Guardiest guarder of guard-dom Yokido's Avatar

Default Even if Random items became fully superior..

I'd still have to say I want named items, even if getting randomly generated stuff is easier and has a greater yield, I'm the kind of guy who actively seeks a challenge and for that challenge to be mnemonically linked to my gear.

If you observe a fully decked out character wearing randomly generated loot, you probably won't recall where they came from or how that run went because they don't come from any one place in particular so there's nothing to remind you.. But for named loot, you have that feature, you will never forget that one time you ran the Abbot and looted a Litany of the Dead on the first ever run.

So please forumz, share your loot stories!
    Last edited by Yokido; 01-09-2013 at 06:26 AM.

Community Member

yupp, i like named loot to.
    Thats the reason i would rather play Diablo1 then 3, miss my Spiked Demonplate ^^

And i miss those descriptions you had in older games for each item plus the fluff text and in case of Fallout the Vaultboy Pics to each Item.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Wink When mnemonically meets pneumatically

Quote Originally Posted by Yokido View Post
    I'd still have to say I want named items, even if getting randomly generated stuff is easier and has a greater yield, I'm the kind of guy who actively seeks a challenge and for that challenge to be pnuemonically linked to my gear.
    You adventure in an old-fashioned diving suit with an air hose?

It would be challenging, no doubt about that...
    Last edited by Persiflage; 01-09-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Fixing the quotage
    Crime in multi-storey car parks: it's wrong on so many levels.

Guardiest guarder of guard-dom Yokido's Avatar

Ah-hah.. I took the, "If I make the spelling seem convoluted, nobody will notice it's wrong!" approach, made famous by G.W.B. :3

LEWT STORIES I SAY!

So please forumz, share your loot stories!
    After having just flagged for DQ2 on my Bard, I joined an Epic run, completed and pulled a Torc on my first try.

On my first ever raid (Reaver) I pulled a +3 dex tome on my (at the time) halfling dex monk. Although it took 36 tries to get my boots on that toon.

That toon has generally been pretty lucky on all his lives. So I tend to farm items for with him instead of my PM now. He has pulled two bloodstones, firestorm, + many collectible named items (stuff I keep but will likely never use), and often the epic ingredients I'm looking for. Also pulled his ToD ring on the third try, chattering ring on the 8th.

It all equals out, my other toons seem to be equally as unlucky.

Anyway, I wish I could use more of the named gear while leveling, I too would prefer to see them used over generic health belt +4, etc.
    -Anything is possible....if you don't understand the problem.
    -Better to be perceived a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.
    -Luck is simply a crossroads between circumstance and knowledge, both are things you can control.

7. 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM

Community Member

Indeed gaining great loot during the course of ones adventures is enjoyable, but honestly what you call adventure I call dungeon trudge. For me the finest adventure is that most risk filled and perilous to ones sanity, the realm known as the Auction House.

In my time there I have found some truly notable items seemingly forsaken by the unwise.

Like my banishing silver dagger of the righteous, a truly handy devil killer for the shroud area.

Or my beholders optic nerve I payed a mere 10k bo for,

Or my beloved sacrificial dagger, a blade that in the hands of a finesse specced rogue is truly deadly.

For me named loot especially armor is the worst part of DDO, because in the end people all tend to gravitate towards the one so called best in its class.

Im sick of people in dragonscale for example. Every set of red and green is just an eye sore.

Ah-hah.. I took the, "If I make the spelling seem convoluted, nobody will notice it's wrong!" approach, made famous by G.W.B. :3

LEWT STORIES I SAY!
    Fair enough, it was what you asked for

In general, I have had appalling, abysmal, downright abominable luck with Lord of Dust chain loot. Really, truly awful. However, t'was not always so... On my first attempt at farming an item out, I announced in guild chat that I was going to farm myself an Epic Golden Guile, to general mirth and derision.

First run through the chain, I pulled and linked the Guile and the scroll.
    Second run through the chain, I pulled and linked the seal.
    Third run, I pulled and linked the shard, to cries of utter astonishment.

Given the incredible paucity of drops I've had from it since, I regard that as lottery-win levels of luck, but with the unfortunate and not-inconsiderable downside that I did not, in fact, win the lottery. Ho-hum.
    Crime in multi-storey car parks: it's wrong on so many levels.

I hate the idea of the best things on random loot get. Always nice combinations are on useless weapon types (like club or light hammer).
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Soloing Lords of Dust EN pulled 2 seals, a scroll, and in the final chest, a +2 tome. In final reward, pulled a +2 to +2 upgrade tome all from the same run. For the next month, the best thing I found from any quest was a major SP as an end reward.

You know, random loot gen could be made so much better if they allowed maybe up to a +3 craftable item to be added maybe one-time on some items.

I mean, in addition to the guild slots (which carry over from disjuncted stuff anyways). if you decon it to a blank, the ability is lost. Now THAT would get me more interested in using random loot.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Named loot is great it just needs to pop randomly out of different chests in different quests. That would make it truly great. Not only would you get the awesome piece of named loot but you would get the additional excitement of never knowing where you may find it again or if.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Orratti View Post
    Named loot is great it just needs to pop randomly out of different chests in different quests. That would make it truly great. Not only would you get the awesome piece of named loot but you would get the additional excitement of never knowing where you may find it again or if.
    We already have a fair number of named items that do this. Most (All?) of them are lower level items though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    I hate the idea of the best things on random loot get. Always nice combinations are on useless weapon types (like club or light hammer).
    Untick in options character end loot based on class or something similar, you will get more weapons and armor if you are a caster type.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Untick in options character end loot based on class or something similar, you will get more weapons and armor if you are a caster type.
    Thats not it.

If I'm a caster, I don't care if I get awesome casting weapon as a dagger, club, scepter, axe, sword, khopesh, its all the same, and I even prefer something unusual, as it stands in the crowd of icons, and is easily distinguished from other items.

But if I'm playing my dwarven axe using melee, and I get for example +7 cosmic of pheblotomizing superior rib cracker light club, something that should feel like awesome weapon feels like a junk, because, lets be honest, who uses 1d6 damage, 20X2 critic weapon?

The thing I dislike the most on random weapons, is fact that there are much too much possible combinations, and chance to get something trully awesome is smaller than chance of winning a million on a lottery.
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Roll a Druid
    In Animal form the base of the weapon doesnt matter, just the enchants!
    1h weapons like light hammer are perfect for that, no one wants them so you can get the ones with the best enchants for unbelievable low sums.
    Bought some of the best weapons for my Drunk at under 5k ^^
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    Roll a Druid
    In Animal form the base of the weapon doesnt matter, just the enchants!
    1h weapons like light hammer are perfect for that, no one wants them so you can get the ones with the best enchants for unbelievable low sums.
    Bought some of the best weapons for my Drunk at under 5k ^^
    Well, thats a good idea, and I didn't though of that, but when I want to play a melee toon, I think I prefer to use melee not caster class for it ;p
    (call me old fashioned if you like)

Community Member MaximumCharisma's Avatar

Ya, my barbarian pulled the Sword of Shadows on his first ever von run at lvl 10. It was a memorable pull for sure. That weapon eventually became Epic too
    Secondlife and Komat of Sarlona