Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terrible News

Quote Originally Posted by Expalphalog View Post

Disney also owns Marvel. Iron Man, Thor, Avengers were all Disney films. They also owned Miramax. Scream, Clerks, and Pulp Fiction were all Disney films.

So I do think that Disney owning Lucas could be a really good thing for Star Wars movies.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo
    Proud member of the HighLords of Malkier

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Agreed.

Do you really think Disney will go for any lightsaber dismembering? Do not remember any pirates getting limbs cut off or cut in half in Pirates - let alone beheading.

Not to mention Lucas will not even be writing or directing these new abominations!
    Dismemberment? No. But they did have rotting corpses walking around terrorizing people.
    Officer - Eternal Wrath
    Burne Level 20 Human Paladin
    Sarlona

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Disney also owns Touchstone Pictures and has an ongoing deal with Jerry Bruckheimer......

Not worried about the Star Wars franchise at all here....
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

This franchise had no integrity left when Disney bought it. The prequels are abortions and I'm embarrassed for anyone who still clings to these movies.
    scrollfu! meowfu! +4fu! firstyfu!
    Maarl de Gutter (ret.) ~ Gnaaarl de Mutter (ret.) ~ Nineinch Rails (ret.)
    Intragreenis Druid - Human FvS [x2] Evoker ~ Guttural de Chanter - Elf Wiz [x4] PM
    Potpourri de Foo Foo - WF Wiz [Sx3][FvSx3][Wx3] Shiradi

The part that worries me is what direction Episode 7 will take. There's already a healthy amount of material in the Expanded Universe from the novels, games, and other source material that expand on stories set after the movies. Regardless of if you like the EU or not, it is generally enjoyed by the fan base.

Lucas has gone on record as saying that while he's signed off on the EU, none of those stories what he would have done. If Disney goes along with his vision, then the EU as we now know it will be invalidated and will end. Any future novels set in the Star Wars universe will end up going off of the new Disney movies.

This has the potential to end the past twenty years worth of material that has been released and enjoyed by millions.

Then there's the little part about Disney and their extreme control of any IP's and imagery. Fan films, the 501st, and anything along these lines could be in for a world of hurt.

A New Hope?

Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Ah no! Disney bought Star Wars, its so bad as Disney buying Marvel... oh wait.

To be honest i trust more Disney than Lucas, George gives us Evoks, Jar Jar, emo Anakin and horrible animated serie.
    It couldnt be worse.

In the same time:
    Disney handles quite well Marvel world, there is several movies, and i know on several in production. Most of them are good shows, welcome by community.
    Disney animation is generally good, even if its "for kids" its still quite wise.
    John Carter was quite nice movie as well.

To sum up... it may be a good time for Star Wars, at least there will be some movies, which already is better than what George can do.

Also now its official: Force is a mutacion.:-p
    Last edited by licho; 10-31-2012 at 12:23 PM.

It will be a talking mermaid and a crab.
    Hendrik, you're such a noob.

It'll be a singing, dancing crab that is uncertain of itself, but aspires to be in show business some day.

Seriously. Get it right.

Yeah, I'm going with:

1. They've already screwed up the brand pretty badly. Episodes 1-3 top the list of atrocities, but there's plenty more.

2. Disney's just another studio these days. It's not some exclusively children's entertainment outfit. Being sold to Disney is neither better or worse than being sold to any other major studio.
    Gildus, Yhvain, Sabathiel, Einion

Cannith, GOCI
    Be Chill, have fun

I guess another way to look at this is:

Lucas does not sell. And then? No and then. And THEN? No and then. Dude, where's my Star Wars?

It was dying and was dead at Lucas. He was done and done(long before this). He could have sold to Troma Entertainment and I would care no more or less.

Community Member TheHolyDarkness's Avatar

Terrible news?

I'm just happy to learn that its out of Lucas' hands now! Thank god!

And why not Disney? They're more than consistently competent at storytelling. No way a Disney star wars story would be full of it. Maybe down a rating but hey, Lion King. Nuff said.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~
    "A man can remake the entire world, if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."

I think lucas films being sold is a godsend. Cause their movies theyve been putting out just flippn suck.

I mean they had their think back in the 70's and 80's. they brought us the real star wars, and indiana jones. Willow, labyrinth, I think the first land before time, and a couple others.

What did they do in the 90's and up? They brought us the new star wars which just sucked on so many levels not even the actors I liked could save er. God I can't believe they got that reject of an emo as anakin. They created a rather disappointing Indiana Jones 4. Oh and they gave us another movie about racial profiling back in old war days. Like theirs not a thousand and one of those already everywhere. Most of which were a great deal better. I really think cuba's time is done as well.

So now Disney has it and they're taking their shot at the star wars universe coming out with star wars 7. Which prolly won't matter as we're all gonna go up in a fiery hell storm in about... a month and a half I think. So i suppose thats ok news for star wars fans not having to see any more future butchering.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHolyDarkness View Post
    Terrible news?

I'm just happy to learn that its out of Lucas' hands now! Thank god!

And why not Disney? They're more than consistently competent at storytelling. No way a Disney star wars story would be full of it. Maybe down a rating but hey, Lion King. Nuff said.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~
    Actually you mentioning Lion King is worthy of note, it got me thinking, which of these were better than Episode 1-3?

Wall-E? Check
    Monsters Inc.? Double check
    The Incredibles? Check

And as mentioned, many of the movies during 17 years of them owning Miramax? Check
    The Avengers? Check.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalmor View Post
    This just in Disney buys Lucasfilm

http://ca.movies.yahoo.com/news/disn...--finance.html

I feel like hurling!!!

Couldn't he have sold it to Paramount or WB or some other studio, but not Disney.
    At Least Lucas can't mess up another film like the last 3... and the series will go on.
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

Community Member TheHolyDarkness's Avatar

Default Finally. Competence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    Actually you mentioning Lion King is worthy of note, it got me thinking, which of these were better than Episode 1-3?

Wall-E? Check
    Monsters Inc.? Double check
    The Incredibles? Check

And as mentioned, many of the movies during 17 years of them owning Miramax? Check
    The Avengers? Check.
    Yeah, like I'm saying, thank god for this Disney buyout!

Disney don't pander. Sure, they're stuff marketed to kids, but as an adult, when was the last time I've seen a Disney film make me want to hurl?

Can't think of it. Its kinda like MLP. Sure its wholesome, but more importantly its GOOD and wholesome, without an ounce of annoying.

You want this grown ass man to watch Beauty and the Beast? Aladdin? Pirates of the Caribbean? Hell yeah pop those classics in sucka!

Now then, when I think of the child pandering in Episodes 1-3 (Jar Jar Binks, kid Anakin and Weedo, "Younglings", that dumb as hell "love scenes" in Episode II, again, "younglings").

Oh lord. Keep that **** away from me. And keep your Indy 4 and racial pandering Red Wings or whatever its called while you at it.

So I say, let Disney direct Star Wars from now on. For the love of cinema!

~Out~
    Last edited by TheHolyDarkness; 10-31-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    "A man can remake the entire world, if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."

Really think the next 3 will be any better then Ep. 1,2, 3? They will be pasteurized, homogenized, Disnified, and made all cute and cuddly for the Disney Market.
    The books get dark as hell after return of the Jedi and Im not sure they could change it to even the regular SW made-for-12-year-olds-movies like the first 6 were, Disney or no Disney.

Thats why I think it will be hilarious to see what Disney Lucas films interpretation of Luke joining the darkside, killing millions of people, and then being brought back to the good side by Leia. It gets even better when Han and Leia's son turns darkside and his sister kills him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Doesnt surprise me that the two biggest copyrighters of everyone elses ages old ideas should be corporate bedfellows. Kind of odd how cultural traditions and wives tales of the 1400s-1800s can become the property of someone who had no hand in creating them, but became the largest distributor of those ideas in the 1900s. Now all they have to do is have Lars Ulrich produce all theme music for all motion pictures and the deal will be complete.
    **** I dont participate in the Rep system much and if I had the ability id +1 this times a million Chai
    Lost Legions Officer and Resident Diva! *Welp now I'm a Twitch Streamer* Follow me on Twitter @Kalarigamerchic

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Doesnt surprise me that the two biggest copyrighters of everyone elses ages old ideas should be corporate bedfellows. Kind of odd how cultural traditions and wives tales of the 1400s-1800s can become the property of someone who had no hand in creating them, but became the largest distributor of those ideas in the 1900s. Now all they have to do is have Lars Ulrich produce all theme music for all motion pictures and the deal will be complete.
    Id +1 ya but aparently i gota spread it around more..

Its funny isnt it how they were allowed to trademark certain things, I mean if you go to germany black forest region, lithuania, romania, hungary and many other places in middle europe you will find actual historical documents that bear striking reseblance to many of disneys stories and characters.

Good ol prince charming.. he shows up in a lot of different fairy tales, with a different woman each time I might add. Its worth noting that in the orignal tale from gemany the glass slipper was a fur slipper... yeh you can take that metaphore places a glass slipper would never go!

edit: of course our beloved d&d is also guilty.. they trade marked the term 'frenzied berzerker'.
    A little history on those words:
    berzerker comes from the norse "bjoer sark" literaly meaning skin of the bear, (note spelling may vary regionaly and was orignaly in a different alphabet.)
    frenzy comes from the norse word "fenri" who was a great wolf of norse legend, considered by some to be a god and one of the sons of loki. Taken as a 'tribe mascot'/house god by some.

Now I know through tracing back my family tree (fathers/fathers.. line) that I can trace my origins back to 'berzerkers'... and i like wolves... can they realy trade mark my family history? aparently yes.

The lesson here in both cases is that its the government offices who control copyright, trademark and patents that should be broguht to order - and when any of these goes international the implications need to be examined from EVERY countires perspective.
    Last edited by bigolbear; 10-31-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    Ex Euro player from devourer: Charaters on orien(Officer of Under Estimated & Nightfox): Wrothgar, Cobolt, Shadeweaver, TheMetal, Metaphysical, Allfred, Razortusk and many more.
    stuff by me: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...02#post4938302

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    ... some senile old crank who is too insecure in his early life successes that he has continued to tinker with them endlessly in his old age.
    What does Ridley Scott have to do with this?

BA-ZING!
    Bronies: For those who get it, no explanation is needed; for those who don't, none will do.

Default Reasons?

I guess that George Lucas must have received a really dire diagnosis...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast