in case.

• Edit DownloadFilesList.xml to the following:
      Code:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <FileList>
      </FileList>
    • Save it then Get Info on that file (⌘I) and check Locked to make it read-only.

• Enjoy your new instant Launcher.

You may need to uncheck Locked before a game update to let it download any new splash screens.

TL;DR: Edit the /Applications/DNDLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/dndclient.app/Contents/Resources/DownloadFilesList.xml to have a blank <FileList> element then Lock that file to make it read-only. (at least I think "DNDLauncher.app" was the original name before I renamed it.)
    Last edited by PwnHammer40K; 02-20-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: some clarification

Now, how do you do it for a PC so I can keep my custom load screens?
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

Hero

Awesome, thank you very much!
    Khyber: Ying-1, Kobeyashi, Nichevo-1 | 75 million Reaper XP

Community Member GentlemanAndAScholar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwnHammer40K View Post
    This was a very annoying situation on Windows too. I guess they want to make sure we see the latest ads and offers every time we want to play the game, but it's unnecessarily slow especially when the launcher insists on downloading the loading screens for ALL the languages.

• From inside the app package, navigate to Contents/Resources/dndclient.app/Contents/Resources/

• and select the DownloadFilesList.xml file in there and make a backup copy of it, just in case.

Code:
      <FileList>
      </FileList>
    • Save it then Get Info on that file (⌘I) and check Locked to make it read-only.

You may need to uncheck Locked before a game update to let it download any new splash screens.

TL;DR: Edit the /Applications/DNDLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/dndclient.app/Contents/Resources/DownloadFilesList.xml to have a blank <FileList> element then Lock that file to make it read-only. (at least I think "DNDLauncher.app" was the original name before I renamed it.)
    Funny, I was literally about to post this info. I found it last night by trial and error. That's such an annoying feature. Sheesh.
    Coldflame | Toord and many horrible experiments.
    True Join Date: Circa mid 2007. Still a noob. My simple forum rules: http://pastebin.com/ftE2V1GG

Great tip, thank you!

For what it's worth...

The Cause of the multiple updates is "simple."

The Mac Client (both for DDO and LOTRO) was written by people who have no knowledge of OSX.

If you look at the contents of the file described above: DownloadFilesList.xml, you will quickly realize that the <FileName> being searched for are all in Windows format...
    " raw\en\logo\lotro_ad_pregame.jpg"

Note the back-slashes "\" in the file names, so naturally, they can never be found under OSX.
    While the back-slash is not an illegal character in an OSX file name, it has a completely different meaning to OSX than it has to any version of windows.

Compare the "FileName" parameter to the <DownloadUrl> parameter on the next line -- THAT filename is in correct format for OSX or any non-Windows operating system.

That being said, an alternative fix, which will cause only the UPDATED files to be downloaded, is to edit that file changing all "\" to "/", rather than deleting the contents as in the above suggestion.

Both techniques work to stop the downloading of all 30 screens on every launch, but this technique does allow the changed screens to be updated.

Note that both DDO and LOTRO use the same MacClient. The difference is in the Plist files.
    (I'm a Founder/Lifetimer with both DDO and LOTRO, but play LOTRO most of the time.)

Community Member

That's a great tip Valamar. It really speeds up the launching sequence and still gets the new screens when they change. Here are some commands you can type into /Applications/Utilities/Terminal to correct the file, and to lock it to stop future updates from undoing the corrections:

Code:
    dlFilesList=/Applications/DNDLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/dndclient.app/Contents/Resources/DownloadFilesList.xml
    sed -i.bak 's;\\;/;g' ${dlFilesList}
    chflags uchg ${dlFilesList}
    To unlock the file you can do this:

Code:
    dlFilesList=/Applications/DNDLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/dndclient.app/Contents/Resources/DownloadFilesList.xml
    chflags nouchg ${dlFilesList}
    Last edited by Kaytis; 05-10-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    Formerly Katie_Seaglen

Community Member

Seems safe to remove the sections that apply to the language not being used as well, there's really no reason you'd need that at all. Just keep the languages that WOULD be used on the computer

Community Member

Default Really Useful

Thanks for this; really speed up initial load times.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    For what it's worth...

The Cause of the multiple updates is "simple."

The Mac Client (both for DDO and LOTRO) was written by people who have no knowledge of OSX.

If you look at the contents of the file described above: DownloadFilesList.xml, you will quickly realize that the <FileName> being searched for are all in Windows format...
    " raw\en\logo\lotro_ad_pregame.jpg"

Note the back-slashes "\" in the file names, so naturally, they can never be found under OSX.
    While the back-slash is not an illegal character in an OSX file name, it has a completely different meaning to OSX than it has to any version of windows.

Compare the "FileName" parameter to the <DownloadUrl> parameter on the next line -- THAT filename is in correct format for OSX or any non-Windows operating system.

That being said, an alternative fix, which will cause only the UPDATED files to be downloaded, is to edit that file changing all "\" to "/", rather than deleting the contents as in the above suggestion.

Both techniques work to stop the downloading of all 30 screens on every launch, but this technique does allow the changed screens to be updated.

Note that both DDO and LOTRO use the same MacClient. The difference is in the Plist files.
    (I'm a Founder/Lifetimer with both DDO and LOTRO, but play LOTRO most of the time.)
    You, sir, are a saint. And my favorite person of the day. Thanks!

If you have the new Mac client that uses the DDO Installer (the one that doesn't actually install 'Dungeons and Dragons Online' into your Applications folder), you'll need to go instead to /Users/Shared/Happycloud/Cache/DNDLauncher.app/Contents/Resources
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

Default oh no, not again!

with the last update (U23) the luncher is downloading again all that ****, but the donwload-list file is unchanged, still a blank list, anyone got this problem?
    Cavalieri dei Draghi - Khyber
    Marcellaa - 3x Wiz/Sorc/Fvs/Clr - 2x Art/Brd - 1x Brb/Drd/Ftr/Mnk/Pal/Rng/Rog
    Patatina / Sventrator / Flagello / Incazzato / Fendente / Botolina / Porchetta / Sgargatubo gymp

Community Member

Default for all systems:

The reason this happens is that the devs are using a file called DownloadFilesList.txt that lies in the game's directory to check version of splash screens against their current version.
    The problem is that they wrote the paths all wrong. They are using relative paths: "raw\en....."
    I'm a programmer and there are 2 things wrong here:
    you should never use "\" in paths strings. always use "/". that cause it to be cross platform.
    secondly, the dev forgot to add one more "\" at the beginning of the strings. so when they search they search for (for example):
    "c:\games\ddo" <--- game's directory
    "raw\en...." <--- relative path
    which when you concat them turns to: "c:\games\ddoraw\en"... which doesn't exist.
    This explanation, I hope, will make the devs finally fix that bug. In the meantime, for all your players out there do the following:
    go to that file i mentioned, delete all the files (including the corresponding opening <file> and enclosing </file> tags) for all languages you dont care for. leave the language you care for and add a "\" at the beginning of each file right before the word "raw" (if you are on mac add a "/" and not a "\").
    save
    right click on the file and mark "read-only".
    from now on ddo cannot touch that file and it will always make sure your relevant splash screens are up to date without annoying you each time you start the launcher.

devs, it's easy to fix, plz do.

Community Member

I downloaded the play as you install version which changes the paths a bit..

For me the path to the file was:

Users/Shared/Happycloud/Cache/Dungeons and Dragons Online.app (right click, show package contents)

Then

Contents/Resources/Dungeons and Dragons Online.app (right click, show package contents)

Then

Contents/Resources/DownloadFilesList.xml (edit as posted above)

Confirmed working great - U20 / Mac OSX 10.9

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by murphy30 View Post
    In the meantime, for all your players out there do the following:
    go to that file i mentioned, delete all the files (including the corresponding opening <file> and enclosing </file> tags) for all languages you dont care for. leave the language you care for and add a "\" at the beginning of each file right before the word "raw" (if you are on mac add a "/" and not a "\").
    save
    from now on ddo cannot touch that file and it will always make sure your relevant splash screens are up to date without annoying you each time you start the launcher.
    Thanks, i fixed it this way

you should never use "\" in paths strings. always use "/". that cause it to be cross platform.
    secondly, the dev forgot to add one more "\" at the beginning of the strings. so when they search they search for (for example):
    which when you concat them turns to: "c:\games\ddoraw\en"... which doesn't exist.
    This explanation, I hope, will make the devs finally fix that bug.

I think this is really a tiny bug, but i wonder why they don't fix it, and, maybe most importantly, why they made those mistakes in the first place...
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

The reason this happens is that the devs are using a file called DownloadFilesList.txt that lies in the game's directory to check version of splash screens against their current version.
    The problem is that they wrote the paths all wrong. They are using relative paths: "raw\en....."
    This explanation, I hope, will make the devs finally fix that bug. In the meantime, for all your players out there do the following:
    save

I would really recommend not sticking a "/" in front of raw on a mac, because then you're technically telling the client to look for a directory named "raw" at the root of your boot drive. Simply changing the "\" to "/" takes care of things rather well.
    "Sorry Elminster, it was really dark, and I'd drank a LOT of coffee..."

Quote Originally Posted by jwelch View Post
    I would really recommend not sticking a "/" in front of raw on a mac, because then you're technically telling the client to look for a directory named "raw" at the root of your boot drive. Simply changing the "\" to "/" takes care of things rather well.
    Same thing on a PC : "\" at the beginning means to start from the root of the current partition. There are two ways to start from the current directory : either without anything, either begin with ".\" (the dot means current directory in a tree, while two dots would mean the parent directory). To make sure, verify that the shortcut's parameter "Starts in" has the correct path as the root of these, but it shouldn't be required.

Anyways, I've emptied DownloadFilesList.xml but it doesn't work (still loading), and I can't fins that txt file that is mentioned above

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwnHammer40K View Post

Code:
      <FileList>
      </FileList>
    • Save it then Get Info on that file (?I) and check Locked to make it read-only.

So...

I installed DDO recently through Steam. WHen starting the game, I had to click yes on 2 seperate installations... one for steam, and one for Visual C Redist. And then there is the loadingscreens.

I notice this is mostly on Mac and that I am on a windows machine, but I cannot find any DownloadFilesList.xml in my game folders, OR the user folders. I do however find a UserPreference.ini mentioning the files. IF anyone could pop up the path for the windows client I'll be a happy camper