Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My Light Monk has .....

335% heal amp. - Kmm's Bard's scroll hit me for 648, lesser silver flame 368 as examples.

Many shot, Thousand stars, slayer arrows, Bow of Sinew(x5 crit mult in earth stance) and an Epic Thornlord (x4 crit in earth stance)

Over 500 HP (varies depending on what I'm doing normally 541 in earth stance.)

48 DC Stunning fist with 40 strength depending on Stances.

To Hit ranges from 44 to 54 using bows or fists depending on gear swaps and stances.

All with no temp buffs, cookies or yugo pots etc.

If anyone is interested then feel free to ask. I can't be bothered doing the whole this is my build thing. I can be MyDDO'd so ill leave the obvious gear on when I next log out. (Sifutam)

Fun Character - Top ranged dps, guild raid buffs, epic no miss stuns, above average dps, fast and easy self heals.
    Last edited by xxScoobyDooxx; 01-17-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Flashious, Slashious, Bashious, Delushous, SifuTam Toustious, Sneakious
    Officer - Templar - Cannith

My monk out-dpses your monk.

Soaked/Soaking/Zecks/Zeckshealer - Cannith
    Soaked's build

Quote Originally Posted by freekay View Post
    My monk out-dpses your monk.
    nah your only a D17 and im a D20 muhahahahahhahha

Oh, I have eThorn already Kmn pulled the shard yesterday on our eDQ1 run

Soaked's build

Oh, I have eThorn already Kmn pulled the shard yesterday on our eDQ1 run
    Serious? ... gratz dude ... I just got my claw gloves scroll finally so Im now maxed on my heal amp. I think my toon is finished gear wise now.

Your both's monks are garbage.

Oh.. and please explain, how have I managed to pull the aggro in ToD on my rog, with SB on, while giving you >10 seconds to build it?
    Server: Cannith
    Mains: Miahoo, Miahoorog, Miahoohealer, Miahoohjeal, Miahoopuke

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

I'm surprised that you didn't go dark monk for +3d6 sneak attack, shadow fade and water walk. Why did you choose light monk instead?

I'd love to hear more feedback on this build and how it plays at level 20 as I've planned something quite similar (and already have almost all the gear even though it is 2 lives away).

Why cape of the roc over wretched twilight or another cloak? Did you burst both of your rings? Why not epic ring of the stalker? Thornlord has such a good crit profile it'd be a shame not to have seeker somewhere. Does Oremi's set apply to bows?

This is my build which is quite similar apart from being wisdom based instead. I'd love to hear some feedback on it, particularly the gear layout.

Are you aware that initial testing indicates that wisdom based would give higher DPS overall? Can you take some time out of your day to do some testing for the community and add it to Diyon's thread?

What's your ranged/melee proportion looking like so far? 1/4 melee, 3/4 ranged?

my monk is bigger than your monk! :P
    R.I.P. Devourer - 20-Aug-2010 11:00 GMT(+1 DST)
    (World Broadcast): World broadcast: 'Farewell to all our loyal players and thank you for your time in Eberron. We wish you all the best for your future adventures. Please log out now as the servers are now going down. Many thanks, Codemasters Online.'

***Ghallanda Rerolled*** *Yvonnel-1* "Peinlicher" Sylestria-1 Jarlaxle-1 Sammaster-1 Zapp-1
    formerly Dorn / Devourer - EU

My Monk uses Fernian Wraps and Devotion and is currently level 4.

He has completed all of Korthos Island on elite with no deaths.

PM me if you need build info.

In seriousness...I want to learn how to play monk.

I mean I do not understand the Ki, and finishers and strikes and stuff. I try to play monk and I end up playing it like a Dual-wielder that punches things and drinks pots.

I have NO idea how to make my stuff work.

Maybe I should just make a STR based WF MNK and beat stuff to death and drink Repair pots?

Is there a post/thread on *HOW to PLAY* MNK? Not build...*PLAY*. I have partied with monks that make me go WOW. But I just seems to struggle with it.

BTW I play Spell-Casters usually...if that helps at all...
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

@Bacab

Same here mate!
    I rolled one months ago, and quit it after korthos. I might roll another one soon and try it again.

Anyway, this might help ya: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=323014
    Server: Cannith
    Mains: Miahoo, Miahoorog, Miahoohealer, Miahoohjeal, Miahoopuke

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

This has some nice pics for *how-to* use finishers.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=263737
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

12. 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    I'm surprised that you didn't go dark monk for +3d6 sneak attack, shadow fade and water walk. Why did you choose light monk instead?
    I have been Dark monk on this toon 5 times now. I have had shadow fade and sneak attack. I am Half elf .. I have rogue dille so I still get sneak attack. I raid with a top guild. Light monk buffs are essential in many raids and add more overall value to many rather than a potential slight dps increase to one monster.

I'd love to hear more feedback on this build and how it plays at level 20 as I've planned something quite similar (and already have almost all the gear even though it is 2 lives away).
    Once you've many shot slayer'd you'll never go back. I can thousand starts and immediately many shot and the 3 seconds after many shot thousand stars again for unreal continuous DPS. I hit over 40 Wisdom and have Zen archery.

Why cape of the roc over wretched twilight or another cloak? Did you burst both of your rings? Why not epic ring of the stalker? Thornlord has such a good crit profile it'd be a shame not to have seeker somewhere. Does Oremi's set apply to bows?.
    Epic roc is +3 exceptional strength. Both TOD rings are Holy and shocking burst. Nowhere else to get exception strength easily.

This is my build which is quite similar apart from being wisdom based instead. I'd love to hear some feedback on it, particularly the gear layout.
    I am wisdom/Strength build. Check my DDO for an idea on some of my gear.

Are you aware that initial testing indicates that wisdom based would give higher DPS overall? Can you take some time out of your day to do some testing for the community and add it to Diyon's thread?
    I hit over 40 Wisdom it needed in Water stance and gear swaps.

What's your ranged/melee proportion looking like so far? 1/4 melee, 3/4 ranged?
    Depends on the quest/raid and how lazy I'm feeling. Trash I use wraps (Alchemical earth/air) and bosses I use many shot rotation then wraps as a general idea.
    Last edited by xxScoobyDooxx; 01-18-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo's

14. 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM

Reason
    trolling

15. 01-18-2012, 10:30 PM

Reason
    trolling

16. 01-18-2012, 10:34 PM

Reason
    trolling

17. 01-18-2012, 10:40 PM

Reason
    trolling

18. 01-18-2012, 10:44 PM

Reason
    trolling

Quote Originally Posted by xxScoobyDooxx View Post
    I have been Dark monk on this toon 5 times now. I have had shadow fade and sneak attack. I am Half elf .. I have rogue dille so I still get sneak attack. I raid with a top guild. Light monk buffs are essential in many raids and add more overall value to many rather than a potential slight dps increase to one monster.
    Sneak attack can hit multiple monsters if using IPS within range. In theory, I also value the Static Charge and Porous Soul abilities for adding additional raid DPS (as usual dark monks wouldn't use these abilities as they share a cooldown with ToD while my build wouldn't include ToD). I also value Water Walk for Abbot. Yes, Light Monk buffs are valuable for a few raids but honestly I'd prefer this style of character less for raiding and more for epic quests/challenges which is where I think it would really shine.

Once you've many shot slayer'd you'll never go back. I can thousand starts and immediately many shot and the 3 seconds after many shot thousand stars again for unreal continuous DPS. I hit over 40 Wisdom and have Zen archery.
    That's the plan, I've had slayer arrows and manyshot before, I know that it's fun

Epic roc is +3 exceptional strength. Both TOD rings are Holy and shocking burst. Nowhere else to get exception strength easily.
    I think my plan is to have epic stalker ring on right finger and swap between a holy bursted ring while in melee and a +2 exceptional strength ring while in archery mode. Yes, I know how valuable epic roc cape is, I have one on my unarmed rogue build but I don't think that this build gets enough value out of it compared to an upgraded Wretched Twilight which gives +8 sneak attack and subtle strike (to avoid pulling aggro with manyshot). I also hear that ghostly now effects ranged weapons?

I am wisdom/Strength build. Check my DDO for an idea on some of my gear.
    I did and from what I can piece together you have started with ~16 in strength and wisdom and put level ups into strength. If level ups had gone into wisdom you'd have ended up with more overall DPS and better stunning fist DCs (if Diyon's thread is right and my guesses about your stats are correct).

I hit over 40 Wisdom it needed in Water stance and gear swaps.
    But you've put your MinII item in your helm slot excluding use of the only +7 wisdom item in the game - epic Helm of Mroranon. This is a pretty significant difference (I've gone for the +7 wisdom item in my gear layout though I bet one'll be in the next update, it's high time afterall).

Depends on the quest/raid and how lazy I'm feeling. Trash I use wraps (Alchemical earth/air) and bosses I use many shot rotation then wraps as a general idea.
    You didn't take stunning fist then? Stunning Fist is a cornerstone of my build concept as it gives you an effective strategy to deal with the trash that you aggro as it approaches you. Still, I do love the theory of Earthgrab/Greater Stone Prison on the Earth Alchemical Wraps but not sure how effective it would be in practice.

I think my plan is to have epic stalker ring on right finger and swap between a holy bursted ring while in melee and a +2 exceptional strength ring while in archery mode. Yes, I know how valuable epic roc cape is, I have one on my unarmed rogue build but I don't think that this build gets enough value out of it compared to an upgraded Wretched Twilight which gives +8 sneak attack and subtle strike (to avoid pulling aggro with manyshot). I also hear that ghostly now effects ranged weapons?
    You miss shocking burst damage then and have lower strength so lower damage for 100% fort bosses

I did and from what I can piece together you have started with ~16 in strength and wisdom and put level ups into strength. If level ups had gone into wisdom you'd have ended up with more overall DPS and better stunning fist DCs (if Diyon's thread is right and my guesses about your stats are correct).
    Read carefully grasshopper ... I have stunning fist and I get a 48DC for it in water stance. Anything over 45 stuns all mobs on a 2 in epic. So I have epic stunning DC's and over 40 strength for better to hit. More wisdom for more DC's is a waste.

But you've put your MinII item in your helm slot excluding use of the only +7 wisdom item in the game - epic Helm of Mroranon. This is a pretty significant difference (I've gone for the +7 wisdom item in my gear layout though I bet one'll be in the next update, it's high time afterall).
    I have epic Mroranon but it makes my Wis odd and also creates a problem with where to put my GS HP item. I ate a +3 wis tome instead of the helm.

You didn't take stunning fist then? Stunning Fist is a cornerstone of my build concept as it gives you an effective strategy to deal with the trash that you aggro as it approaches you. Still, I do love the theory of Earthgrab/Greater Stone Prison on the Earth Alchemical Wraps but not sure how effective it would be in practice.
    I did and its in the OP right where I mention my SF DC... cornerstone of my build as well.
    Last edited by xxScoobyDooxx; 01-19-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: added a :)

21. 01-19-2012, 03:45 AM

Reason
    trolling

22. 01-19-2012, 04:16 AM

Reason
    trolling

You miss shocking burst damage then and have lower strength so lower damage for 100% fort bosses
    100% Fort Bosses like Abbot? I think for these I'd have a unique item setup just for them. For Devil Bosses I think with Alchemical Air/Air/Air (or Air/Water/Air) and Epic Stalker Ring (as shocking burst doesn't stack with alchemical air wraps) you'll end up with more DPS (though possibly cannith crafted anarchic burst silver threaded +5 handwraps of greater lawful outsider bane are more DPS). I also don't see a sneak attack item or a seeker item in your gear layout which'll hurt DPS (though maybe I missed it).

Read carefully grasshopper ... I have stunning fist and I get a 48DC for it in water stance. Anything over 45 stuns all mobs on a 2 in epic. So I have epic stunning DC's and over 40 strength for better to hit. More wisdom for more DC's is a waste.

I did and its in the OP right where I mention my SF DC... cornerstone of my build as well.
    This isn't my experience. In particular, orange named mobs often have quite high fort saves. I was just a bit confused as you mention using Earth Alchemical Wraps which I wouldn't think would give you a 48 stunning fist DC (though if it does I'd love to see the figures).

I have epic Mroranon but it makes my Wis odd and also creates a problem with where to put my GS HP item. I ate a +3 wis tome instead of the helm.
    Do you have Monk Wisdom III? If you do, I'd be dropping it for the Helm, if you don't, I'd be taking it and equipping the helm, it's +3% DPS which is more than any other option, or at least Diyon's figures suggest that.

Where are you getting the idea that Wis = DPS? Stunning fist? Woofriggenhoo. The day I see a purple named being stunned with stunning blow/fist is the day I'll contemplate bothering with wisdom. Running around, and stunning trash mobs, sure it's handy, but a decent Wizard would have it fingered by the time the mob's health is at 10%. In the case of SR mobs like drow, their fort saves (and HP for that matter) are so rediculously low that a stun DC of 43 is pretty close to no-fail.

I can achieve a stun DC of 43 on Soaked currently (47 if I equip an epic sparehand), but my Wis will be in the low 21s still. On the other hand, my str will be floating between 56 and 60 (cannith infusion dependent). Last time I checked, Str was the modifier for damage <_< Either that or I can just run epics with SifuTam and wait for him to stun a mob and then beat down on it... I'll still be doing more DPS then <_<

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, your magical Diyon is not the be-all and end-all of monk builds.

Soaked's build

Where are you getting the idea that Wis = DPS? Stunning fist? Woofriggenhoo. The day I see a purple named being stunned with stunning blow/fist is the day I'll contemplate bothering with wisdom. Running around, and stunning trash mobs, sure it's handy, but a decent Wizard would have it fingered by the time the mob's health is at 10%. In the case of SR mobs like drow, their fort saves (and HP for that matter) are so rediculously low that a stun DC of 43 is pretty close to no-fail.

I can achieve a stun DC of 43 on Soaked currently (47 if I equip an epic sparehand), but my Wis will be in the low 21s still. On the other hand, my str will be floating between 56 and 60 (cannith infusion dependent). Last time I checked, Str was the modifier for damage <_< Either that or I can just run epics with SifuTam and wait for him to stun a mob and then beat down on it... I'll still be doing more DPS then <_<

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, your magical Diyon is not the be-all and end-all of monk builds.
    Agh, always people mouthing off that have no idea about game mechanics ...

10,000 Stars enhancement has Bren changed to be usable with bows and gives extra arrows based on your wisdom modifier. Higher wisdom = more attacks/second = more DPS. Diyon (and some other people) have generously given up some of their time to try to figure out exactly how the wisdom modifier effects DPS. Initial testing (only a few samples so far though) indicates that each point of wisdom modifier will equate to +3% DPS overall which, if the conclusions are correct, makes wisdom a better stat to invest in than strength for a character that plans to use bows about 3/4s of the time (manyshot->10 secs of melee or ranged->10k stars->30'secs melee->10k stars->manyshot etc).

Still, I don't know if Diyon's conclusions are correct which is why I suggested to the OP that he could contribute to the thread with some results of his own (maybe 1 set with min wisdom, 1 set with max).

100% Fort Bosses like Abbot? I think for these I'd have a unique item setup just for them. For Devil Bosses I think with Alchemical Air/Air/Air (or Air/Water/Air) and Epic Stalker Ring (as shocking burst doesn't stack with alchemical air wraps) you'll end up with more DPS (though possibly cannith crafted anarchic burst silver threaded +5 handwraps of greater lawful outsider bane are more DPS). I also don't see a sneak attack item or a seeker item in your gear layout which'll hurt DPS (though maybe I missed it).
    You have heard of gear swapping right? and you do understand tht I use more than one set of wraps, rings and trinkets etc? I have bloodstone, bow of sinew, seeker 6 pirate hat and other items which I swap in as necessary.

This isn't my experience. In particular, orange named mobs often have quite high fort saves. I was just a bit confused as you mention using Earth Alchemical Wraps which I wouldn't think would give you a 48 stunning fist DC (though if it does I'd love to see the figures).
    I didn't think I needed to spell it out but I have more than the gear on myddo. I have +10 stunning wraps and an epic spare hand belt that I can use. I swap to water stance swap some gear and I can stun with a 48DC. I can effectively stun in all stances and even without +10 wraps I can still get a 38DC which stuns a lot of trash. But for the record I don't do a lot of stunning these days as mostly I am using my bow or passing out buffs in a raid or beating on the boss.

Do you have Monk Wisdom III? If you do, I'd be dropping it for the Helm, if you don't, I'd be taking it and equipping the helm, it's +3% DPS which is more than any other option, or at least Diyon's figures suggest that.
    I have no idea how you relate wisdom and % increase in DPS ... are you relating this to higher wisdom and thousand stars increased arrows? There is a random proc thrown in so the number of arrows is random. You can get unlucky and have a string of single arrows even if you had 44 wisdom. It is not reliable DPS but once you've used it for a while you'll see what I mean.

Using 6 AP's for 1 wisdom on a build where I have zero spare AP's was a waste ... there is a cost to everything. More wisdom meant less something else. It means not having 3 tier 3 stances. Once you've played for a while and especially in a high end raiding guild you will learn that is not all about DPS on every toon. Support toons and specialist toons are more important than and extra single percent dps. If I halve all the caster/divines SP use think how useful that is in Epic LOB.

It seems like you are focussing to much on maxing out one thing. You will learn over time what works and what doesn't. This is an epic raid utility build. It can do many things very well and is sort after by raiding parties. It is fun to play because of this. It is a second life TR and has had 10+ LR's trying all the different Monk options. I am lucky enough to have almost every piece of epic gear a monk could use so I am speaking from experience and not paper theory.

But each to their own .... I will no doubt change this around again one day after I have played him a bit more, dropping what I don't use and trying something else.
    Last edited by xxScoobyDooxx; 01-19-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Thought I'd also mention ......

I get 3's and 7's using heal curse which mean on bosses I almost need no healing.

I also solo'd Velah in Evon6 last night during the eggs phase with no one healing me. Just needed the odd minor sf pot.

The self healing of this toon is one of the coolest parts so far playing him. As long as I concentrate it is almost impossible to die.

You have heard of gear swapping right? and you do understand tht I use more than one set of wraps, rings and trinkets etc? I have bloodstone, bow of sinew, seeker 6 pirate hat and other items which I swap in as necessary.
    When you don't provide an actual character build it's very difficult to make any assumptions. You mention more than once that you use tier 1 earth wraps which directly conflicted with you mentioning repeatedly that you have a DC 48 stunning fist DC. The two don't add up, I was seeking clarification.

Seeker 6 pirate hat and bloodstone are both inferior options for seeker compared to an epic stalker ring considering other options that can be put in there (in your case MinII hat and in general LotD).

But for the record I don't do a lot of stunning these days as mostly I am using my bow or passing out buffs in a raid or beating on the boss.
    This is great to know! Thanks for this vital feedback on the game play.

I have no idea how you relate wisdom and % increase in DPS ... are you relating this to higher wisdom and thousand stars increased arrows? There is a random proc thrown in so the number of arrows is random. You can get unlucky and have a string of single arrows even if you had 44 wisdom. It is not reliable DPS but once you've used it for a while you'll see what I mean.
    Firstly, Diyon's figures suggest a linear progression of +3% DPS per point of wisdom modifier. I'm slightly suspicious that more samples will show a different progression but the this is what we have to work with so far. If it is true that it gives +3% DPS then it is a better investment than putting level ups into strength. Secondly, suggesting that 10k stars isn't a reliable source of DPS because it is random is stupid. Sure, you only get slayer arrows when you roll a 20 but you still equate that to +25 damage per shot as that is what it averages out to (in raid DPS situations anyway which is the main place that it matters).

Using 6 AP's for 1 wisdom on a build where I have zero spare AP's was a waste ... there is a cost to everything. More wisdom meant less something else. It means not having 3 tier 3 stances. Once you've played for a while and especially in a high end raiding guild you will learn that is not all about DPS on every toon. Support toons and specialist toons are more important than and extra single percent dps. If I halve all the caster/divines SP use think how useful that is in Epic LOB.
    I am in a high end raiding guild.

I absolutely get that there is a cost to everything and possible enhancement layouts can make and break some builds but if you don't provide your enhancement layout then it is only possible for me to make broad statements like I have done. Off the top of my head, it seems that you have 3 stances at tier 3 - I don't see the point, neither fire nor air is needed at all. Also, you have probably invested significantly in monk healing amplification and maybe human healing amplification. I love hearing about the 3's and 7's you get from healing curse so I can certainly see the value there but there are at least some options there (depending on priorities).

It seems like you are focussing to much on maxing out one thing. You will learn over time what works and what doesn't. This is an epic raid utility build. It can do many things very well and is sort after by raiding parties. It is fun to play because of this. It is a second life TR and has had 10+ LR's trying all the different Monk options. I am lucky enough to have almost every piece of epic gear a monk could use so I am speaking from experience and not paper theory.
    I'm not speaking from paper theory either, my monk is currently on an unarmed rogue life and has basically all the gear I could possibly want for him (beyond LotD, a specific ToD ring and a couple more U12 items).

I also love utility builds. I can totally get sacrificing a little bit of DPS for added utility (like you did with going light path) and I definitely respect that and just wanted to hear a sound reasoning for it (which you've given me, thank you).

But each to their own .... I will no doubt change this around again one day after I have played him a bit more, dropping what I don't use and trying something else.
    Cool! I hope to hear about it

This is all excellent food for my own thought processes on my monkcher build which is the next big project that I will be starting on shortly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast