Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

I actually tried that patch on 1.5.16 without luck

but since wine 1.5.17 and DDO U16 I can't get DDO to work at all, patcher and client is dead so I'm away from DDO atm

Thank you very much for this contribution.
    My next build (computer) will be towards linux (ubuntu). More/better hardware, better os.
    Been running ddo on win7 x64 now, and it runs. If you don't mind dx9. :-(

How's the support for graphics cards in linux nowadays?
    Should i wait untill the patch for wine will be rolled out?

I guess i'll first test your build on a vm and see what comes up.
    Anyway, many thx for the great work!!
    Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon or stars.
    -Confusius-
    Rewo Kalatrian / Paladin(6)

Community Member

Wine 1.5.18 is supposed to make DDO work again. In fact, I saw it on a buddy's Linux Mint laptop today.

All he did was install 1.5.18, then run the DDO installer from wine. Some time later, we were looking at the character select screen. I will be trying it tonight.

Just tried this on my work Linux desktop.

Works as advertise

Loads faster ... no lag ... graphics and sound as normal but only tested for a couple of minutes as I'm at work.

I'll try on my linux desktop at home tonight.

Fun times.
    Flashious, Slashious, Bashious, Delushous, SifuTam Toustious, Sneakious
    Officer - Templar - Cannith

Community Member

1.5.18 works. except the store, can't use that since the browser change. sucks to miss all those sales

if at least i could open the store on a win vm

I have now set this up on my work Linux machine - Linux Mint and at home - Ubuntu Precise.

I played for 2 hours last night.. It ran faultlessly. No Lag. In Shadow Crypt, no rubber banding in the maze. Dungeon alert Red .. no lag issues.

It loads faster and looks looks exactly like the windows version. Zero downside .. many upsides so far.

One problem is my logitech mouse does not have a native linux client. There are work arounds for this but a bit of a pain. I am missing 1 button that I had mapped on my windows install. I can live with this if it means no lag.

Still work in progress but so far it looks good.
    Flashious, Slashious, Bashious, Delushous, SifuTam Toustious, Sneakious
    Officer - Templar - Cannith

Community Member

Default From Scratch

Has anyone done a successful install from scratch on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit?
    The installer wont even run for me... I might have to install DDO on my Windows VM then move the files it sounds like... But I would rather install it straight from scratch on Ubuntu...

I've got wine 1.5.20 installed. Basic Ubuntu 12.04 64bit install. Corei7 Quad core CPU, 8G of RAM, NVIDIA video card with the 310 drivers.

EDIT: forgot to mention, when I try to launch the installer I get...
    Code:
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 10 addr 0x7278b6

Community Member

I had a go at this a few months ago and eventually gave up trying to just get the Ubuntu install working with my Nvidia GTX580. Had all sorts of issues with windows not coming to the foreground and preventing any typing or mouse clicking. DDO did work very nicely though.

Since then I managed to fix the issue in Windows by disabling DX10/11 and forcing DX9 (which I believe is what Wine runs anyway) so this may help someone if you're not really interested in going the Linux route :

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=398993

Its a shame I had all the issues with Ubuntu or I might have started using it as my primary OS

The only thing that keeps me from Linux as my main OS is new games. Everything is built for freakin winblows and I hate waiting for someone to do the work to get them to run on Linux.

Clearly I need to upgrade my main PC from a core duo to something with at least four cores, so I will have enough cores to allocated to run a Mint VM when I want to play DDO...

I'm surprised there hasn't been a dev commenting in here, even if just to say 'noted' - I mean if some of you folks are seeing noticeable lag improvements by switching to an unsupported OS, that suggests that there is an issue with the way the client interacts with the supported OS, i.e. Windows.

I think I might PM the major to draw his attention to it. Something for the geekier* members of his testing crew to get their teeth stuck into next time they get a 'work on what you want week' (because magical, magical things happen during those weeks).

*edit: meant as a compliment.
    Last edited by dunklezhan; 02-02-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12