The Hatchery

Default Turbine: Must Everything be BtC?

From items to commendations to challenge mats to Flawless Green Dragon Scales, EVERYTHING is BtC (unless it's a named item from a chest. In which case, it's BtC on Equip).

Why did you do this? Did you not learn from the Cannith Challenge materials? BtC is just obnoxious, pointless, and inconvenient. Please give me one reason why things shouldn't be BtA at least.

"Hey, GoodFriend-MKIII #09, we could use a healer for this Epic Elite 'Don't Drink the Water'. Want to come?"

"No, sorry, I need scales on my wizard."

Please change this. Or if you don't, can you tell me which dev decided this? Where they live? Some of their fears?

Thanks.

Community Member

FGDS aren't meant to be BtC, stated by a Dev.

Community Member

I still stand by the statement that everything should be either unbound, bound to account, or bound to account on acquire, bound to character on equip. There are numerous quests/raids in the game that I won't ever take certain characters into because there is nothing in there I want for them and everything that comes out of them is BtC. One of the biggest reasons that shroud is so popular, aside from the power level of the gear, is that you can run the raid on any character to get your ingredients, pass said ingredients to the character that needs them, and then make your item on that character. I do not understand why a similar system isn't used in the rest of the game.

Yeah it's a joke right now.

While I can understand BtC items in some specific cases ( Greensteel, Dragontouched and such ), BtC challenge stuff just kill the will to do the challenges. ( as the rewards tokens [ not the items ] are BtC i just do the new challenges once for the XP fest and then trash the reward tokens )

And having a BtC on aquire, BtC on equip named item drop in a chesti just a bit overkill, either it's BtA on acquire and BtC on equip or it's BtC on Acquire, but there's no point in having both kind of BtC on a single item.
    ( a Ring from the first quest in the Drow City )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    And having a BtC on aquire, BtC on equip named item drop in a chesti just a bit overkill, either it's BtA on acquire and BtC on equip or it's BtC on Acquire, but there's no point in having both kind of BtC on a single item.
    ( a Ring from the first quest in the Drow City )
    It has also been stated by a dev that the BtCoA & BtCoE seal is a bug and will be fixed to BtCoE.
    It's not even hard to find since it's the second link in the dev tracker when I write this message...

He was talking about only one of the seals, but it will probably be fixed for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bargol View Post
    Anyone understand why this ring binds on equip and also binds on acquire? Maybe 2 devs were fighting about it and both got their way?
    Bug, fixed in the upcoming Patch 1. It'll just be Bind on Equip after the patch.

Gonna add a *grumble* here about Snow Cub certificates becoming BtC now [on Live servers] as well, just cuz I'm still miffed about it.

Carry on.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Alts nerf?

I'd rather everyone be bound to account or bound to char on equip.. So many alts so little time to grind out a ton of gear..
    Where am I and why am I in this hand basket.
    Main Server: Orien
    Main Toons: Gaarn lvl20 (4th life PM wizard) Broken on MyDDO | Jeran lvl20 (18 rang/1 monk/1 rog)

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

It's probably just part of the balancing act of keeping carrots going so that we continue to want something for our toons and keep having to go for it. If it's too easy, we get everything, and then there is...nothing left to do. So the customers wander off to the next game.

We as players look at it from the perspective of a player, we want gear/exp/coolpower/etc. etc.

Turbine looks at it from the perspective of every business: They want to remain an open and functioning business that makes a profit, which requires giving customers what they want, but not so much of it that they put themselves out of business.

I think it's a really delicate balance to strike that cannot be easy at all.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Unfortunately, the "balancing act" you state puts things in the wrong balance and defeats the objective you state. As a vet who has run every quest 100's if not 1000's of times to get my past lives where I want them on my main, the last thing I want to do right now is work on a new character. The prime reason I don't want to work on a new character is not the TR grind, but the gear grind. I don't want to have to go run that old content 100's of times go get the gear I want for said toon. That same gear is already sitting on other toons (in the bank and they can't even use it on their current class or wrong level gear, etc.).

The only reason I decided to start a second completionist project was because I had so many GS mats, Lordsmarch gear, crafting mats, and unbound named gear I figured it was a good use and time to start a new project to make use of it all. I probably would of done that a long time ago if I could of passed a toon all the raid gear lying around it my banks on alts gathering dust.

If I could pass more gear to alts, I would be playing more and I would grind out more past lives on alts. I would cap my bard and TR him to helf. I would play my capped wiz more (than just running shrouds for mats) probably TR him. I would TR my 28 point build wiz from 2006 maybe two or three times (before there was such a thing as TR, when we got 32 point builds I trashed ALL his raid gear to clear up bank space). I would play my capped monk probably TR him. I would TR my elf FVS to helf FVS maybe 2 times and a wiz and sorc life. At present, I don't want to work on any of those toons because they don't have the raid gear and I don't feel like running all the raids 20-100 times each with those toons to get what they need. So they stay stagnant bank toons.

All Turbine needs to do is look at the typical Chronoscope run. Do people actually run it on the toon that needs the stuff?

Make everything BTA or at least BTC on Equip, I think you would find more people would play more alts more of the time. I know I would.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    It's probably just part of the balancing act of keeping carrots going so that we continue to want something for our toons and keep having to go for it. If it's too easy, we get everything, and then there is...nothing left to do. So the customers wander off to the next game.

We as players look at it from the perspective of a player, we want gear/exp/coolpower/etc. etc.

Turbine looks at it from the perspective of every business: They want to remain an open and functioning business that makes a profit, which requires giving customers what they want, but not so much of it that they put themselves out of business.

I think it's a really delicate balance to strike that cannot be easy at all.
    RTFM on Khyber

I get BtA, they have to sell adventure packs, and if the loot was available in the AH ppl would loose an incentive to actually buy packs, but I just don't get why so much stuff is BtC. Raid loot is ok I guess, it's suppose to be really special and not something you can stock up on and twink, but commendations turn in are some pretty standard "anyone can get in a day or two" stuff. If they're worried about people getting them too fast, make the turn in cost more, but making commendations BtC is just frustrating.
    Gildus, Yhvain, Sabathiel, Einion

Cannith, GOCI
    Be Chill, have fun

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphious View Post
    I get BtA, they have to sell adventure packs, and if the loot was available in the AH ppl would loose an incentive to actually buy packs, but I just don't get why so much stuff is BtC. Raid loot is ok I guess, it's suppose to be really special and not something you can stock up on and twink, but commendations turn in are some pretty standard "anyone can get in a day or two" stuff. If they're worried about people getting them too fast, make the turn in cost more, but making commendations BtC is just frustrating.
    This^

I think at most (apart from dragontouched / Greensteel , those kinds of "loot") that everything should be at most BtA, BtC should be reserved only for items like the above.

It is extremely annoying to have a lot of gear that I simply cannot store in the shared bank, but cannot leave in my normal (cause it's full), and have trouble carrying (cause my inventory is full).