Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Easter Eggs and Puns in DDO

Has there been a list of all of the Easter Eggs and Puns people have found in DDO? I've only found one thread so far mentioning the name of a Rakshasa in Let Sleeping Dust Lie. There's of course Mentau the Fleshmaker.

The reason I ask is that I just discovered one today that was new to me: Xy'zzy, the boss in Hound of Xoriat is also the password used in what is likely the original computer game Adventure. XYZZY was entered at the beginning of the game to transport the player into the caves bypassing much of the initial stages of the game.

If there's already a thread, I'd be happy to drop this there, otherwise maybe we should make a comprehensive list as they are discovered.
    Dec 21, 2011: Regarding signature errors like the one to the left:
    Quote Originally Posted by droipamine View Post
    I imagine we'll be looking at this very soon.

Kkomglol is the Rakshasa

KK...omg...lol

Makes me laugh to this day.

I Used to know a lot of them.
    Knorgh (triple triple completionist) Currently 12 Wizard/6 Ranger/2 Monk

In Lord of Eyes, in the water elemental room, if you talk to the NPC he talks about not crossing the streams.

Kraahg
    Stillz Azgoth:
    11 Dwarf Light Monk - 7th Life
    1st-Ranger-tri-class-gimp;2nd-Fighter;3rd-Pallie/Monk;4th-Pallie/Monk;5th-Dwarf-Light-Monk;6th-Fighter/Dark-Monk-yuck

Running with the devils Quest in the vale .... Van Halen song.

In undermine, running trying to save yourself from a giant boulder (Raiders of the lost Ark)

The divine item sets of Hound and VoD.... Ann Velsing? (mentions Ann Velsing was a famous undead and vampire hunter so its obviously a Van Hellsing reference)
    Last edited by Zyerz; 03-01-2012 at 12:57 PM.

"Hikari datte, yami datte, kitto"

Into light, into darkness, surely.

Lord of Eyes in Acute Delerium near the end says "Utaalk Adarab Otkin!" when using Belashyra's Scepter

The words are:
    Klaatu Barada Nikto
    Officer of Renowned

There is an NPC in Caverns of Koromor named Axelrod Gunnerson which is very similar to a Magic: The Gathering card named Axelrod Gunnarson from the Legends expansion. The Legends expansion is widely known to have been based on a long running PnP D&D campaign played by the designer of the set.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zyerz View Post
    Running with the devils.... Van Halen song.
    and Rainbow in the Dark is a Dio song.

Ghosts of Perdition is a (heavy/hard rock) song as well, but I don't know which was named first.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

ARN-01D in Made to Order

I think Valdus in the Dead Shall Rise is a reference to the Farscape villian Maldus (Could be coincidence though) But, the similarities between the stories of their lairs is suspicious.

You utter the words “Come with me if you want to live.” (Now, it’s both a Terminator and Chuck reference.) in the quest “The Bookbinder Rescue”.

Kobolds are full of pop culture references.
    Last edited by QuantumFX; 03-01-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • Epic and Legendary Mysterious ring upgrades, please.
    • Change the stack size of filigree in the shared bank to 50. The 5 stack makes the shared bank worthless for storing filigree in a human usable manner.
    • Fixing why I don't connect to the chat server for 5 minutes when I log into a game world.
    • Fixing the wonky Lightning Sphere and Tactical Det firing by converting them to use alchemist spell arcing.
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.

Default Happy happy.

The Crystal Cove Tricorne grants over 9000 skull factor.

It's so nice to see a thread that isn't negative!

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=349143 lists some references to Metal

There is a band named Coal Chamber. I believe they are the inspiration for the name of everyone's favorite Vale quest.

The red-named scorpion in Ataraxia's Haven is named Schenker, the name of the guitar player(s) of the band The Scorpions.
    Last edited by Rinnaldo; 03-01-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: corrected a mistake

a couple were mentioned, but the ddowiki has trivia on various pages...

on the page for the dust quest in the vale:

Trivia
    Several of the Vale quest names are references to song names from ~80s hard rock/heavy metal bands:
    "Running with the Devils" is the first track from Van Halen's 1978 "Van Halen" album.
    "Rainbow in the Dark" is a track and a single from Ronnie James Dio's 1982 "Holy Diver" album.
    "Let Sleeping Dust Lie" is a bit more obscure but most likely a reference to a track from Michael Schenker Group's 1981 album "MSG". The track is titled ""Let Sleeping Dogs Lie"
    One of the mini bosses names is "Kkomglol", When you first hear the DM announce his name it doesn't sound unusual... But break it up and it reads: kk-omg-lol - common netspeak meaning "Okay oh my god I'm laughing out loud".

also, the corpses in part 1 of the shroud are the bodies of the player characters from the old "gauntlet" series.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlugger View Post
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=349143 lists some references to Metal

There is a band named Coal Chamber. I believe they are the inspiration for the name of everyone's favorite Vale quest.
    lol, i need to copy and paste faster!

Community Member

*these are not the shinies you are looking for* (challenge, referencing star wars)

in the Lord of Eyes, the Beholder-Medusa stare contest (after you blast open the gate to khyber)

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnaldo View Post
    The red-named scorpion in Ataraxia's Haven is named Schenker, the name of the lead singer of the band The Scorpions.
    The Scorpion's lead singer is Klaus Meine, Schenker is the surname of the guitar players Rudolph and Michael.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delssar View Post
    Khyber is the worst server (IMHO) for community.

Community Member

The red-named scorpion in Ataraxia's Haven is named Schenker, the name of the lead singer of the band The Scorpions.
    Rudolph Schenker is the guitar player of the Scorps, not the singer(well...he does sing backup). Also, his brother Michael was the lead guitar player of the Scorps when he was 16 but he hasn't played for the Scorps in years. Michael's claim to fame is being the lead guitar player of UFO.

In Wiz King the Boss says "I don't want to die. I'm a god, why can't I live on?" or some variation of that. This is a reference to the song Powerslave from Iron Maiden.

It is clear that at one time DDO employed someone who was a huge metal head. LOL!!!

Natt Gann and his sister, obvious refernece to The Journey of Natty Gann.

So many.... I wouldn't be at all surprised if every single NPC and quest in the game referenced SOMEthing SOMEwhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Would people who have posted mind giving the original reference? I knew about most of these, and "get" them, but the 9000 skull factor hat has always eluded me. It sounded like a reference to something when I first saw it, but I've never been able to place it!

Xy'zzy's bees are also a Simpsons reference:

Burns: I suggest you leave immediately.

Homer: Or what? You’ll release the dogs, or the bees, or the dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you? Well, go ahead—do your worst!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barazon View Post
    Would people who have posted mind giving the original reference? I knew about most of these, and "get" them, but the 9000 skull factor hat has always eluded me. It sounded like a reference to something when I first saw it, but I've never been able to place it!
    Reference to this:

Linky

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast