Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Replace the word "driving" with "playing DDO" and you have Cannith. No one wants to "learn" from maniacs or try to teach "idiots."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkxaF5Pq5D8

-----

Anyways the OP is complaining about a people problem, not a DDO problem. It isn't fun to teach some stranger how to play a game like DDO. This isn't brain surgery. Problem? You can literally use magic to solve it. As with just about everything in life, critical thinking, creativity, and experience are the easiest way to the top. Asking new players to obey veterans just creates problems - asking veteran players to stop being so repugnant that new players can stand to be in the same group for more than 30 seconds would be a better solution.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nicnivyn View Post
    I'm going to explain in a way that probably totally shows I'm a girl, but whatever.

More than knowledge, more than skill, what you need to encourage people to listen and learn is to have the heart of a teacher.

Someone with the heart of a teacher has a love for what they are doing, and brings joy and humor to the process. They laugh at themselves and with others, not at them. They take set-backs in stride, and coach them in terms of just another way of NOT doing things, rather than placing blame for failure.

School is a good example. If you have a teacher who has flawless technical knowledge, but who is jaded and hates what they do the students will hate being there. They will learn almost nothing, because the teacher's attitude shows they place no value in what they are imparting.

If you have a teacher who genuinely enjoys their subject, and imparts their knowledge with joy - students remember, and they learn more. They embrace what they're being taught. Maybe not all, because you'll always have malcontents (ie: players who don't want advice and/or refuse to listen), but certainly most.

I would say in my experience - and I run and teach a LOT of PUG groups - 90% of the new people I lead want to learn, and enjoy the experience. They make mistakes, but patience and forbearance turn what could be an ugly and unpleasant run into one they remember fondly.

YMMV
    Right, in the end is about enjoying the experience, having fun togheter, sharing a hobby. Is not like we are going to set up an academy or something like that but if during your gaming experience you are willing to share tips, knowledge, time, etc then it should be rewarding.

TYVM

I bought a guest pass for a new player level 19, adventurer, two weeks ago.

Shavarath, and tour guided their character all the explorers and we killed most of the monsters in the instance in less than an hour. Then we parted ways and I logged out. I'll bet this was used to level the character to 20 with the two remaining hours left in the pack. I felt warm and fuzzy about it.
    Last edited by Zorth; 08-24-2012 at 01:00 AM.
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCrumb View Post
    So basically the OP is stating that Agordmils is totes a bully

You rang?

(insert bad rang / wrang pun here)
    Gordy - A Tribe Called Zerg - Cannith
    Agordmil - Agordmils - Byoh - Crocodylia - Schrödingers - MooseAlert - Zufallig - Mooselicker
    Solo ToD (Arcane) no pots preMotu

I blame Templar... Full of elitist jerks.
    Snarfity snarfly snarf.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nicnivyn View Post
    Most new (and old!) player angst I've seen directed at guilds like Zerg are caused by simple non-communication. Those people don't know what the players of those sorts of guilds are about, and when they run with them it is a rude and unpleasant surprise. Better understanding, I think, is the key to harmony.
    This.

It's not so much teaching, but rather communicating and coordinating. Most challenging content has a multitude of potentially effective strategies for completion. Six (or twelve) players soloing in a group is rarely the most effective method of completion, except when running content that isn't particularly challenging.

And yeah, I realize there are folks who will counter with the argument that the game as a whole is ezmode and the noobs will eventually adapt and learn to keep up. But a random sampling of LFM postings will likely paint a different picture (e.g. several "EH, ip" runs posted and zero "EE"s)
    Last edited by Dingleburr; 08-28-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCrumb View Post
    and that Zealotry has a soothing voice.
    It is soothing, isn't it?

Anyway, teaching someone who wants to learn more about the game is an awesome feeling. It really is.

And I generally don't mind going a bit slower so that someone can learn...unless they start doing stuff like wandering off/grabbing quest items etc etc...

But often people either don't want to learn at all or are just incredibly slow, to the point where it isn't worth it.

Or assume when you are trying to help them that you are just making fun of them or trying to make yourself look better in comparision. Ie, 144hp level 16 rogue starts swearing at ya when you suggest a con/gfl item, pure fvs with 1900sp, etc.

I don't really go out of my way to help people with builds anymore because most people react negatively/defensively no matter how gently you approach the subject.

Perhaps sandwich method of feedback is best

"I really like how you are weilding a holy khopesh. That is a great weapon choice. But, you should probably get a con item so you survive longer in combat. Nice work taking down that kobold, great dps!"

Or something equally warm and non-confrontational.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRMechMan View Post
    The sandwich method is really good. I used to apply it (in work related enviroments) quite often and it did help a lot.

I had totally forgotten about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSilence View Post
    The sandwich method is really good. I used to apply it (in work related enviroments) quite often and it did help a lot.

I had totally forgotten about it.
    I usually apply it in lunch related environments.

"I really like how you are weilding a holy khopesh. That is a great weapon choice. But, you should probably get a con item so you survive longer in combat. Nice work taking down that kobold, great dps!"

I did try it man! but the other guy just cursed me and dropped the group:
    "I love it how your negative hp, when your die, is higher than your max hp. its pretty awesome."
    Server: Cannith
    Mains: Miahoo, Miahoorog, Miahoohealer, Miahoohjeal, Miahoopuke

I usually apply it in lunch related environments.
    Honestly, I was totally thinking about something else... but nvm, kids are watching...
    Server: Cannith
    Mains: Miahoo, Miahoorog, Miahoohealer, Miahoohjeal, Miahoopuke

Anyway, teaching someone who wants to learn more about the game is an awesome feeling. It really is.

And I generally don't mind going a bit slower so that someone can learn...unless they start doing stuff like wandering off/grabbing quest items etc etc...

But often people either don't want to learn at all or are just incredibly slow, to the point where it isn't worth it.

Or assume when you are trying to help them that you are just making fun of them or trying to make yourself look better in comparision. Ie, 144hp level 16 rogue starts swearing at ya when you suggest a con/gfl item, pure fvs with 1900sp, etc.

I don't really go out of my way to help people with builds anymore because most people react negatively/defensively no matter how gently you approach the subject.

The few times I've grouped with you or most from Zerg, or any other high level TR, is an awesome learning experience because it gives me the time to learn the quest thoroughly. Strategy, areas to avoid, points of intrest, etc...Helping without piking, but not going too fast so I dont pick up on the tecnique. TY

Teacher with benefits, nice work if you can get it!

Now if you had done this for some random n00b I might be impressed. Last n00b/recruit I spent hours teaching them cursed crypt so they could grind for a DoD, then I popped one in the chest and gave it to him, left a week later and never even said thanks. You do that two or three or more times, and I have, you get a little cynical like me. Ok, alot cynical!

grats on the girlfriend though, brown chicken - brown cow!
    Dex (HU) - Pal 14 TR2 || Grue (DF) - Monk 12
    Dux (DR) - Bard 18 || Dox (HU) - Cleric 20
    Dax (HU) - Fighter 15 || Tyrael (HU) - FvS 13
    Broken Alliance

Talking

very well put!

Quote Originally Posted by loki_3369 View Post
    I blame Templar... Full of elitist jerks.
    I too, blame Templar. For the same elitist jerks reason.

Soaked/Soaking/Zecks/Zeckshealer - Cannith
    Soaked's build

Community Member

FYI, you do not have to be an elitistic jerk to be considered good. I used to pug alot and all i can say is that there used to be alot of good players (general gamers) making pugs fun. Almost all of them are gone now...i wonder why.

Pyreal af Templar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12