Community Member

Cool Trying to find a build pure AA

Hello, I'm somewhat new to ddo and have been unsucessful on finding a build that is only RANGED dps and that is only archer, hopefully dex based so I can hit while moving I have 32 point builds and if possible (probobly not but I dont mind) one that is human race? Otherwise elf for the dex will work.

ok a few questions...

do you have the half elf race??

are you pay to play?

are you willing to have a cross class for more efficiency or would you rather it be a pure ranger just because?
    Sarlona:Hematoma,Ceethreepeeo,Masturwindew,Aretwodeetoo,Ohbeewahn[color=white].

Proud Leader of Zerger's Anonymous

Community Member

I do not have half elf and am not p2p howver I intend to be soon, however I am able to multi class and have tried it before but as I am not experienced with multiclassing I do preffer just archer.

I would read through the following thread... it's an older post, but pretty much lines up exactly to your requirements:

Arcane Archer: or how an eternally ranged player sees the PrE
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=263907

Community Member

Thank you and I have read some of the above thread, I went ahead and attempted making my first build and I know it's subject to ALOT of changes which is why I only did the first 10 levels of a pure human AA, currently is stricly dex based with no points into STR, by doing this if I got rid of points in dex or con to put into str would that be smart or no?

Anyways keep in mind this is my first time ever using this software and playing an AA in general so please, all feedback is welcome.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.14.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Centurylink 
    Level 10 Lawful Good Human Male
    (10 Ranger) 
    Hit Points: 172
    Spell Points: 263 
    BAB: 10\10\15\20
    Fortitude: 11
    Reflex: 14
    Will: 5

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 10)
    Strength              8                    10
    Dexterity            18                    25
    Constitution         16                    18
    Intelligence         10                    12
    Wisdom               12                    14
    Charisma              8                    10

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 10)
    Balance               6                    14
    Bluff                -1                     0
    Concentration         7                    17
    Diplomacy             1                     5.5
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle               -1                     0
    Heal                  1                     2
    Hide                  4                     7
    Intimidate           -1                     0
    Jump                  3                    14
    Listen                1                     3
    Move Silently         4                     7
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform              n/a                    n/a
    Repair                0                     1
    Search                0                     2
    Spot                  5                    15
    Swim                  3                    13
    Tumble                6                    13.5
    Use Magic Device     n/a                    n/a

Level 1 (Ranger)
    Skill: Balance (+2)
    Skill: Concentration (+4)
    Skill: Diplomacy (+2)
    Skill: Jump (+4)
    Skill: Spot (+4)
    Skill: Swim (+4)
    Skill: Tumble (+2)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Point Blank Shot
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost I
    Enhancement: Human Versatility I
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage I
    Enhancement: Ranger Devotion I

Level 2 (Ranger)
    Skill: Balance (+0.5)
    Skill: Concentration (+1)
    Skill: Diplomacy (+0.5)
    Skill: Jump (+1)
    Skill: Search (+1)
    Skill: Swim (+1)
    Skill: Tumble (+0.5)
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I

Level 3 (Ranger)
    Skill: Spot (+2)
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Improved Jump I

Level 4 (Ranger)
    Skill: Balance (+1)
    Skill: Spot (+1)
    Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost II
    Enhancement: Human Versatility II
    Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild I

Level 5 (Ranger)
    Skill: Listen (+1)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Dexterity I
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage II

Level 6 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Force Arrows
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer I

Level 7 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II

Level 8 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild II
    Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity II

Level 9 (Ranger)
    Skill: Tumble (+1)
    Feat: (Selected) Power Critical
    Enhancement: Human Versatility III
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Conjure +2 Arrows

Level 10 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Elemental
    Enhancement: Human Versatility IV
    Last edited by guruofice; 01-23-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Ranged damage is pretty weak at best, and by dumping strength you're making it even worse... rangers get a feat called "bow strength" that allows them to add their strength modifier to their bow damage. This does a little to mitigate the poor overall DPS of bows. The other major thing that overcomes the gap is multishot on the ranger. This is huge burst DPS, but hasa big cool down... you'll find being able to fall back on swinging a weapon while you wait for it to come off timer is a good idea... again strength helps here.

Just saying, there's ntohing stopping you from going pure dex/aa if you want

Most people will tell you to stop right now, but I say go on.

1. Strength is NOT a dump stat for AA's. If anything, it's your main stat. Too many new players join and pump everything into dexterity, which cripples their damage output. It is absurdly easy to get your attack high enough where you'll rarely miss; there are a multitude of items that increase your attack/to-hit. A minimum of 16 dexterity at start and leave it at that, adding your level up points into strength. You dexterity will become high through enhancements, items, and tomes.

2. Don't let people pooh pooh you about damage. Those that say that ranged DPS is horrible have most likely never played a properly built AA. Yes, your raw damage output is lacking, but your real damage comes from critical hits (bows have a x3 modifier). Getting a high base damage rating through high strength and items improves your critical damage, and with bows like the Silverbow, Sinew, and Pinion, you'll be amazed at how high you can hit with criticals, especially at high levels. Seeker enchantments on your items are your best friend. Add in up to +14 damage from the ranger's favored enemy feats and you're looking at some nice damage.

3. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT become ranged 100% of the time. No ranger build is always ranged or melee; adaptability is the hallmark of the class. Use your bow when it's to your advantage and take into account the amount of mobs around you and the situation. The best ranger, whether melee or ranged focused, adapts to the situation.
    Last edited by HastyPudding; 01-24-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    Most people will tell you to stop right now, but I say go on.

2. Don't let people pooh pooh you about damage. Those that say that ranged DPS is horrible have most likely never played a properly built AA. Yes, your raw damage output is lacking, but your real damage comes from critical hits (bows have a x3 modifier). Getting a high base damage rating through high strength and items improves your critical damage, and with bows like the Silverbow, Sinew, and Pinion, you'll be amazed at how high you can hit with criticals, especially at high levels. Seeker enchantments on your items are your best friend. Add in up to +14 damage from the ranger's favored enemy feats and you're looking at some nice damage.

3. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT become ranged 100% of the time. No ranger build is always ranged or melee; adaptability is the hallmark of the class. Use your bow when it's to your advantage and take into account the amount of mobs around you and the situation. The best ranger, whether melee or ranged focused, adapts to the situation.
    You should probably edit these a bit to be clear that, if you're not benefiting from some effect like 10k stars or manyshot, you are better off meleeing from a damage-based perspective, due to the fact that ranged has significantly slower attack speed and bows tend to have bad critical profiles (outside of about 3 bows). No AA can stay ranged all the time and maximizing their effectiveness.

To the OP, if you want a build that stays ranged more than pretty much any other, WoWo's Monkcher guide will give you solid advice on how to build an AA that gets 10k stars, which enables you to stay ranged with significant damage contribution. Whether you want a monkcher or a pure ranger (which, as a less-specialized ranged character), remember that strength is very important if you want to do any damage at all, and gear/32+ point build/tomes are also very important to making an AA work well.

Try hard to avoid the "max-dex, min-str pure ranger AA that never puts down a bow" trap, though...those are the types of builds that make all the other AAs look bad.
    Pestilence: Wruntjunior ~ Dragonborn Fire Sorc (finished completionist project) // Wruntarrow ~ HW Archer // Youngwrunt ~ SWF SDK Bardbarian // Wruntstaff ~ Stick Melee (current tr project)

Community Member

Thanks HastyPudding, I concluded after reading more on the AA thread it states clearly to not be purely ranged and wont probobly go that route, however still having difficulties allotting points, right now I got

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.14.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Centurylink 
    Level 1 True Neutral Human Male
    (1 Ranger) 
    Hit Points: 29
    Spell Points: 0 
    BAB: 1\1
    Fortitude: 3
    Reflex: 5
    Will: 0

Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 1)
    Strength             18                    18
    Dexterity            16                    16
    Constitution         12                    12
    Intelligence          8                     8
    Wisdom               10                    10
    Charisma              8                     8
    With human adaptability I plan on putting points into STR and CON.

I think the Dex and STR are where I want them to be, could perhaps lower my STR by a maximum of 2 points but where my real problem lies, is 12 constitution too low? I intended to take toughness right off the bat which will help a bit with the lower health, also I *think* the wisdom is fine, I seen some builds where it's raised to 12 or 14 but I don't know if I see the point, thanks for all the help though.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by guruofice View Post
    Thanks HastyPudding, I concluded after reading more on the AA thread it states clearly to not be purely ranged and wont probobly go that route, however still having difficulties allotting points, right now I got
    Consider dropping Strength to 16. Its 1 less +Dam but gives you a heap of points to spend elsewhere. Consider Int because you get more skills. Consider Con because sometimes you will end up having to melee.

As a Ranger you get a few melee feats for "free". Dont be afraid to bring out a couple of swords/maces/whatever and beat down the mobs which are in your face.

In a group you can stay at range for pretty much the entire dungeon (just be sure to stay within the Point Blank Shot range of the mobs). But if you ever want to solo, you are going to find yourself having to fend off mobs from time to time.

AA is much better now than it has been in the past. With a good bow you will love the damage. Silver Longbow is incredible for level 6. Bow of Sinew is incredible for level 14. House D favor unlocks some very nice arrows. Get Thin Quivers because you are going to need the storage space.

And remember, Rangers can cast spells. So many never seem to bother. Rams Might. Barkskin. Resist Energy. Freedom of Movement.

Community Member

Allright, I think i'm going to finally start me AA, with the following stats,

16 STR
    16 DEX
    14 CON
    10 INT
    12 WIS
    8 CHA

thanks for all the replies I hope these stats are decent

About wisdom: rangers need at least a 14 to cast their level 4 spells. Some would opt to dump wisdom, since even starting at 8, if you can slot a +6 wisdom somewhere that gets you to 14.

For example, in your build, you could drop to a 10 wisdom "safely"... the +2 tome gets you to 12, where you can then cast owl's wisdom which bumps you to 16. Note that dumping wisdom then lessens your max SP amount and your bonus' to spot which are both nice for a first life/new player.

Jump caps at 40 and you get the jump spell which will get you a whopping +30. Keep that in mind when distributing your skill points.

I would say just jump in and keep learning. A first life of any class is a learning experience which is half the fun.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aliss7 View Post
    About wisdom: rangers need at least a 14 to cast their level 4 spells. Some would opt to dump wisdom, since even starting at 8, if you can slot a +6 wisdom somewhere that gets you to 14.
    Depending on planned gear, starting with 12 and having a +2 Tome gets you there. Then you dont need to wear a Wis item at all.

But if you expect to wear a Wis item, then 8 is okay if you plan on having Wis items fairly early on.

One more tip for beginning ranged toons. Go into your Adv Graphics options and make sure your object draw distance is set to ultra high. You'll be able to then see and hit targets from very far away.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aliss7 View Post
    One more tip for beginning ranged toons. Go into your Adv Graphics options and make sure your object draw distance is set to ultra high. You'll be able to then see and hit targets from very far away.
    Or Very High if your PC/laptop/whatever isnt up to it. If you really want to hit things at range consider dropping the quality of the graphics so you can at least see them, even if they are a little blurry.

Community Member

All settings are on ultra, I am already level 4 on my new AA, I decided to stick with 12 WIS so I can use a wis tome for 14 and not have the burden of trying to find a wis item