Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

In the Vale of Twilight, there's an earth elemental rare named Rochussen, which I believe is a reference to the late film actor Rock Hudson.

Morgulion • Romenion • Valmyrion • Vanielle • Zandrine • Zeldaryne • Zinnuviel

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlugger View Post
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=349143 lists some references to Metal

There is a band named Coal Chamber. I believe they are the inspiration for the name of everyone's favorite Vale quest.
    I don't buy this... For one thing, "coal chamber" is a player nickname. The full name is "Coalesence Chamber"
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I don't buy this... For one thing, "coal chamber" is a player nickname. The full name is "Coalesence Chamber"
    Everything out there in the Vale has some reference to metal/rock music... why would this one dungeon not have some reference?

And if they called it Coal Chamber, the players would expect lots of coal in there.

Weapons shipment has a reference to Star Wars and the death star.

Captain Niles used to be Nicholas Cage for Irestone

Acute Delerium:
    The dancing beds and book shelves is to Mickey Mouse and the Sorcerers Apprentice.
    The part with the beholder catching up "Inconcievable!" - Princess Bride

Kobolds in cannith challenges have some:
    "These are not the shinies you are looking for!"
    "This is why we can't have nice things, because you take'em!"

Others that some people mention
    Last edited by Rian; 03-01-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfo View Post
    John Lonnon or Lannon in the Chronoscope phoenix tavern...pretty cool.
    If you click on the drummer, Rongi Starwatcher (Ringo Starr), his text alludes to one of the oldest musician jokes there is.

They are in the regular, non-chrono phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Joldahks View Post
    Also in House K., there is a dwarf guard named Ravnika, apparently named after Magic: the Gathering set Ravnica: City of Guilds.
    Another M:tG reference and/or homage is the look of the Envenomed Cloak. It's very very similar to Jace's cloak.

The last quest in Assault on Stormreach, has 2 enemies named as a homage to Pinky and the Brain. They even have dialogue (text only) quoting "What are we doing tonight? Same thing we do every night, take over the world!".

I love threads like this.

Don't forget the Deadly Gazebo explorer in Ataraxia's. Even has this text:

(Dungeon Master): This gazebo serves as a lookout for approaching ships. Remnants of arrows lead you to believe that it has also been used as a sniping spot

Which could reference the rare that spawns there or the story.
    ~~~~{Rampant Altoholic based in Cannith and multiplying...}~~~~

~~~~{Former UI skin author of Cosmos, currently waiting for a new art asset release}~~~~

Community Member

in a small problem in phiarlan carnaval

The giant Brawspit that you have to convince to be an actor is realy similar to the Bradspit Hollywood actor

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    But what does dizafrabadoo mean? Only one group of kobolds in the entire game says it.
    Possibly Yabba Dabba Doo from the Flintstones?

Just guessing.
    Knorgh (triple triple completionist) Currently 12 Wizard/6 Ranger/2 Monk

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Not really an easter egg, but ... There are a few NPCs with the names of "Bauerdatter" around there, one is the famous very first quest giver (well, usually, at least) of/on Korthos Island after the "introduction quest".

The word "bauer" means in German language simply "farmer, although an (hardly ever) interpretation as "builder" is possible, too. The word "datter" means nothing in German language, the only point towards is the reflexive verb "verdattert sein" ... very rough translation would be "to be dattered". http://dict.leo.org offers the following words as translations of "verdattert" : "to be befuddled", "to be fuddled", "to be fazed", "to be in a dither". It even offers the regular verb "verdattern", of which I haven't heard so far (read: no-one in my environment uses it [as a regular verb].
    As a reslt, Kaja Bauerdatter could be [very roughly] translated as "Kaja Farmerfuddler" or so.

On Korthos Island there is also the guy called Jacob Drexelhand. The German verb "drechseln" is pronounced exactly like this part "drexel", and the verb "Drechseln" means, according to dict.leo.org "woodturning" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodturning
    As a result, Jacob Drexelhand could be translated as "Jacob Woodturnerhand", so to say. Sounds a bit uneven in my ears.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

i thought the 'datter' at the end was a remnant of 'daughter of' naming conventions from way back when. in otherwords, the last name translates "daughter of Bauer"

the official home of LOLWUT
    and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc
    Q: how do you get me to appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question! XD

Not sure whether this counts, but the level 20 hireling cleric, Wyoh?

(W...??.) You Own Healer

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    i thought the 'datter' at the end was a remnant of 'daughter of' naming conventions from way back when. in otherwords, the last name translates "daughter of Bauer"
    Or more correctly, daughter of a builder. And I am amost sure that datter means daughter in one of Scandinavian languages. Norge maybe? Or Dannish.

Edit: Oh, and I can't believe no one yet mentioned hard and emotionless Crateos

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Not really an easter egg, but ... There are a few NPCs with the names of "Bauerdatter" around there, one is the famous very first quest giver (well, usually, at least) of/on Korthos Island after the "introduction quest".

The word "bauer" means in German language simply "farmer, although an (hardly ever) interpretation as "builder" is possible, too. The word "datter" means nothing in German language, the only point towards is the reflexive verb "verdattert sein" ... very rough translation would be "to be dattered". http://dict.leo.org offers the following words as translations of "verdattert" : "to be befuddled", "to be fuddled", "to be fazed", "to be in a dither". It even offers the regular verb "verdattern", of which I haven't heard so far (read: no-one in my environment uses it [as a regular verb].
    As a reslt, Kaja Bauerdatter could be [very roughly] translated as "Kaja Farmerfuddler" or so.

On Korthos Island there is also the guy called Jacob Drexelhand. The German verb "drechseln" is pronounced exactly like this part "drexel", and the verb "Drechseln" means, according to dict.leo.org "woodturning" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodturning
    As a result, Jacob Drexelhand could be translated as "Jacob Woodturnerhand", so to say. Sounds a bit uneven in my ears.
    Lots and lots of people in early quests show up again later and/or are related to other people in Stormreach. Jacoby Drexelhand is the nephew of the Black Abbot if I recall correctly and I am still learning about the tie-ins between each of the quests.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the Illithid Navigator Crewmember on some airships.

Talk to him and ask him why he's working for your guild and he makes some vague reference to Spelljammer and hints at Giant Space Hamsters.

I wish I could remember the text exactly, but I can't get in-game to check.
    You are responsible for your own DDO experience.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Koshy11 View Post
    And if its not already obvious enough:
    Yaulthoon said : Pity you're just going to beat it up. This is why we can't have nice things.

Reference to our rabid melees that just hit anything they see and complain about quests where they can't do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ainmosni View Post
    because... people who dont play barbarians are classy?

that's a stretch.
    Actually, this is a famous line and it has been referenced often in pop culture - both in Hollywood and in other games. I remember it from "Everybody Loves Raymond": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zUWXKThqHw. I am not sure if that was the first time it was used though.

A quick google and here is a history of the phrase for what it's worth: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/this-i...ve-nice-things
    Last edited by Hafeal; 03-02-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1--2 -3 -4 -5--6 -7 -8--9--10 -11-12 13 14! 15 16 17 years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Larafay Do'rret, the 16th level drow FvS, always struck me as possibly a reference to SiNafay Hun'ett, aka Shi'nayne Do'Urden, one time matron of house Hun'ett and a very powerful priestess.

very very similar sounding names, in cadence and rhyme.

the official home of LOLWUT
    and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc
    Q: how do you get me to appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question! XD

Quote Originally Posted by ainmosni View Post
    the music in the area around the bat rare encounter in the Vale of Twilight sounds suspiciously similar to something ive heard before.
    It happens to be my favorite music in all of DDO.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by Domfig View Post
    I think its one ot ataraxia quests that has an elemental called detritus.. this is the name of the troll policeman in Terry Pratchett books
    That sounds like a coincidence. Earth, debris, detritis...

If a troll were called Detritus, that would be a likely reference.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast