Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Quests I Have never run and why

I have played for almost 3 years now. I love the game, I love playing through it but somehow in that three years there are still quests I have never run. Below is the list and why......the purpose - maybe someone can point out my incorrect assumptions or the developers may gain a minor amount of insight into how players view the game.

1. Three Barrel Cove - before I went VIP(late 2011) I had never touched it. Now I have done the one quest on the boat - I entered the explorer area on an at level character but I was on a melee and my hire died in seconds. I left never to return - nothing is ever on the LFM and so unless I go in over level to learn the area I will likely never go in....i know i am missing out on one XP farm quest but....meh.

2. Twilight Forge - flagged for it on two characters - never see it LFM'd - don't know it and due to lack of any pugs for it I don't see the point in learning it well enough to join the one pug a week you see try to run it.

3. MA and LOB - only flagged on one, maybe two characters - none of the loot it awe inspiring and now they are rarely run so I can't even learn it.

4. TOD - only ever made boots on my monk(light monk even so I can spam stun block).....drop rate for boot mats is stupid for quests with low XP and/or other rewards and for something that is a de facto requirement to run the raid. I want to run this one, I just don't feel like being the newb.

5. Cursed Ascension - until my last few TRs I had never filled a sigil (not until the pieces started dropping everywhere) since then I have never got flagged - people grind litany but never do the wings - I had enough trouble soloing that darned beholder and Mintos that I decided to shelve it when added to the fact that it is rarely Pugged.

Basically low reward, low PUG, low fun stuff....
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Sorc TR7 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/8 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 TR2 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

Community Member

That's basically my list, too. I heard that TOD was fun but I've never been able to make a set of boots and now noone runs it anymore.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonwelder View Post
    5. Cursed Ascension - until my last few TRs I had never filled a sigil (not until the pieces started dropping everywhere) ....
    This. Also 3 years, no sigil, and I farmed for it. But I've done every other quest in the game.

Community Member atlantiandreams's Avatar

TOD is easy you can just buy the matts off the AH. But i agree with cursed ascension never even been able to get all the frame parts.

I'd have to agree on all quests.

3BC: There is just no compelling reason to run out there, even with the new loot. Honestly, I absolutely forget it's even there until I have to fill in some favor - and even then I drag my feet in heading out. The only thing I like about it is the way the place looks... but even then the new scenery came at the expense of making the quests a lot more of a pain to get to. Ironically, I used to run these quests more before the makeover.

Twilight Forge:
    Last time I ran this raid was at least a full year before the change to free to play. Never see LFMs, never feel the urge to loot any of it's offerings... it's just dead content. To me at least.

MA and LOB: I keep hearing how much of a pain these are to even get to - and I've yet to hear anything about how fun the raids are. Couple that with the fact that most of the House C content vaguely annoys me anyways - and I just see no point.

TOD: I've been out to Amrath a total of four times, on all alts. Again, that's total. Not sure why I am so blasé about TOD flagging and Amrath... unlike most things I ignore, I hear the quests are fun and they are run often. I just never seem to make it out there, and feel no tug to do it.

Abbot: this raid was so bugged for so long, it's just reflexive for me to disregard it. It's just become ingrained in me to not even factor Abbot into my DDO day, and thus I don't run it. For me, the Abbot is a case study in why the Devs can't leave things broken for so long in the future. Even now that it's been fixed - I'm just too used to blowing it off.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

3BC use to actually fun but now its just not convient or required and its to bad.

cursed Asension well I am not any good at the puzzles except asteroids and not even that good at that one didnt find it fun.

ToD is fun and easy to bad its not run all that often any more have I think 2 sets of boot mat's in the bank and proably not gonna pass them to my other characters anytime soon.

MA and LoB did them once they werent that fun and can live without the loot there.

twilight forge I use to run that with some people a lot and actually passed a chattering ring should have maybe kept it but ah well and a certain guild who was semi famous for not letting nonguildies in on their loot let me get the gloves on a roll with their members might have been cause I ran it with them every 3 days for a couple months was a lot of fun and wouldnt mind run it again.
    Last edited by Uska; 09-18-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

For explorers and people who rather like stories, the 3-Barrel-Cove quests can be fun, I believe.

For those who want loot from them - nope.

They are very solo-friendly, too.
    Perhaps that's why there's never LFMs out for them.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Good list on the whole.

1. TBC, same as others, I just forget it's even there.
    2. Twilight forge. I forget it's there, flagging is a pain, never pugged and soon overtaken in the level stakes by other content and general rush to endgame.
    3. MA/LOB. They take hours to reach, hours to complete and when I ran MA it bugged out. Great. No thanks.
    4. TOD? I like it. I must have done 30+. Before ED's etc it was a good stretching challenge for a group. Shame there's no real need to run it anymore.
    5. Abbot? Hmmm. I like the idea, but quests with a ~65% completion rate due purely to finding the right 'tilers' seems wrong on so many levels. Loot not worth the effort now.

I would add to that list:

-Chains of flame. I run it once for flagging. It's just too long.
    -Threnal. If you don't know why then go and try it!
    -Stealer of souls. I hated the lottery aspect of DT armours pre-u14, now there's almost no need to bother.
    -Spies in the house. I forget it exists.

Uber Completionist

My list is pretty much the same as the OPs

I can also add Velah and CITW.

I guess Im just not a "raidy" person

Three Barrel Cove: I will hit on the next TR and give it another chance. Havent seen it since the revamp.

Twilight Forge: IF a LFM is up I'll hit it. Very very rare there is an LFM up.

MA/LOB: I dont run these but want too.

TOD: I like this raid.

Abbot: I have never ever run this. Mostly because EVERY lfm says "no first timers". I mean every one. So that precludes me unless I lie which I won't do. The closest i got was once joining an LFM for abbot that had nothing in the LFM. I told the leader when I joined I had never run. He politely asked me to drop. :/
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps.

Default Mostly Agree

I mostly agree.
    As for the sigil I fill it and run all parts of litany flagging just never the raid.
    Great xp.
    What we do as a guild is farm the frame pieces that each of us needs.
    Never takes us long.
    3brl cove for the quests hardly ever the explorer if I am bored sure.
    You can top of the slayers in 7 runs no big deal and pretty good xp.
    As for the hireling in the slayer area. I park them at the start and called them when needed.
    The Titian raid ran it once. The flagging quests are a pain. Those I have run.
    I have 3 royal guard masks. Never pulled the raise dead clicky.
    Never have run TOD do see LFM's up for it.
    I have 2 sets of the boots Smigit has one and Tamik the other.
    With Tam being only level 14 on his 3rd life will not be going there for a long time
    Not all who wander are lost. I am not lost, I am just exploring.
    Smigit F25 (Leg Dread 5), Xappit w20 (tr), Tamix C20,Smigitjr Tmp R 22, Tamik 14 P (3rd life,) , Xsong bard 20, Smigit5 arti 21, Xappet 20 AA, Smigit6 D22 (fw2), Tamok Fvs 20 Smoxfeat monk 16 Taggem Wf Pally 14 others. Leader Circle of Destruction Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I'
    MA and LOB: I keep hearing how much of a pain these are to even get to - and I've yet to hear anything about how fun the raids are. Couple that with the fact that most of the House C content vaguely annoys me anyways - and I just see no point.
    Then let me be the first to say, they are fun. If you prefer raids that are not standard boss beatdowns.
    MA needs a bit more incentive to run it tho.

3BC .... yea, I do remember it being run before they changed it, now its just tooooooo long of a walk to get to anything to bother with

Then: abbot(is it not still broke?), chains o annoyance(that run ... arrg that run), titan (that dang map), CO6 (too much running)

And then there is any quest with Coyle in it, *** **** **** ******** ***** *****

Otherwise I pretty much run most of everything else
    Last edited by Theolin; 09-18-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    TOD: I've been out to Amrath a total of four times, on all alts. Again, that's total. Not sure why I am so blasé about TOD flagging and Amrath... unlike most things I ignore, I hear the quests are fun and they are run often. I just never seem to make it out there, and feel no tug to do it.
    I can tell you why I'm so blase about it. For years the only "new" stuff was devil related. (this was also during the Atari vs. Turbine lawsuit darth time of content) So when finally new content gets released. Oh joy.. more devil. *barf*

Default Mostly good

Unlike at least one poster, I do hit Threnal on every TR. The Western Excavation is the only part I do however. No Coyle in that one and it isn't too bad at level.

I also like CO6 for some reason

I agree on everything else I have read so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

3BC I used to do.. Some of the quests out there are fun, but the exp is pretty bad, and there's a ton of fun quests that give good exp at that level, so I haven't done it in a long time.

I think they should just remake 3BC as a level 17 area... Bump up the items, increase the exp for the explorer area and the quests.... That's a lot easier than making a brand new level 17 area.

Twilight Forge I did a lot, looking for a chattering ring... I enjoyed that raid a lot, but mostly because I was good at chopping down the pillars, so I got to actually do something during the raid. After 40 runs though, I still didn't have the ring, so I gave up, and I haven't been back there in 2 or 3 years.

MA and LOB... My dirty little secret... I've never done them. I see LFMs for LOB now and then, but never for MA. I wasn't that interested in the alchemical grind anyway, but I do want to do them at least once.

I love TOD... Done it 100 times... Very fun... Although I enjoy it most on my tank... I spent a lot of time working on the goal of tanking Horoth. All my guys have boots now... But I haven't run it in a while because the ToD rings have been seriously devalued.

Abbot: this raid was so bugged for so long, it's just reflexive for me to disregard it. It's just become ingrained in me to not even factor Abbot into my DDO day, and thus I don't run it. For me, the Abbot is a case study in why the Devs can't leave things broken for so long in the future. Even now that it's been fixed - I'm just too used to blowing it off.
    Me too... I never got into Abbot... Ran it once to see what it's all about. Not interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by grayham View Post
    4. TOD? I like it. I must have done 30+. Before ED's etc it was a good stretching challenge for a group. Shame there's no real need to run it anymore.
    Good way to describe it... It was a good challenge... just like eChrono was a good challenge... Both could be completed nearly every time, but there was always a chance the group could fail. Gave them a little more spice.

Chains of flame. I run it once for flagging. It's just too long.
    Yeah me too..

Threnal. If you don't know why then go and try it!
    I like the Threnal quests, but the E3 with Coyle takes too long, gives tiny experience, and destroys any group I put together to run Threnal.

Plus, 9 quests is too much for a chain... Very hard to keep a group together that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Mulling it over through the night I have a better handle on why I don't run these quests/raids.

First 4/5 are raids.....I hate waiting around for raids to fill (heck filling a shroud bugs me - VoN is horribly long so these others would be atrocious) top that off with not knowing them so i can't lead one to start one.....

I don't have the solution, but Turbine needs to look at making these raids more puggable - take out bravery bonus streak breaking - take out (or reduce) power level penalties...bump up XP from the raids - pump up drop rates on those infrequently done raids or do it more like shroud and make it possible to build the end item from component drops in the raid (not that I want more ingredients)....really just look at how shroud flags (once for each quest and you are in), how you grind the ingredients (making multiple repetitions very worthwhile), how you can transfer ingredients amongst characters, how you can use the gear for most of the game (ie. TRs can use from L11 on) without it being game breaking....not that it needs to be a direct copy but take some of those elements and use them to improve the raids....by also taking out some of the **** from these raids (distance to quest, flagging requirements, drop rates)

The other reason - I would say I enjoy playing through the game more than end game itself. I have 10 L20ish characters (and/or TRd) but I don't spend much time at cap - just grind Tokens then either park em or TR. Thus if I don't hit something on the way through I am not likely to do it (ie. Reavers Fate is likely but even VoN is unlikely due to level constraints these other raids are a non-factor)
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Sorc TR7 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/8 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 TR2 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

Hero
    2015 Movember Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

I think they should just remake 3BC as a level 17 area... Bump up the items, increase the exp for the explorer area and the quests.... That's a lot easier than making a brand new level 17 area.
    Either that or make epic versions of the whole pack, including the wilderness area.

Quote Originally Posted by Marupal View Post
    Either that or make epic versions of the whole pack, including the wilderness area.
    Sadly, if they did this without some form of structural overhaul of the area, I think it'd wind up being underused epic content as opposed to underused lowbie content.

3BC is an example of giving a zone a reboot, and getting most of it right... but enough of it wrong to cause interest in that zone to all but evaporate.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast