Community Member

Default Suggestions For My Second Life

Barring the fact that I still need to get a few more tomes for my character, my main is 'ready' for a TR.

Current life:
    18 Ranger 1 Rogue 1 Fighter
    Tempest III 28 Point Build

I've neglected this character for a bit since the Underdark Update, and after taking a three month break, I've come back to playing this guy. I don't have anything stellar on this guy, a pair of harry beaters, a pair of smiters, a few bound to account items that I toss back and forth, bow of the silver flame, and bow of sinew. I have yet to farm underdark items but I plan on farming for the mid levels for my next life first.

A few things I will point out, this is my crafting character, my levels are currently 48 arcane, 39 divine, and 42 elemental. I plan on doing more crafting as I have four alts between levels 7 and 15, and one alt at level 23 (a ranger of the same build, two bards, a cleric, and a paladin).

I have already determined that my paladin will TR to fighter, so I wont TR my ranger to fighter. I'm split between choosing artificer and favored soul. My guild leader has an amazing many shot AA evoker FvS build that I thought I would use on the second life of my ranger. Obviously with this character being my crafter, I am enticed to make a human artificer with the mark of making (whether I take it early or swap it out after I hit 20 is up to if I want to use a lesser heart of wood).

So...
    FvS Evoker AA Elf or
    Artificer Human

Or do you have a better idea?

Well I guess it depends what your "final" goal is for the Toon... since Epic Destinies came out, the benefit of TRing has shrunk.

If you want to end up as an artificer... then sorcerer past lives give bonuses to evocation spells... all the more damage from your blade barrier. FVS past life does not really contribute much to an artificer.
    No longer reading the Forums.

Community Member

I'm not focusing on my third or fourth life just yet, but I see taking artificer as a way to simply give myself a nice boost in crafting levels. Also, I'm a big fan of using UMD... I'm pretty sure artificer gives me a bonus...... but again I'm not thinking about my third life ;-]

I'd say go with the artificer, you already look like you got your mind set to it.

As you said you aint thinking about third or fourth PL, so the real question should be. Which class and build would you have more fun?

Community Member

Honestly, at this point in the game, if you don't have any sort of multi-life plan for a character, why not just make a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by aeroplanefly View Post
    I'm not focusing on my third or fourth life just yet, but I see taking artificer as a way to simply give myself a nice boost in crafting levels. Also, I'm a big fan of using UMD... I'm pretty sure artificer gives me a bonus...... but again I'm not thinking about my third life ;-]
    Do the bonus crafting levels from artificer last beyond the next TR?
    Arti PL gives a +1 bonus to UMD. The active feat is quite nice as well... if you can afford it.
    If you want the toon to be your crafter... go human artificer (like you said) and get the dragon marks. Then leave the Toon standing by the bank in the crafting hall... and play other toons!

Aimlessly TR-ing can be fun... but it makes much more sense to have some kind of plan (Ranger before Artificer... etc) otherwise you end up not getting any benefit from your past lives (eg cleric before barb). Then (unless going for completionist) you could just start a new toon, and get to cap faster!
    No longer reading the Forums.

Community Member

Chars should either be dedicated crafters, or combat chars that have crafting. Dont bother puttin Maker's Mark on a char that you actually want to take out and fight with, theres no need to split your specialization. And if you want a dedicated crafting toon, dont bother with TRs for it, either, since those are all combat-oriented - just roll up a human arti and regrind those early crafting levels.

Artis are still decent crafters though, even without the Mark - if you didnt want to build a standalone crafting alt, you could still TR a couple times on your way to Arti, keep your crafting levels, and craft with him sans Dragonmarks...TRing is great for grinding crafting as A) you actually get to make stuff you use, and B) you pick up a lot of junk while leveling to 20 over and over that you can reclaim for crafting mats.

If you just want a casual TR plan, take your Ranger to Sorc next, and then to Arti third. You'll get a 36 pt Arti, with a little bonus to Evoc and Ranged damage. Maybe stick Druid in third instead, if you have it, for the bonus to your pet/hireling.