Community Member

Default GS Shortsword / Khopesh / Scimitar ???

I currently have an elf AA that I'm planning on TR'ing into half-elf AA that uses Zen Archery (6 monk / 11 ranger / 3 arti). My current build uses scimitars, but I'm working on crafting his GS items now. I already have a lit 2 longbow, but I want two melee weapons to switch to when TWF'ing.

My question: do I craft two lit 2 short swords to remain centered as a monk (will have ninja spy I) or is it not worth it since I'll only have 6 monk levels? Should I just craft two lit 2 khopeshes for the better critical range and not worry about being centered? Or would scimitars be good? I'm looking best dps option; I'm not sure if remaining centered will be all that important. Khopeshes of water look very attractive, too, which seems another point in favor of khopesh.

While we're on the subject, lit 2 is the best path for me to go, correct? I'll be using longbow mostly, but when I do switch to TWF'ing, I want as high dps as possible.

If khopesh, I think I can fit the weapon proficiency by dropping mental toughness. I have energy of the arti which should satisfy the AA requirement, but when I was using the character creator, energy of the arti wasn't working to satisfy the prereq, and I had to build using mental toughness. I assume this is a bug with the character creator. Worse case scenario - I have to use master's touch scrolls for the proficiency - a pain, but doable.
    -Taters
    Argonnessen: Catteras, Lukie, Totalle, Paularubia, Momentte, Complette, Malaena, Lethale, Tottalle
    Some clever quote is supposed to go here, right?

Assuming you have access to ToD rings and/or Stalker Ring, I'd just stick to wraps. 1 level of monk is enough to justify using em at all times.

If you are using 10k stars, you will probably want to stay centered to build up ki for it.
    If you aren't using 10k stars, why not?

Master's Touch will not work for khopeshes, because they are Exotic rather than Martial weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Taters214 View Post
    I currently have an elf AA that I'm planning on TR'ing into half-elf AA that uses Zen Archery (6 monk / 11 ranger / 3 arti). My current build uses scimitars, but I'm working on crafting his GS items now. I already have a lit 2 longbow, but I want two melee weapons to switch to when TWF'ing.

My question: do I craft two lit 2 short swords to remain centered as a monk (will have ninja spy I) or is it not worth it since I'll only have 6 monk levels? Should I just craft two lit 2 khopeshes for the better critical range and not worry about being centered? Or would scimitars be good? I'm looking best dps option; I'm not sure if remaining centered will be all that important. Khopeshes of water look very attractive, too, which seems another point in favor of khopesh.

While we're on the subject, lit 2 is the best path for me to go, correct? I'll be using longbow mostly, but when I do switch to TWF'ing, I want as high dps as possible.

If khopesh, I think I can fit the weapon proficiency by dropping mental toughness. I have energy of the arti which should satisfy the AA requirement, but when I was using the character creator, energy of the arti wasn't working to satisfy the prereq, and I had to build using mental toughness. I assume this is a bug with the character creator. Worse case scenario - I have to use master's touch scrolls for the proficiency - a pain, but doable.
    Is this for leveling, or to muck around at cap?

Where do you envision you'll be using the weapons?

I ask this in all seriousness, because I pretty much use handwraps. I carry a couple of Met/PG kamas or shortswords in case I run into serious DR, but I'm mostly using wraps or the bow. 10k stars and Manyshot means you don't have to put down the bow often, and a high WIS means when you do put it down, stunning fist is tasty.

I've got a set of the Tharrak wraps, and they are fun, but I use my stunning +10 more often when I don't have the bow out. For most boss fights, I'm 90% bow.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

I do have access to TOD items and stalker ring. 10k stars is in the build (main reason for 6 monk levels), so then, yes, I'll need to stay centered to generate ki. Answers that question.

I'm looking for a melee options for when I'm not using the bow. This would be both for leveling and for using at cap. I'm not so good at grinding for certain gear, but running shrouds constantly is something I can stomach.

It seems like I'm mostly hearing that wraps will be my best choice then, right? I had two GS weapons on my brain because one can't make GS wraps and I figured that DPS would be better with a couple of GS lit 2 weapons. Are wraps the superior dps option then? (I don't want to waste time and ingredients on two GS weapons if I'll only discover that my dps is best when using wraps.) My WIS will be as high as I can get it (base 24 at lvl 20), so stunning fist would be nice.
    -Taters
    Argonnessen: Catteras, Lukie, Totalle, Paularubia, Momentte, Complette, Malaena, Lethale, Tottalle
    Some clever quote is supposed to go here, right?

i dunno, i personally would consider hunting down some of the 18-20 critical rate short swords and using those for ki generation. you should crit *very* often with them, which will create ki *very* quickly. even if you don't use fire stance, you should gen lots with crane path... (though i think you'd probably be better off having at least 2-3 tiers of fire stance, since i suspect you'll want a different animal path).

Id go for wraps

To explain:
    you need 2 peshes, 2 scimi, 2 short sword, 2 kama to get similar effect as 1 wraps (similar since wraps are ki wepon and you get full dmg on off hand [base 1d8 with 6 monk and no pl, which can be boosted to 1d10 with alchemical wraps, garments or jiz in earth stance ])
    wraps have faster attack speed
    wraps will let you use stance ( so are kama and short swords ) - anyway you need some ki for 10k stars
    It is cheaper to craft 1 weapon than to craft same weapon 2ce ( yeah I am aware of price for silver base wraps and increase of 2 lvls for Threaded wraps but still it is worth it ). If you have acces to Canith pack ( LoB ) you could easy make some nice wraps if you have time for that, and ofc some nice bows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    i dunno, i personally would consider hunting down some of the 18-20 critical rate short swords and using those for ki generation. you should crit *very* often with them, which will create ki *very* quickly. even if you don't use fire stance, you should gen lots with crane path... (though i think you'd probably be better off having at least 2-3 tiers of fire stance, since i suspect you'll want a different animal path).
    Swap out to oremis necky or alchemist one from C pack to get 1 ki per punch for ki needed to use 10k stars - even without fire stance it will go pretty fast up

*note I am doing AA splashed character as well and so far i have been using wraps and few BtA Quarterstaff i made. Plan till lvl 20 will be get HoX wraps t1 alchemical ( air ) t2 wis and ofc stonedust round lvl 12
    Last edited by maha0201; 04-03-2012 at 03:18 AM.
    Thelanis, Playing since 2009
    S II | Favor 12 Mmaha 6015 | Reaper 43 Mmaha 115,954
    S III | Favor 22 Maha 6005
    S V | Favor 19 Maha 6267

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Wraps are definitely the best both in terms of utility for questing (with stunning fist or tharaak wraps) and DPS at cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index