Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus451 View Post
    theres actually some eberron lore to this: there is something called "The Shadow in the Flame" that most believe refers to the Demon overlord imprisoned within the Silver Flame itself
    Specifically, the Demon Lord Bal Shalor. He was imprisoned when the Paladin Tira Minon sacrificed herself to become the embodiment of the Silver Flame itself.

Community Member

Speaking of the Silver Flame, most people I've spoken to in game never caught on to this either.

If I were to as you when the moon symbol on the shrines meant you would probably say "rest". Validating it as moon equals night equals sleep time equals rest. But if asked about the flame, you would drawn a blank or joked MMOs are hell. So why fire for resurrection?

Well, the old alchemical symbol for silver is a crescent moon. The shrines are in fact stamped as "Silver Flame".

Sort of an implied ownership really, as if there wasn't enough propaganda for them already.

Quote Originally Posted by Peo View Post
    Speaking of the Silver Flame, most people I've spoken to in game never caught on to this either.

If I were to as you when the moon symbol on the shrines meant you would probably say "rest". Validating it as moon equals night equals sleep time equals rest. But if asked about the flame, you would drawn a blank or joked MMOs are hell. So why fire for resurrection?

Well, the old alchemical symbol for silver is a crescent moon. The shrines are in fact stamped as "Silver Flame".

Sort of an implied ownership really, as if there wasn't enough propaganda for them already.
    the arguement could also be made that they chose a "flame" symbol for res shrines from the "pheonix rising from the flame" angle of things
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

The explorer Dr. Livingstone's Journal can be found in Offering of Blood at the shrine you have to swim to.
    Server: Orien
    Guild: Over Raided
    Toons: Phasma - Swashbuckler ; Ceroni - Acrobat ; Selina Air Savant ; Cachin - Artificer

Community Member BrackishHighwayman's Avatar

Croaker (lorechanter) in Red Fens vs. Croaker (doctor, annalist) from the 'The Black Company'-novels by Glen Cook

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but Roskilde (Frost giant mini boss in Prey on the Hunter) is the name of a city in Denmakr, not tto far from Copenhagen.
    Also the fire elemental rare in Orchard is named Firenze, Italian name of the city of Florence, but this is not a big mistery
    Iolho - Vetafer - Finkbrau
    Thelanis

Well, whenever my Arti's dog says "AFFIRMATIVE" I start looking around for a blue police call box
    So, I hear that one day we may get Familiars...
    ....I want a Velociraptor!

Quote Originally Posted by VonBek View Post
    Well, whenever my Arti's dog says "AFFIRMATIVE" I start looking around for a blue police call box
    /facepalm

HOW DID I MISS THIS!!!???
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by VonBek View Post
    ???
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DanteEnFuego View Post
    ???
    its referencing K-9 from Doctor Who

I'm so going to look for Velah in the Bogwater tavern now. I loved it when I found her in the Chrono raid and I would love to see her actually existing in the current world in polymorphed form. The chrono raid is in the past after all.

I loved the beholders in Acute Delirium; Look at the size of beds on that thing!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peo View Post

Actually, I interpreted the moon symbol as the crescent moon symbol you see on old-timey outhouses (so think "rest" as in "restroom"). The sun thing may simply be a counterpoint to that.

Getting back on topic, one of the other hireling vendors is named Kaeless, a take on Kahless, the famed Klingon Warrior.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PadrePio View Post
    I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but Roskilde (Frost giant mini boss in Prey on the Hunter) is the name of a city in Denmakr, not tto far from Copenhagen.
    Also the fire elemental rare in Orchard is named Firenze, Italian name of the city of Florence, but this is not a big mistery
    Roskilde is more likely a play on "Rockslide," though the fact that it's also a place name probably helps.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance777 View Post
    The explorer Dr. Livingstone's Journal can be found in Offering of Blood at the shrine you have to swim to.

Could you explain that please?i dont get it!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Livingstone

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    This used to be in every world history class from elementary through high school:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Livingstone
    So, I hear that one day we may get Familiars...
    ....I want a Velociraptor!

Quote Originally Posted by yawumpus View Post
    Nobody's mentioned the hirelings:

Byron Scoutsword: Iron Byron (golf club testing machine used by USGA) - inspired this post.
    Grommisk Axehead (??? Grummish? can't place this one).
    Frenzy: DDO reference
    Rage: another DDO reference
    Arnal Swarts: Lots of Arnold references in DDO. Hopefully inspired by Conan.
    Club : Presumably the description "Do you have tickets to the club show?" is the joke
    Alphar Fairwood: In light of Byron, I suspect a golf reference.
    Brigita Hammersong: ??? Judging from the Vale, I suspect that these are obvious to the headbanger.
    Anthem: Anthem is used a lot where bards are concerned. Since the Rush song is explicitly reference elsewhere...
    Full Metal: Presumably full metal jacket. Hopefully he can break DR.
    Veil (WF rogue): I thought Veil was an elf sorceress (VON3)?

On second thought, the first few hirelings seemed to be full of references, then they gave up. Can anybody place the rest?
    There's a hireling called Dazhbog.

Community Member

13 pages in and no one has mentioned the Bard Bugbears near the Cerulean Gate??? The list of bands those guys could be is very short...

Default King Raiyum says

King Raiyum says, ''I'm a god, why can't I live on?''

Lyrics from Iron Maiden's "Powerslave"

Quote Originally Posted by Farseer-Lolotea View Post
    Roskilde is more likely a play on "Rockslide," though the fact that it's also a place name probably helps.
    Actually Roskilde ir probably more related to the town, because there is even a viking museum in Roskilde. Overall I think it just migh be a normal viking name.
    We want more Shavarath quests!

Please fix the Radiant Servant Burst!

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast