Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So... Turbine

Community Member

I'd always assumed Wayfinder was physically in Europe, but after reading these comments I thought I should check. As far as I can tell it's in Boston with all the other Turbine servers.

As a strictly solo player who rarely buys gear, a sparse server has some appeal. It looks like I'll be going up to 32 characters soon. =)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fefnir_2011 View Post
    "Server" isn't some form of slang. Somewhere, there is a computer server labeled "Argonesson" with all the information pertinent to Argo on it. This means everyone's toons, banks, and boats, along with the auctions and pawn shops related to it. By allowing toons to move between servers, you have just put the load of Argonesson, Khyber, Cannith, Thelanis, Ghallanda, and Sarlona onto every server.

This is, in fact, the reason for servers. Otherwise, no matter how good a server you have, the lag would be brutal.

Ask Eve Online players how well that works out for them. I've talked to several people who used to play, and the lag was a significant factor in their departure. They also are among the people who don't think DDO's lag is bad at all.
    It is doable to merge servers, has been done before, and will be done again. I don't see any problem with it. I honestly prefer merging servers into one massive parallel processing server which can multiplex data over multiple modems rather than having everyone spread over several servers and wondering where everyone is. If you do it right you won't have lag problems. I got bored of Eve and didn't leave because of lag so maybe I missed something. Reguardless I get what you are saying but I still think it is possible to merge them and bypassing lag problems with the proper equipment.
    Last edited by DustTheWind; 08-02-2012 at 01:36 PM.

ok so what happens to my toons on 8 servers all with the same name?

i dont think that a whole of server merge will ever happen. And i think the favor farmers may be a bit peeved to. 7 less servers to run favor on.

Uber Completionist
    The Hatchery

If your toon name exist already on the other server Turbine will grant you a free "rename your toon" thingy to solve that once you log in on that particular server..

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow7375 View Post
    If your toon name exist already on the other server Turbine will grant you a free "rename your toon" thingy to solve that once you log in on that particular server..
    Acutally if its a forced merger they will give the active character who had the name first the name, all others will be given the name plus the server they started on and an option to rename.

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by DustTheWind View Post
    It is doable to merge servers, has been done before, and will be done again. I don't see any problem with it. I honestly prefer merging servers into one massive parallel processing server which can multiplex data over multiple modems rather than having everyone spread over several servers and wondering where everyone is. If you do it right you won't have lag problems. I got bored of Eve and didn't leave because of lag so maybe I missed something. Reguardless I get what you are saying but I still think it is possible to merge them and bypassing lag problems with the proper equipment.
    Of course you are aware that the hardware for one super uber-server costs worlds more than the hardware of 8 independent servers or paralell computing server-networks...

Using virtual machines to simulate different servers on one single big hardware platform is very resource consuming, to say the best. Better to have 8 different servers than one platform and 8 virtual machines...

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    No reason to have a merge, just make it a non specific language preferred server. It will fill eventually.

Complaints may arise from this though, because all new headcount would be fresh off the boat newbies, where a merge would put the populace in with another server full of players with mixed levels of experience.
    Speaking as a German, this idea of a ghetto didn't work and I still don't know why Turbine felt the urge to give us our own playground... this seems anything but logic and consistent since it is the only language related server...

Just remove the label and done with it, so another server, who cares? But German? Why not Czech? Or Usbekistan? What the fog?
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdrocky View Post
    ok so what happens to my toons on 8 servers all with the same name?

i dont think that a whole of server merge will ever happen. And i think the favor farmers may be a bit peeved to. 7 less servers to run favor on.
    Thats prety easy. Every toon gets a letter at the end of their name associated with the server they used to be on. So even toons with the same name are ok. That or they get a color associated with their name that indicates the server it used to be on.

want to run favor just delete old toons and make a few new toons and run old quests all over again and get more points.

The real problem is how many characters you can have on 1 server. However they could just make the ones already on servers always available till deleted.

Biggest problem in my opinion right now is people wondering. "It's a friday night where is everyone" Then a half hour later of waiting on an lfm they state, "well see ya im gona go do something else".
    Last edited by DustTheWind; 08-04-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DustTheWind View Post
    Thats prety easy. Every toon gets a letter at the end of their name associated with the server they used to be on. So even toons with the same name are ok. That or they get a color associated with their name that indicates the server it used to be on.

want to run favor just delete old toons and make a few new toons and run old quests all over again and get more points.

The real problem is how many characters you can have on 1 server. However they could just make the ones already on servers always available till deleted.

Biggest problem in my opinion right now is people wondering. "It's a friday night where is everyone" Then a half hour later of waiting on an lfm they state, "well see ya im gona go do something else".
    sounds like a lot of hard work programming etc. time better spent fixing bugs rather than introducing a swathe of new ones as the total server merge would no doubt do.
    Would be a lot easier to just drop the (DE) and make it just a server with no language designation.

And maybe i don't want to delete any of my toons.

Its pretty simple really. if you don't like playing on wayfinder, dont. problem solved.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdrocky View Post
    sounds like a lot of hard work programming etc. time better spent fixing bugs rather than introducing a swathe of new ones as the total server merge would no doubt do.
    Would be a lot easier to just drop the (DE) and make it just a server with no language designation.

And maybe i don't want to delete any of my toons.

Its pretty simple really. if you don't like playing on wayfinder, dont. problem solved.
    Wayfinder? Im talking about Thelanis. The size of people online isn't what it used to be.

Difficult to program? Why should that be an issue. They programed this whole game.

The game is about community. What I find best about this game the excelent chat with small teams and working together. But if it gets to the point it is hard for people to find anyone to quest with then we can all guess what will happen. For instance epic quest's were never designed to be solo'd by design. And many other quests for that matter.

Edit:
    argh! I just realized this is on a forum about the wayfinder server ( . Doh sorry but I suppose reguardless I still feel at least some of the servers should be merged. No wonder you guys kept bringing up Wayfinder D lol. sorry.
    Last edited by DustTheWind; 08-13-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12