Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Arrow +3/+4/+5 Tome tracker/drop locations guide

This guide is the combined efforts of hundreds of players, and also has includes developer confirmation on many aspects of the tome distribution, thus should be very accurate. There are however often anomalies in this game, so if you find something that you can prove and doesn't mesh with the data here, please reply and I'll try to keep this as up to date as possible.

Recent Developer confirmation:
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun
    Previous (~U14):
    Both. They're in random loot in very high level tables, right where you'd expect to see them given the interval between +1, +2, and +3 tomes- they continue that same pattern.
    -----
    Recent (U16):
    In Update 16, which is currently on Lamannia, +3 tomes appear in level 23-26 treasure, and +4 tomes appear in level 27+ treasure.
    -----
    Droprates:
    Currently on Live (Edit: Referring to U15), every item generated in a chest has a 1 in 434 chance of being an ability score tome.
    In Update 16, those odds are increased to 1 in 333.
    The new Upgrade tomes will be a sizable percentage of all ability tome drops- for example, when a +4 tome would drop, it will instead have a 25% chance of being a +4 to +5 upgrade tome.

Same goes for +3 tomes (which will drop in treasure chests of level 23-26): 25% of them will be a +3 to +4 upgrade tome.
    Current loot levels for unbound tomes in random treasure:
    +1 = 8
    +2 = 15
    +3 = 23
    +4 = 27+
    +5 = +5 do not exist in loot tables currently, as the maximum table is 31, which still only contains +4s.

In addition, bound to account upgrade tomes can now drop as of U16. They drop in the same levels as the regular tomes, at lower rate (25% of the normal chance), and offer a +1 upgrade over what youd normally get. You must have a matching upgrade tome for an already used ability tome to use it.
    Loot levels:
    15 - 22: +2 to +3 upgrade tomes
    23 - 26: +3 to +4 upgrade tomes
    27 - 31: +4 to +5 upgrade tomes
    In addition, anywhere a +2/3/4 tome would previously drop, can now drop the upgrade versions. Even non standard loot table areas like raids which offer BTC tomes. The upgrade tomes will always be BTA also, regardless of source.

Loot lvl27 in a regular quest without loot bonuses is not currently possible. Though you can hit this level of loot in EE Caught in the Web Raid (lvl27) and by using various loot boost such as:
    - +1/+2 Loot Jewels (From Eberron Shards or DDO Store)
    - +1 from Treasure Maps (Found in Three Barrel Cove end rewards and some chests)
    - +1 from a chest blesser (Common name for a player character who has the feat: Greater Dragonmark of Finding)
    - +1 to 3 from a global loot bonus (Turbine occasionally enables these, usually on weekends)

Note: There are reports showing that the Dragonmark of Finding may not be functional currently. The other boost are confirmed to function on most chests, but not end rewards.

* While in 99.9% of cases quest level = loot level, it seems some lvl22 quests consistently have +2s, while others have +3s. The developers can set plus or minus bonuses to individual chests, so this is likely the case, however they very rarely do. Some known cases:
    - Any "Epic!" non-raid chest (Ebberon only content), most/all of these are set to +1 loot
    - VoN2 and Lords of Dust has +1 loot for all it's chests (Confirmed +3 tomes in lvl22 EH versions)
    - VoN6 sidechest - not the epic chest, appears to be at least loot level27+ on all epic difficulties
    - Most Epic Raid end rewards are at least +1 loot
    - Most "Solo" difficulty quests are at least -2 loot
    - Casual difficulty is listed as -1 loot level. Not confirmed if this is in addition to the fact the actual quest level is reduced or not.

Note: These level ranges have been verified via many reports post U14. So to disprove the above range, please post a screenshot of a chest - not end reward, and include the xp report for quest lvl. No further reports of +3 tomes in lvl23+ chests are necessary, it's safe to say its 100% confirmed at this point.

Anyways onto the guide for the static, non loot table related drops (AKA Bonus loot - EG you can get one of these tomes in addition to any random loot that will appear, and any loot bonuses will have no affect on these drops):

+3 BTC Tomes:
    - The Reavers Fate (Any difficulty, and 20ths end reward)
    - VoD/HoX (Hard and Elite only, and 20ths end reward)
    - Abbot (Any difficulty, and 20ths end reward)
    - Shroud (End reward only. Non 20th: Ultra rare. 20th: All 6 tomes will appear at in at least +2 variety, decent chance of each being replaced with +3s instead.)

+3 BTA Tomes
    - Zawabis Revenge aka DQ2 Epic Chest (Epic difficulties only, not end reward*)

+3 Unbound Tomes:
    - Random treasure lvl22-31.
    - During Festivult, the Jester of Festivult has an extremely small chance of rewarding you an unbound one for a gold coin.

+4 BTC Tomes from Raids:
    - Tower of Despair End chest and Suulo optional chest (BTC, Any difficulty)
    --- Additionally its 20th end reward has a small chance of having one.
    - Plane of Night aka VoN6 Epic Chest (BTC, Epic difficulties only, not end reward*)
    - Zawabis Revenge aka DQ2 Epic Chest (BTC, Epic difficulties only, not end reward*)

*End reward on any epic difficulty can contain +3 unbound tomes tho only for non 20th. 20ths still sadly, reward +2 BTC.

+4 Unbound Tomes from Bonus Loot:
    Post U14 Epic Raids:
    - Caught in the Web (EN and EH, all chests. EE has a very small chance at +5 BTC.)
    --- Additionally its 20th end reward has a small chance of having one. Reports indicate the 20th reward version is BTC.
    - The Fall of Truth (EN and EH, large raidloot chest only. EE has a very small chance at +5 BTC in the main chest, the side chests can drop random +4s on EE since it's level27.)
    --- Additionally its 20th end reward has a small chance of having one. Reports indicate the 20th reward version is BTC.
    Forgotten Realms Epic Elite Quests:
    Note: These only drop on epic elite as "bonus loot" - not loot table drops, for all of these quests. Being separate bonus loot, they are not affected by loot bonuses, and can't appear while ransacked.
    - Impossible Demands - Saving all the prisoners chest (very hard to get on EE)
    - Unquiet Graves - End chest
    - Battle for Eveningstar - End chest
    - Don't Drink the Water - End chest
    - House of Broken Chains - Draegloth matron optional chest
    - House of Rusted Blades - Matron and Priestess optional chests
    - House of Death Undone - Matron optional chest
    - The Portal Opens - Slavemaster optional chest
    - Trial By Fury - Shufarix and End chests
    --- Likely all chests in this quest can drop them, the others are unconfirmed for now though.
    - Deal and the Demon - Secret spider side chest and end chest
    U15 Quests (Druids Deep Pack):
    - Any chest on EE
    U16 Quests (High Road Pack)
    - Any chest on EE
    U17 Quests (Epic Gianthold)
    - None confirmed yet

Other:
    - During Festivult, the Jester of Festivult has an extremely small chance of rewarding you an unbound one for a gold coin.

+5 Tomes:
    - Ultra rare drop in Epic Elite Lolth and FoT Raids only. Only 1 known pull so far. Binds to Character.

Let me know what you guys find. Please include screenshots and details on loot boost active (if any), if possible.
    If you like this guide, don't forget to rate it 5 stars.
    Last edited by Shade; 03-16-2013 at 05:00 AM. Reason: EG update (U17)

Community Member

Didn't think to screenshot it but got an unbound +3 wis tome from epic hard Von 3 end reward. No idea
    what loot level that is but I had no gems running (I assume they don't effect end rewards anyhow though).

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

no, I dont have Screenshots, but I've had guildies pull +4 Unbound Tomes in the new stuff and they were NOT on Epic Elite. Deal with the Demon scored one a +4 CHR and another guildy pulled not one but 2 +4 Dex tomes so far....

Perhaps they had Loot gems going......

Also, BTC +4 tomes do still drop in the Sulo chest in "Devil you Know"
    Last edited by Impaqt; 08-08-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    no, I dont have Screenshots, but I've had guildies pull +4 Unbound Tomes in the new stuff and they were NOT on Epic Elite. Deal with the Demon scored one a +4 CHR and another guildy pulled not one but 2 +4 Dex tomes so far....

Perhaps they had Loot gems going......

Also, BTC +4 tomes do still drop in the Sulo chest in "Devil you Know"
    ToD added.

other stuff - far too vague and conflicts with all reports and developer response.

Deal and the Demon, what chest?
    Last edited by Shade; 08-08-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Community Member krackythehoodedone's Avatar

I pulled an unbound +3 Str tome as an end reward to an EH Von 6 run last week.

Nothing to up loot was running that i know of

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    ToD added.

other stuff - far too vague and conflicts with all reports and developer response.
    Does not conflict at all' Heres what FoS said. in regards to +4 Tomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post

Both. They're in random loot in very high level tables, right where you'd expect to see them given the interval between +1, +2, and +3 tomes- they continue that same pattern.
    Then they're also in Forgotten Realms non-raid quests on Epic Elite difficulty as bonus treasure that will occasionally appear.
    +4 tomes are in the raid, Caught in the Web, on any difficulty, while Epic Elite also has [REDACTED], which I'm sure many of you have already guessed.
    He quite clearly states that +4 tomes are in his loot tables. and there are EXTRA/BONUS chances to see them on Epic Elite difficulties. We can all assume he "REDACTED" +5 Tomes and I would assume those would be exclusively EPic Elite.

Deal and the Demon, what chest?
    Wasnt with him, but he linked it in guild chat. Unbound +4 CHR Tome. He had just finished the quest (Epic Hard) when he linked it so I assume it was the end chest.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Was awarded +3 unbound dex tome from Epic Normal VON3 in the end reward.

Another unbound +3 dex tome from Dun'robar Epic Hard, end reward also.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Does not conflict at all' Heres what FoS said. in regards to +4 Tomes.

He quite clearly states that +4 tomes are in his loot tables. and there are EXTRA/BONUS chances to see them on Epic Elite difficulties. We can all assume he "REDACTED" +5 Tomes and I would assume those would be exclusively EPic Elite.
    He was also clear that the progression follows the standard curve. EG : +4 tomes may appear in loot table lvl 31.

Deal and the Demon on EH does not have loot table lvl 31.

The redacted part, was specificly refering to Caught in the Web on EE.. Read his post more carefully.

So some random info, from a friend of a friend, linked from somewhere, or something, maybe, perhaps.. isn't going to make the guide atm. Screenshot or it didnt happen for impossible sounding things such as that.
    Last edited by Shade; 08-08-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

He was also clear that the progression follows the standard curve. EG : +4 tomes may appear in loot table lvl 31.
    I havent seen any dev confirm your assumed chart of tome drops levels.

Deal and the Demon on EH does not have loot table lvl 31.
    and yet I know +4 tomes have dropped there.

The redacted part, was specificly refering to Caught in the Web on EE.. Read his post more carefully.
    where exactly did what I said conflict with this statement?

So some random info, from a friend of a friend, linked from somewhere, or something, maybe, perhaps.. isn't going to make the guide atm. Screenshot or it didnt happen for impossible sounding things such as that.
    blah blah blah. Unbound +4 tomes are indeed dropping outside of Epic Elite.
    Thelanis

Sev~

What is the source of this fact? I have never seen a dev mention what the level progression of tomes is in the loot table, apparently you have seen a post about this, could I get a link?

Impaqt mentions, deal and the demon on hard, so level 24, maybe a loot gem going to 25/26. The progression may not be what you think it is.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Vordax View Post
    What is the source of this fact? I have never seen a dev mention what the level progression of tomes is in the loot table, apparently you have seen a post about this, could I get a link?

Impaqt mentions, deal and the demon on hard, so level 24, maybe a loot gem going to 25/26. The progression may not be what you think it is.
    Pretty sure it was during the +2 loot boost as well. SO 27/28 maybe.
    Thelanis

Sev~

Hey Shade.

Unbound +3 WIS tome, end reward for NORMAL EVoN3 reward.

Yeah, normal..

I'm pretty sure that +3 unbound can be in the end rewards list for any epic quest. I got a +3 str in my end rewards for one of the Faerun quests (been too long to remember for sure, but I know it was out there).

I know I have received +1s before level 7 as well, on non-loot boost weekends, and I don't use loot boost items at all.

Pretty sure the level ranges you are using are not wholly accurate.
    Argonnessen

Nyess Malwyss Daireann Tylesia Shideh

Maybe the tracker is bugged?

Also, the majority of +2s that I have received in my DDO life, have been via Von 3's end reward. Even on elite, and even if the end rewards were based off of what setting you completed the quest on back when I received these, it would still not add up to 15+.
    Argonnessen

Nyess Malwyss Daireann Tylesia Shideh

can add The Shroud +3 BTC as 20th end reward

Community Member

I got an unbound +3 str tome as end reward for one of the underdark house quests (sorry, don't remember which one) ran on EH.
    I got an unbound +3 int tome in von 4EH end chest

also - +2/3 bound tomes in shroud 20th to add to your list

Your level guide is wrong. +2s do not drop in Gianthold Elite walkups without a gem, I've had +1s in Trial By Fire elite farming (and I don't run that quest enough times to hit ransack penalties because I get bored of it before then).

OTOH +2s drop in elite Orchard now (since U12 actually), so I'm confident that 16 is the cutoff point.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

Found some unbound +4 tomes in the xpack, and for a while I kept it a semi secret about where to find, .
    Why did you keep "it a semi secret"?

Were you afraid that if other people looted them the supply might get exhausted?
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast