Default Greater Dispelling Proc/Guard

Greater Dispel (proc version) effect currently exists on 2 items the upgraded version of Vile Blasphemy which carries the Guard effect "Greater Dispel Guard" the other is Divine Vengeance which carries the weapon proc effect "Greater Dispelling" both cast the same Greater Dispel Magic but they cast it at level 1

This means that the effect does not work against spells cast by casters level 9 or higher.

Divine Vengeance's Greater Dispelling effect only comes out on a level 20 Paladin... why? The Guard only appears on level 13 item that drops in a level 17 hard using parts that only drop on hard. Makes me think perhaps this affect is not working as intended
    Irro of Gland

Community Member

I'm not 100% on this, but does dispel also strip off debuffs and DoTs? Can you test for this also?

Concern over that was the main objection to the Divine Vengeance when it was released. If that is the case, then dispelling proc/guard casting at a +0 bonus is maybe not such a bad thing.
    Last edited by porq; 02-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.

I dont have a paladin to test the sword, my conclusion was based on PvP tests that I did with a guildie of mine. Based on those tests I cant see how it could removes dots, but then I suppose it is possible that the dots are coded in such a way to allow this. I'm gonna give it a try in VoD today and see what I gleam.
    Irro of Gland

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

The important one is to determine if a natural 20 counts as a success.

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    The important one is to determine if a natural 20 counts as a success.
    It doesn't, I don't have a screen shot but in the testing I've seen natural 20's are not success and it make sense, checks don't have that clause.
    Irro of Gland

Thanks for the report. We'll look into the issue with the Dispel Guard's caster level.

To clarify, it can only affect spells that we have internally tagged as "beneficial". It will not remove your debuffs, DoT's, or other harmful effects that are already on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Thanks for the report. We'll look into the issue with the Dispel Guard's caster level.

To clarify, it can only affect spells that we have internally tagged as "beneficial". It will not remove your debuffs, DoT's, or other harmful effects that are already on the target.
    I believe It was tested (by the players) and shown to remove them. Anyone want to test this now and see?
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

I just did... you must mean the sword. I too would like someone to test and post the results with the Divine Vengeance's "Greater Dispelling" effect.
    Irro of Gland

As of about 2 weeks ago, the Divine Vengeance proc worked as described in VoD and Reaver (removing "buffs" but not "debuffs").

I did not test it elsewhere, nor against every possible effect to see if any were mis-tagged as the wrong type.

I have not tested the Guard effect version, nor did I pay much mind to the caster level of the effect.

I just wanted to see if it stripped dots and a few other things, which it did not, and I left it at that. Assuming nothing has (intentionally or accidentally) changed since then, and that the effects are all tagged correctly, the effect should be working fine. But the caster level may need adjusting as I did not check it; the sword should certainly cast at level 20 and the guard probably at least 15, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqzor View Post
    As of about 2 weeks ago, the Divine Vengeance proc worked as described in VoD and Reaver (removing "buffs" but not "debuffs").

I did not test it elsewhere, nor against every possible effect to see if any were mis-tagged as the wrong type.

I have not tested the Guard effect version, nor did I pay much mind to the caster level of the effect.

I just wanted to see if it stripped dots and a few other things, which it did not, and I left it at that. Assuming nothing has (intentionally or accidentally) changed since then, and that the effects are all tagged correctly, the effect should be working fine. But the caster level may need adjusting as I did not check it; the sword should certainly cast at level 20 and the guard probably at least 15, imho.
    In VoD the raid boss is immune to lvl 4 spells and below, if its really casting at lvl 0 then hes totally immune to it, you wont even seen it proc, all you'll get is the immunity sparks that happen whenever something is immune to an effect. It might show up in your combat. Im not really sure what kinda buffs the reaver uses or suulo for that matter.
    Irro of Gland

Quote Originally Posted by Will_Ferrer View Post
    In VoD the raid boss is immune to lvl 4 spells and below, if its really casting at lvl 0 then hes totally immune to it, you wont even seen it proc, all you'll get is the immunity sparks that happen whenever something is immune to an effect. It might show up in your combat. Im not really sure what kinda buffs the reaver uses or suulo for that matter.
    Yes, I know how VoD works hehe. There's mobs in VoD besides Sully; same for Reaver. Some of them self-buff, and it was easy to cast Prayer from the testing paladin to ensure at least one debuff to check against; but of course other players were adding debuffs as well.

As stated, I did not use an exhaustive list, but in all cases it did work as advertised (from the sword). That doesn't mean that the CL isn't too low, only that it was high enough to work on some occasions. Nor does it mean the Guard effect is working, as I am not able to test that. But the sword at least is (or was, if something changed) working properly. Even though its caster level may or may not be correct, the tagging on what to dispel and what to keep is, for the sample I was able to look at, working as intended.

If I have time, I'll try to check the CL, but between scheduling and trying to work on a TR and guild events and other things I make no promises. Its an easy thing to check, anyone with a sword on a lv20 paladin should feel free to beat me to it.