Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DDO Mac Beta Client for Live Servers

DDO is coming to the Mac! A beta version of the Mac client for the live servers is available to DDO players to try!

To get started with the DDO Mac client, download the installer at this link (UPDATED URL): http://content.turbine.com/sites/cli...do/ddolive.dmg

Instructions to Install:

• COPY the installer URL. (We recommend that players not attempt to hand-type the above URL)
    • Download the file (this is a full client download for this initial preview, and may take longer than your typical DDO game client downloads on PC do)
    • Upon download, open the .dmg file
    • Drag the DNDLauncher .app to a place you see fit (Applications folder is the standard place)
    • Run the launcher, patch up, and begin to play DDO on your Mac!
    • Let us know how DDO runs on your Mac

Please note that this is a beta version of the DDO Mac client, so if you experience any anomalies, please be sure to tell us about it here in the beta forum so our engineers can investigate if necessary!

• Mac-related bug reports should be sent under the “Other” category, and include the word “Mac” in your summary of the issue (that’s the text box entitled “Please provide a brief summary of the bug:*”).

• Be sure to review the Mac Known Issues and FAQ below!

Thanks for trying out the DDO Mac client!

Known Issues

• Upon closing, the DDO client will sometimes generate a crash error even though the client did not actually crash.
    • Right-click reporting in chat does not generate a ticket properly. Please submit spam and harassment reports via the traditional ticketing system.
    • The "gameplay" section of the ticketing system does not generate a ticket properly. If you experience difficulty submitting an in-game ticket, please submit one via our support site at http://support.turbine.com
    • The "take screenshot" feature does not work.
    • Rainbow-like graphical anomalies appear if Glow Mapping and/or Post-Effects are toggled on.
    • Some payment methods in the Store do not work properly, and the "Even more payment methods" does not display properly. If you experience this issue, please include the payment type you were attempting to use in your bug report (e.g. WebMoney, BOKU).

FAQ

What is the DDO Mac client?

The Mac client is a version of the DDO game that runs natively on the Apple Mac operating system, without a requirement for Windows emulation software.

What OSX versions are supported?

At present, the DDO Mac client is supported for players running OSX Lion (10.7) and OSX Mountain Lion (10.8). While some functionality may work on older versions of OSX, only 10.7 and 10.8 are supported.

What are the system requirements?

These system requirements are based on the hardware used during the porting and validation effort. As a result, they reflect the newest hardware available from Apple. While we don’t want to discourage playing DDO on older machines running OSX 10.7 and above, we have not been able to verify the quality of the experience.

General Requirements

• Processor: 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor w/3MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    • Note: Power PCs are not supported
    • Memory: 2GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory
    • Storage: 500GB (7200 rpm) hard drive – or – 256GB flash storage
    • Graphics:
      • Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 288MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
      • AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
      • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

13-inch MacBook Pro Specifications

• Processor: 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor w/3MB L3 cache
    • Memory: 4GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
    • Storage: 500GB (5400 rpm) hard drive
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000; NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display Specifications

• Processor: 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor w/6MB shared L3 cache
    • Memory: 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
    • Storage: 256GB flash storage
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000; NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

Mac Mini Specifications

• Processor: 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor w/3MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    • Storage: 500GB flash storage
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 288MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

iMac Specifications

• Processor: 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    • Memory: 4GB (two 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory
    • Storage: 500GB (7200 rpm) hard drive
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

What are the differences between the PC and Mac versions?

• Rendering: The Mac client uses OpenGL for rendering, instead of DirectX. OpenGL renders all DirectX 9 content at ultra-high resolution, however features implemented using DirectX 10 and 11 will not be available in the initial release of the Mac client. Therefore, the following features will not render in the Mac client:
      • Shadow maps (instead of shadow volumes)
      • Soft shorelines
      • Soft particles
      • Volumetric sunlight
      • Ambient occlusion (DirectX 11 only)
      • Interactive water (DirectX 11 only)

• Key-mapping: Some of the default key-mapping for the OSX client will be different than the Windows client. Standard Windows keys and key-mappings for which there are no Mac equivalents include:
      • Print screen
      • Hide UI
      • Num-Lock
      • Note: While key-mapping functions correctly, the Mac client Beta UI will erroneously display an ‘Unsupported’ message for all mapped keys. This issue will be resolved in the Mac client Release.

Is the Mac version the same as, or similar to Wine?

No. The DDO Mac client is a native OSX client that has been built to be run exclusively on OSX. It does not utilize a Windows emulation environment, such as Wine, VMware, or Parallels.

If I'm running on Bootcamp, do I need to reinstall DDO?

Yes. The Mac client is an entirely new and different DDO client, which must be installed separately. The Windows client will not run on the Mac OS.
    Last edited by Cordovan; 04-10-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Updated link for Mac client download

The Crafting Mogul
    Hero and Host of DDO Chat

Thumbs up

Sweet! I tested the Lamannia client and was greeted with almost double the FPS I got in Windows natively. I look forward to trying this once it is finished downloading, best Christmas present ever Tolero!
    The Crafting Mogul of Orien!, Yuupppp!! .:. Join The Craze - http://www.ddochat.com
    Proud to be part of what is, sad at the closure of what was, and grateful to have called it home...
    Proudly Canadian, and just providing my $0.02 cents. ($0.025 USD )

Looking forward to this, downloading as we speak

Community Member

Totally excited.

Well be trying it out.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

Question

By 'it's on live servers' do you mean it uses Cannith, Orien, etc.., or some special mac-only server that has the current-live stuff.
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.
    Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu

Bug report form link

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLionxxx View Post
    By 'it's on live servers' do you mean it uses Cannith, Orien, etc.., or some special mac-only server that has the current-live stuff.
    Correct, it's the regular live servers like Cannith, Orien, etc.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Smile If you have all the "regular live servers" available for Macs, then I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Correct, it's the regular live servers like Cannith, Orien, etc.
    I am now VIP because I believe you. Oh yes! I believe there's regular live severs for Macs coming for you and me. Oh yea. mmmmm.
    Hopefully sooner than later.

I am not clear on the hard drive requirements given in the quote below.
    I'm concerned about how much space it will use on my hard drive.
    Does the following quote mean it will use up 500GB of space on the hard drive? That's a lot of space for one program.
    Or are you just saying that you think the size of the hard drive needs to be at least 500GB?
    If it's not going to be used, then why is it needed?
    And how much space on the hard drive does the DDO Mac Beta Client for Live Servers software take up? Sorry, I'm not clear on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    General Requirements

• Note: Power PCs are not supported
    • Storage: 500GB (7200 rpm) hard drive – or – 256GB flash storage
    • Graphics:
      • Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 288MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
      • AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
      • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

13-inch MacBook Pro Specifications

• Processor: 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor w/3MB L3 cache
    • Memory: 4GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
    • Storage: 500GB (5400 rpm) hard drive
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000; NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display Specifications

• Processor: 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor w/6MB shared L3 cache
    • Memory: 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
    • Storage: 256GB flash storage
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000; NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

Mac Mini Specifications

• Storage: 500GB flash storage
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 288MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

iMac Specifications

• Processor: 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    • Memory: 4GB (two 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory
    • Storage: 500GB (7200 rpm) hard drive
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

Quote Originally Posted by Bundle View Post
    And how much space on the hard drive does the DDO Mac Beta Client for Live Servers software take up? Sorry, I'm not clear on this.
    About 9GB is what mine ended up using.

Community Member

On Mac OS 10.8.2 I am getting a message telling me that the app is damaged and should be deleted. But it appears to be related to the Gatekeeper settings again. The app still isn't signed right. To use it on Mac OS 10.8, open the System Preferences, go to the Security panel, unlock the padlock at the bottom-left, and allow your Mac to run apps from anywhere. After you have run the launcher, you can restore the security settings.

Remember devs, to sign an app, every executable piece of code in the package must be signed, and once a package has been signed, nothing can change after that. Even a .DS_Store file added by the Finder after signing will invalidate the package.

I logged in to Orien. Everything I tried worked. The chat text was fine. Voice chat seems to be ok (I was only able to try mic test though). The app consistently produced more than 100 fps -usually more like 130. I ran through Phiarlin and Tangleroot Gorge for my tests. I saw over 400 fps in places, but mostly when staring at uninteresting doorways etc. The graphics are astonishingly smooth compared to my Windows setup, but this is a much faster machine with a retina display (which Open GL is fully exploiting -the text is amazing). It also has an SSD which makes load times very very quick. I think the damage numbers from melee look about right now. I did not test big numbers that my sorc produces though.

I saw two glitches. The control key does not work. I had to put two-fingers on the track pad and click to get a ctrl-click. And the game crashes in the Awesonium framework when you quit the app. But so far that's it. I am going to switch to this client for regular use, provided my mouse and headset work (I have no reason to believe they won't at this point).

Great job!

EDIT: I spoke too soon on a number of these things. 3:00 AM talk. It is not using the Retina display to its full capacity, and I did run into the typing in chat issue again, I will make a new post with some of the things that are going on.
    Last edited by Katie_Seaglen; 12-18-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    On Mac OS 10.8.2 I am getting a message telling me that the app is damaged and should be deleted. But it appears to be related to the Gatekeeper settings again. The app still isn't signed right. To use it on Mac OS 10.8, open the System Preferences, go to the Security panel, unlock the padlock at the bottom-left, and allow your Mac to run apps from anywhere. After you have run the launcher, you can restore the security settings.
    You don't have to go into Preferences. Just hold down Control and click on the app icon, choose Open from the menu and that'll give you the option to bypass Gatekeeper for a single app without asking you again.

Oh and THANK YOU for the Mac client Turbine! Just found out about it today and it makes a great xmas present
    Last edited by PwnHammer40K; 12-25-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Upon installing and opening the .dmg, clicking directly on DNDlauncher came up with the message

"DNDLauncher" is damaged and can't be opened. You should eject the disk image

Moving the launcher to applications came up with the error:

"DNDLauncher" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash

Edit: Never mind, thank you Katie for explaining how to fix.
    Last edited by Relenthe; 12-18-2012 at 02:56 AM.
    Exelin etc, exception Estelix of Elite Raiders, Khyber
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    I often word things in ways that cause the most speculation and panic, because I'm capricious and mean.

Community Member

You made me an happy old man

Just to let others know, I'm currently testing it on an older machine (MBP 13' with 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 and NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB) on Mountain Lion, and can play fine on ultra-high settings with just a minor glitch, being the texts floating over objects (like NPC, collectables, etc) a little blurry (didn't even have this before trying auto-detect option in settings). Nice job devs!

Default Awesome!

This is very good news! I was waiting for a mac client for a very long time.

I'm going to try installing it on my macbook with Snow Leopard (10.6.8). But probably it will make me upgrade my OS and perhaps drop Bootcamp on my Mac

For what its worth, client consistently crashes on launch for me running OS X 10.6.8

Presumably this is to be expected since Turbine is only supporting running under 10.7 and above, but it really is a shame (for me) since on a 27" iMac that I also use as a video/dvd player, I am loathe to give up Front Row, and thus won't be upgrading to 10.7...

In case it's relevant, my system is a first generation 27" iMac, 2.8 GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5750
    Quote Originally Posted by SableShadow View Post
    "Half the party was vomit sprinklers, then the boss rolled in."!
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    I guess that does give new meaning to the term "spawn point."
    Orien Toons: Rahzza TR2 Cleric/25 | Tanytha TR3 Cleric/2 | Khayel TR2 Rogue/25 | Lucindah TR2 Fighter/17

Community Member

Seems to run. Crashes on exit (I saved a crash log). Interacts pathologically with a mouse that happens to be on a Wacom tablet -- it can't mouselook correctly, and does crazy things like always slamming all the way up or down regardless of actual mouse motion.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

Community Member

So it really does work great -just to get that out of the way. But having tested it more thoroughly, here are some of the things that are still going a bit haywire:

1) Typing in various fields will get disabled sometimes. You can't type in chat, in the search fields in bags or the AH for example. Nothing happens when you press the keys. You have to completely quit and restart the app to restore typing. I mention this first because it is the only important show-stopping bug I have seen. Communication with fellow players is important!

2) Floaty damage numbers over mobs heads do not display properly if there are three or more digits involved. My sorc was supposedly hitting things for 1 to 9 points of damage, but those numbers were really in the hundreds and thousands. They showed up correctly in the combat logs, and did the correct damage to mobs -it was just a display error. EDIT: it's actually two or more digits -any damage bigger than 9 will show only the most significant digit.

3) I saw a few flickering tiles here and there, but nothing that distracting. In Overgrowth, there is light coming through windows in the lodge somewhere on the left side as you advance, and i noticed the floor flickering a lot where the light hit it. But things like that were few and far between really.

4) Contrary to what I said before, the retina display is not being used at full capacity. The pixels are doubled and they are very crisply drawn -you can see it pretty easily if you look close. I can live with that of course, but the real reason for bringing this up, is that I can't change the full screen resolution in the graphics options. Nor can I use aliasing. Setting the Windowed resolution worked, but the pixels were always doubled.

5) I can't change the brightness, contrast or gamma. This is an important area for improvement -the game is kind of dark by default and I would like to brighten it up, otherwise I may keep falling into pits of spikes (thanks for letting me know DM).

6) I don't know if you care that much or not, but neither the launcher nor the client will run on Mac OS 10.6. They both have link issues. The client requires a newer version of libcurl than that found on 10.6. I can't remember what the launcher was missing -it tells you when you run it though. I personally think 10.6 support would be really nice to have if it is just a few things that need to be tweaked. A lot of people are still using it, and it was the base OS on some of Apple's still nice equipment -the original unibody MacBook Pros for example.

7) I mentioned earlier that the control key does not work. That only seems to be in conjunction with the trackpad. It works when clicking the mouse. There is a work-around for the track pad (two finger click) so this is not a big deal.

8) I still can't get anything nice to drop in Druid's Deep. Oh wait -maybe that is not a Mac issue. :-)

Love it. Keep up the good work.

EDIT: oh and of course you need to get that app signing sorted out. It's going to throw most people -the Mac is being very uninformative, and in fact quite misleading about what is wrong when the launcher is first run.
    Last edited by Katie_Seaglen; 12-18-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Default Early 2009 17" MacBook Pro

Thank You!

I'm running on an early 2009 17" MacBook Pro...2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Dup, 4 GB 1067 DDR3... NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB... OS C10.8.2 Mountain Lion...L2 Cache: 6 MB

So far I'm seeing pretty much what Katie_Seaglen posted above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    So it really does work great -just to get that out of the way. But having tested it more thoroughly, here are some of the things that are still going a bit haywire:

1) Typing in various fields will get disabled sometimes. .....

3) I saw a few flickering tiles here and there, but nothing that distracting.
    <Also openings in VON3 were just blank white until I stepped through. EEEK>

5) I can't change the brightness, contrast or gamma. This is an important area for improvement -the game is kind of dark by default and I would like to brighten it up, otherwise I may keep falling into pits of spikes (thanks for letting me know DM).
    <Yes, it's very dark. I fell in a lot of holes, got stuck in corners, even more than usual ;-) >

7) I mentioned earlier that the control key does not work. That only seems to be in conjunction with the trackpad. It works when clicking the mouse. There is a work-around for the track pad (two finger click) so this is not a big deal.
    <I didn't try the touch pad yet. The "extra" keys on my A4Tech mouse don't work. I tried installing USB overdrive to no avail. So this is likely a mouse driver problem not a DDO problem>

Love it. Keep up the good work..

I'm also having sound problems. DDO won't recognize my headset/mic combo, only the built in sound.

I'm so happy! I actually am Really looking forward to reformatting my hard drive with a much smaller Boot Camp partition.

If I look on the crash log I wonder:
    Can it be that Awesonium has a problem with ARC (Automatic Reference Counting) ?

For the game:
    - Client wont take any keyboard input.
    That means interaction with other player oder entering anything, starting with a char name, is not possible with this build. I was able to create chars using cut and past. Interestingly the game use for past ctrl + v instead of Apple + v. That would mean the game bypasses the OS for dealing with the keyboard. Very bad idea.

- Ingame DDO Store is slow as hell.
    Why not simply use a web view in this place. Surely what faster then Awesuckium.

Beside of this, the client looks very promising.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Codebaker View Post
    Why not simply use a web view in this place.
    If you are displaying HTML pages, a UIWebView would be a much better choice. But this does depend on the context in which you are trying to use it of course. Do give it a look if you have the time.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast