Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Why won't my level 20 cleric hireling heal themselves in battle?

You would think by the time they got to level 20 they would learn to keep their HP up in battle.

My level 20 cleric hireling is useless, he keeps dying in any halfway tough encounter.

Sure, I could place him somewhere at some range from each encounter...ibut I shoudln't have to do that each time. Cleric hirelings should at least be smart enough to try to keep themselves alive.

This has been happening for a very long time across many updates, and it seems the level 20 cleric Wyoh is especially vulnerable.

Without the ability to even TRY to stay alive, they're nearly worthless.

/rant off

I loved when the devs said that they saw the hirelings working very well.

Tell that to my poor computer monitor who gets covered in spittle and yelled at when i'm screaming "HEAL ME!! HEAL YOU!! HEAL ME!"

Community Member

Default Follow up question about combat log..how'd the cleric hireling die so fast THIS time?

Ok so I bought me a Favored Soul to come along...

Next encounter Cleric bought it ASAP and FVS and I lasted a long time before wipe.

I wanted to see what killed the cleric hireling but apparently only my damage was listed in the combat log? Did I miss a combat log setting for either who to show or how long to show?

I don't mind wasting the 40 TP this one time on the FVS because the Cleric was nonfunctional, but I remember thiws happening awhile back and my giving up on many healer hirelings back then, and I think I won't be spending TP on high level healer hirelings again for awhile. Clerics don't self heal and FVS' burn through their spell points.

What I need is the ability to have more than one in-game vendor hireling so I can take an FVS to res my cleric hireling when needed. Perhaps some favor unlock of store-bought option to have more than one vendor-bought hirelings in game?

Quote Originally Posted by somenewnoob View Post
    I loved when the devs said that they saw the hirelings working very well.
    In fairness - I imagine the AI code for hirelings is "somewhat" complex. To be honest I'm impressed that it works as well as it does (heck, there's actual PLAYER clerics that can't heal themselves in battle half the time )
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Quote Originally Posted by PNellesen View Post
    In fairness - I imagine the AI code for hirelings is "somewhat" complex. To be honest I'm impressed that it works as well as it does (heck, there's actual PLAYER clerics that can't heal themselves in battle half the time )
    lol true!

I just imagine if I was sitting down with a cleric hire asking him why he would say.......but Noob........we're all BATTLE CLERICS!

>.<

See my signature..
    That's really all that needs to be said.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    >.<

See my signature..
    That's really all that needs to be said.
    I was in that convo with the dev when that was posted.

On a more serious note, regarding your sig, when do I get my castle, so I don't have to leave it w/out the stuff in your guide???

Community Member

It's probably just as well, because judging from other threads, healing himself while in battle would be OP...

Cleric hirelings I've used above level 10 seem to be mostly useless. They will get into a situation where they're taking damage, scream "Someone should heal me now", then die.

They're clerics. They're supposed to be able to heal themselves, not stand idly by while they and I die in a simple combat situation.

*sigh*

So much for wasting plat on hirelings after level 10. ...and I won't, absolutely won't, waste TP on hirelings at any level.
    Once upon a time, I was part of a team, and we saved some children. That was long ago and far away, and, yes, I am that old.

I'm no programmer, but it seems like a simple thing to make a priority list whn it comes to healing for AI:

Priority 1: Heal yourself when at 50% health or lower (this doesn't mean chugging pots unecessarily like an alcoholic)

Priority 2: Heal party member with the least HP if not yourself

Priority 3: Then heal party member with the next lowest HP (and so on down the line)

Priority 4: Do not heal summoned creatures unless manually told to do so

Priority 5: Never heal charmed creatures

Priorities 1-3 shoud be able to be overridden with a manual command from the employer. Sometimes you might want a certain person healed before another.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Community Member

I am almost certain they have 0 points in Concentration. I wish they had the same ability as the mobs to cast spells without concentration checks.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

I use the Cleric hireling Wyoh a lot,and she is a cranky sort. I have developed some techniques to protect her from herself, which then leaves her more time to throw heals my way. There are times when I just have to set her on passive and tell her not to move from a spot to keep her from running into the next room and aggro-ing a large mob of monsters, which I then have to kill to keep her from dieing. And, I also have to keep an eye on her HP, because she frequently forgets that she was hired to heal, herself as well as me.
    Snarly Dwarf Chick With A Great Axe

IMO a major part of it is not having quicken.. so they try to cast but get it disrupted & appear to be doing nothing.

The level 20 favoured soul isn't too bad though, and at least it appears that he has the 10/whatever dr capstone which helps to boost his survivability.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PNellesen View Post
    Except YEARS AND YEARS ago, guys wrote 'bots' for doom, which dodged, fought smart, used items to keep health up, and basically had some self preservation going on. And these 'bots' were liek 200-300 kb in code(if that)

So whats the issue here?

Community Member

Um, what about just giving the higher level healers the Quicken Feat and having it turned on for all healing spells. 10 extra SP for a guaranteed heal/mass heal is a trade off that everyone I know would make in a heartbeat.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    I'm no programmer, but it seems like a simple thing to make a priority list whn it comes to healing for AI:

Priority 1: Heal yourself when at 50% health or lower (this doesn't mean chugging pots unecessarily like an alcoholic)

Priority 2: Heal party member with the least HP if not yourself

Priority 3: Then heal party member with the next lowest HP (and so on down the line)

Priority 4: Do not heal summoned creatures unless manually told to do so

Priority 5: Never heal charmed creatures

Priorities 1-3 shoud be able to be overridden with a manual command from the employer. Sometimes you might want a certain person healed before another.
    The funny part about this is all they would have to do is flip their current list upsidedown to get this result.

But.. if they healed people properly they would not have time to do more important things like:
    -Stand in traps and take damage
    -Run into middle of a enemy groups and hit with their mace for 5 hp of damage.
    -Jump into nearest pool of lava
    -Heal charmed creatures at highest priority
    -When someone is at 50 hp out of 800 left cast a cure for 30 hp.
    -Stand still and do nothing
    -Cast that light spell for 30 damage
    -Say "Will do" and not do anything
    -Die for no reason

there is Zero reason for hirelings to not have quicken
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Fernando has yet to even suggest a nerf of anything.
    Oh and by the way (referring to your sig), we aren't nerfing the Torc.

Why won't my level 20 cleric hireling heal themselves in battle?

Well, generally these things go back to childhood; perhaps an abusive parent or being overshadowed by friends or a sibling. These sorts of things lead to a lack of selfworth and can lead, if not properly treated, to the individual allowing life to overcome them or even, in extreme cases to suicide later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lifespawn View Post
    there is Zero reason for hirelings to not have quicken
    I don't usually take it until my last possible feat. It's mostly a waste of SP until high level where you can get hit hard enough to be able to fail a concentration check.

Anyway, yeah, seen hirelings stand around a lot, they seem to click back into sanity after you give them an order. Artificer pets on the other hand seem to go off into their own little world and will move to mobs to attack but then just stand there doing nothing. You have to unsummon them (by adding your health bar to party then finding the magical spot in the sp portion of it that will activate the menu when you click it, because clicking your main health bar and using the dismiss pet there does nothing still), then resummon them to get their little brains to reboot and act properly. This of course blows away all the ship buffs you gave them, as does logging out or getting DCed or the frequent game crashes, making one wonder why pets don't simply get the same ship buffs the master has.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast