Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Tomes of Fate: Where do they drop in-game?

Quite a powerful item appearing on the DDOstore 'what's new' page. Tomes of Fate add to your Fate point pool (letting you both get Twists more quickly, and more powerful Twists overall). Basically raid-loot quality items.

What is the mechanism for acquiring these in-game without the store? AFAIK noone has found one in-game yet.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Not every store item drops in game, maybe these will be one of those.

If I read the description right, it basically adds 1 or 2 fate points when used. This sounds like an incredibly powerful ability that should NOT be ddo store exclusive. I really hope this will be dropping in quests because it's not like extra inventory or a larger bag or a pet. This directly effects the power of your character if it allows your maximum fate points to be increased. An item like that should never be exclusive to the store and I'd be quite disappointed in Turbine if it is. People already paid good money up front for access to destinies. Milking us another 1k points to add the "icing" to the cake and make it complete reeks of bloodsucking.

+1 for giving this topic the attention it deserves.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Basically raid-loot quality items.

What is the mechanism for acquiring these in-game without the store? AFAIK noone has found one in-game yet.
    Basically, turbine hasnt put anything of worth in this raid, so they are free to sell everything from twists, to extra feats, to bonus epic AP. Enjoy the slippery slope, its too late to get off this ride.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    If I read the description right, it basically adds 1 or 2 fate points when used. This sounds like an incredibly powerful ability that should NOT be ddo store exclusive. I really hope this will be dropping in quests because it's not like extra inventory or a larger bag or a pet. This directly effects the power of your character if it allows your maximum fate points to be increased. An item like that should never be exclusive to the store and I'd be quite disappointed in Turbine if it is. People already paid good money up front for access to destinies. Milking us another 1k points to add the "icing" to the cake and make it complete reeks of bloodsucking.

+1 for giving this topic the attention it deserves.
    Yeah it's a big increase in character power.

Here's an item that is absolutely required if you want to have a Tier 4 twist, plus a Tier 2 one, plus a Tier 1 one.

It's almost like having a store-only extra feat slot with the power level of some potential twists.

Here's an item that is absolutely required if you want to have a Tier 4 twist, plus a Tier 2 one, plus a Tier 1 one.

It's almost like having a store-only extra feat slot with the power level of some potential twists.
    I agree completely. This level of store bought power is just unprecedented. +3 stat tomes in the store is sketchy enough, but I'm assuming on monday they will be a whole lot easier for the masses to get, so that's less of an issue. Besides stat tomes nothing in the store directly adds character power like this does. Nothing even comes close so I hope it's not an exclusive as that isn't just a slippery slope. That's Turbine hopping on the bobsled and riding that slope right to the bank.

I really dislike that I paid for destinies thinking I was getting access to the whole thing, but now finding out that if I want a "complete" destiny experience I'll have to shell out a thousand TP per toon. That's just garbage.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

I think you would need 18 fate points to achieve that, meaning that with the 15 you can get from destinies and the tome, you would still be 1 fate point shy. Right now there doesn't appear to be anything that you can purchase with 17 fate points that you can't purchase with 15, but that will change as soon as a single additional destiny is released.

Agreed that the power of this item is rather extreme, and seems odd to have it as a store only item. I can't think of anything else that is store only that increases the actual power of your character (as opposed to convenience items, like xp tomes).
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Quote Originally Posted by Chette View Post
    I think you would need 18 fate points to achieve that, meaning that with the 15 you can get from destinies and the tome, you would still be 1 fate point shy. Right now there doesn't appear to be anything that you can purchase with 17 fate points that you can't purchase with 15, but that will change as soon as a single additional destiny is released.

Agreed that the power of this item is rather extreme, and seems odd to have it as a store only item. I can't think of anything else that is store only that increases the actual power of your character (as opposed to convenience items, like xp tomes).
    10 destinies with 5 levels each would be 16 fate points, wouldn't it?

So the tome would allow you to do what Sirgog mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Auran82 View Post
    10 destinies with 5 levels each would be 16 fate points, wouldn't it?

So the tome would allow you to do what Sirgog mentioned.
    You are correct, my mistake, I had calculated using only 9 destinies.
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Agreed. I really hope that, A) these things are available in-game, even if semi-rarely, and B) this isn't an indication of a bigger turn toward "pay to win" for DDO. So far they've been pretty good about this stuff, but the new items look to be must-buys for many, many players.

Not cool.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

DDOWiki

agreed. make em purchasable with epic tokens devs, if your'e listening.
    otherwise i'd consider them as "store-only pay to win" items.
    My HATE goes UNLIMITED!
    DIV on Thelanis

Xorphitus*Xiaojjie*Xiaommei
    DDOwiki - Sharing DDO knowledge

I'll be very pleased, but also very surprised if these actually drop in chests even in the new raid.

Community Member

Ahh 'Pay To Win' I swear its some peoples favorite phrase to throw around and have it ready on their clipboard to copy and paste whenever they can. I consider this no more P2W than Store SP pots or Store lasting ability pots or buying +3 tomes.

See that boat over there? Its sailing away.

Quote Originally Posted by terrenceknight1 View Post
    Ahh 'Pay To Win' I swear its some peoples favorite phrase to throw around and have it ready on their clipboard to copy and paste whenever they can. I consider this no more P2W than Store SP pots or Store lasting ability pots or buying +3 tomes.

There is a difference between +3 tomes (which will be dropping more often with the cap raise) and the +2 fate tome if the fate tome doesn't drop in quests without needing the store. The fate tome gives you something that you *cannot* get at all without it, you would need it if you wanted to unlock something like a 4/2/1, 3/3/1 or 3/2/2 twist of fate split, there is simply not enough points available without it. The ability to unlock adjacent EDs is just a slap in the face for people who happen to not be playing the way we are being told to play our characters. At 2 million xp per destiny, its a massive grind potentially through EDs that give you almost nothing useful just because someone decided your character should do X.

Community Member

Fair enough but the way I look at it is if a player wants it bad enough and are not willing to buy turbine points they can certainly create characters to do low level favor rushes to earn TP and earn the tomes that way, I mean this isn't the first time there is something on the store thats -good- and you can't buy/earn it in game. Monk, Half-Orc. Half-Elf. I'm sure I'm missing other things but I think thats getting the point across yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by terrenceknight1 View Post

+3 tomes were made available as unbound loot after people reminded Turbine of their promise not to sell raid loot in the store. They'll drop enough that you'll notice them in the expansion.

Store SP pots - mimic in-game ones. The difference between the tier 5 in-game Major pots and the tier 6 Concentrated store-only pots is real but seldom relevant. I've never been in a group where we failed because someone couldn't chug unbound SP pots fast enough to achieve some goal although I could see it maybe happening under contrived circumstances.

Ability pots - I'd forgotten they existed. Noone uses them except for stat levers or showoff screenshots AFAICT.

These Fate tomes aren't cosmetics, convenience or content like other store items. They are a 'you MUST buy me to build your character in certain ways' item, but unlike races or classes you aren't buying a lot of Dev work (say half-orcs which have unique animations for everything, or druids which had a lot of new spells, animations and other tech made for them).

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

+3 tomes were made available as unbound loot after people reminded Turbine of their promise not to sell raid loot in the store. They'll drop enough that you'll notice them in the expansion.
    like the xp tomes?

Store SP pots - mimic in-game ones. The difference between the tier 5 in-game Major pots and the tier 6 Concentrated store-only pots is real but seldom relevant. I've never been in a group where we failed because someone couldn't chug unbound SP pots fast enough to achieve some goal although I could see it maybe happening under contrived circumstances.
    There are 600-800 point sp pots in game?

Ability pots - I'd forgotten they existed. Noone uses them except for stat levers or showoff screenshots AFAICT.

These Fate tomes aren't cosmetics, convenience or content like other store items. They are a 'you MUST buy me to build your character in certain ways' item, but unlike races or classes you aren't buying a lot of Dev work (say half-orcs which have unique animations for everything, or druids which had a lot of new spells, animations and other tech made for them).
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    like the xp tomes?
    You don't need the XP tomes, and leveling isn't too bad without them. Also, you aren't forced to do anything differently by not having them.

Not really the case for epic destinies and fate points.

There are 600-800 point sp pots in game?
    Concentrated elixirs are something like 400-600 SP instead of 105-600 (Majors).
    The store is getting 600-800 SP pots, which is a huge boost over what's available in-game.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

You also DONT need the tome. Its not that it will break forever your character. Only powergamers see it as a must.

XP tomes are store only, as lot of others things. Its fine.

with the time (years maybe..) will be enuff epic destinies to unlock all your twist. You want more twists now? pay.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    I really dislike that I paid for destinies thinking I was getting access to the whole thing, but now finding out that if I want a "complete" destiny experience I'll have to shell out a thousand TP per toon. That's just garbage.
    This... ED will be released in monday with update and right after we get extra paid items for it??? for me it looks like we will pay 2 times for the same items I bought preorder second day when it went up thinking that i will have all what i need in expansion and now i learn that i was wrong, becouse i still need to spend more TP to make them usable... i won't buy any other preorder stuff in future from Turbine.

Next thing... this item is too good to be store only, i can life without store tomes, sp pots etc, but extra fate points? they will have big impact on game play, allowing to have more fun abilitys, faster use twists, people who spend more money will have more fun with ED. Why on preorder page wasn't write that with collector pack i will still need to buy more "upgrades" for them? i bought only base version of ED?
    Last edited by Xilth; 06-22-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast