Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Default Anagram

According to a book I recently read (Of Dice and Men), it states that Gary Gygax's first (first?) name was Ernest, which could be an anagram for Tenser's transformation and other "tenser" spells... (credit goes to David Ewalt, who wrote the book which is stated above).
    Original Join date-- 2009
    Orien- Rougemastert (16th life)
    Officer- Unknown Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Rougemastert View Post
    According to a book I recently read (Of Dice and Men), it states that Gary Gygax's first (first?) name was Ernest, which could be an anagram for Tenser's transformation and other "tenser" spells... (credit goes to David Ewalt, who wrote the book which is stated above).
    Its not a posibility, its an anagram of Gygax's son: Ernest.

I noticed that the name of the end boss of the prision of the planes Cochitlehua means Among the dreams in nahuatl (a pre-hispanic méxican languaje) the devs really do their research for those.
    Last edited by LeonAureo; 02-19-2014 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougemastert View Post
    Close, Gary Gygax's character was Mordenkainen. His son was named 'Ernie' (oft short for Earnest) and he played a wizard called Tenser. Robert J. Kuntz (co author of Greyhawk) played a character called Bigby. His other son Lucien played a character called Melf. Don Kaye (co founder of TSR) created Murlynd.

Most of those "<name> spells" came from characters created by the very first people who played DnD which mostly consisted of Gary Gygax and his friends and family.

There's a subtle one in the Tangleroot chain:

In part 1, the eastern cell block has a pit with scorpions in it. At the bottom of the pit is a tunnel that leads to a room with a guy that promptly dies of (scorpion) poison after you enter.

In part 2, you return to the dungeon, and if you got back to that room there is a dead body on the floor that promptly reanimates as a zombie.

In part 3, you go back again, and if you go visit the room there is a skeleton on the floor that promptly animates.

In part 4, he animates as a wraith. I think that's the end of it.

Default Sane Asylum

The Sane Asylum quest (Reign of Madness pack) is a reference to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1975 film).
    Nurse Ratchet, the end boss (beholder), is a reference to the nurse in the film who largely plays the leading antagonist.

From wikipedia: Ataraxia (???????? "tranquility") is a Greek term used by Pyrrho and Epicurus for a lucid state of robust tranquility, characterized by ongoing freedom from distress and worry.

Great name for a spa. ( dont know if that counts as a easter egg tho)

(Say): Captain Markus says, 'I didn't think I'd live through all this -- I'm two days away from retirement.'

Oh, no, Markus! It's saying that you're two days away from retirement that kills you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen (Pokémon G/S/C)
    Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by SaneDitto View Post
    (Say): Captain Markus says, 'I didn't think I'd live through all this -- I'm two days away from retirement.'

Oh, no, Markus! It's saying that you're two days away from retirement that kills you!
    Ain't it a reference to lethal weapon movie (Danny Glover is supposed to be close from retirement) ?

Friends in Low Place questgiver is Faline Abbot. ... Falling after the ascension ? Or is it a reference to his kneeling when he gets stunned ?

Last questgiver in the arc (Through a Mirror Darkly), is Jacinta Last.
    And a Mirror Darkly is clearly a reference to Corinthians XIII, 12 : "For now we see through a mirror, darkly" - which reference was also used in Star Trek Enterprise (4th season, ep. 18 & 19).
    Aezechiel (Caster, 14th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (High saves evartie, 4th life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (sorcerer 4th life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (Vistani knife fighter, 2nd life) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Thumbs up More from Gauntlet (II)

Could it be ... ?

Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Extispex View Post
    Could it be ... ?
    They died in the shroud. It seems they failed to destroy the portals.
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

People who've been through the Catacombs may be interested in this bit of continuity.

Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.

Community Member

Lightbulb Obscure, but maybe...

In coal chamber the gelatinous cube with a key inside it is possibly a reference to the classic PnP module "night's dark terror" where the monster kartoeba is a giant ooze with a key inside it, obtained after killing it.

Default Found another

Quote Originally Posted by GrampaBill View Post
    Has there been a list of all of the Easter Eggs and Puns people have found in DDO? I've only found one thread so far mentioning the name of a Rakshasa in Let Sleeping Dust Lie. There's of course Mentau the Fleshmaker.

The reason I ask is that I just discovered one today that was new to me: Xy'zzy, the boss in Hound of Xoriat is also the password used in what is likely the original computer game Adventure. XYZZY was entered at the beginning of the game to transport the player into the caves bypassing much of the initial stages of the game.

If there's already a thread, I'd be happy to drop this there, otherwise maybe we should make a comprehensive list as they are discovered.

How about monk elemental attack: Earth, Air (Wind) & Fire - Shining Star. Makes you dance.

Remember the one optional prisoner in "Prison of the Planes", who is named Sir Raleigh? Raleigh was an English explorer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Raleigh

Oh, Raleigh spent quite a bit of time in prison.

"You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" - Dwarven Executioner

- Or the Happy Mask Salesman.

Community Member

Default could it be?

Don't know if this one has been spotted yet,

There is a lizardman NPC in wheelon prison who hides in the drainage culvert and transports players out of the prison. His name is "snake" and he wears an eye patch on his left eye just like iconic anti hero Snake Plissken. Seems to be a reference as the whole wheelon prison area/quests has an "escape from New York" vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Extispex View Post
    Could it be ... ?
    I was thinking those four might be a reference to the board game "Clue". In that game there are a bunch of characters, all of whom were color-coded and had names that fit their color. There was "Ms. Scarlet" (red), "Colonel Mustard" (yellow), "Professor Plum" (purple), amongst others.

May or may not be a subtle tip to Dave the Barbarian, but every time I hear someone say "Lay Waste" I immediately remember this episode...

Community Member

Default Epic orchard rare

There is a rare in the epic orchard where you have to reanimate a flesh golem like Frankenstein. After it is done the golem and another npc, very much like a scientist talk, the npc says he's going to call the golem Shelley. This would seem to refer to Mary Shelley the author of Frankenstein.

Community Member

Default dreams of insanity

Just noticed this one. One of the Beholders in Dreams of Insanity is named Garellek. Seems a reference to Garelick Farms, which is a large dairy in Massachusetts, not far from where Turbine has its HQ.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast