Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Forums logout issues

I've pretty much reached the boiling point with these dang forums and thought I should ask about this instead of continuing to suffer through it thinking they might change sometime.

Is anyone else getting logged out if they don't constantly post? I'm sitting here logged in, reading a thread, I go to make a reply to it and am brought to a Login screen. I login, then it blinks and brings be back to the SAME login screen except my username/password are blanked out. I enter it in a second time and I'm logged in, but now it doesn't know what thread I was in and i'm back to the main forum page.

I have to constantly navigate, constantly login...twice.. It's pretty frustrating.

So with these new forums, is there some control panel somewhere that I'm not seeing that has some settings that will make it so that I can log in ONCE for at least 15 minutes worth of reading before it logs me out again. And on top of that, is there something I can do so that when I log in I only have to do it once and it will remember what thread i'm trying to reply to??????

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Have you tried logging in through MyDDO instead of directly to the forums? It works for me, at least, haven't gotten logged out since.
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

This is something we're investigating. The inactivity time out is *supposed* to be 30 minutes, but we've seen it timing out sooner than that. Until we can get it fixed, a few things that may help:
    - Keeping multiple tabs of the forums open seems to increase the issue (we believe it may be due to the forum not properly recognizing that you are active in another tab while it is counting down in another)
    - Please note that reading a page or typing in a text box do not count as "activity". If you are reading a very long discussion or writing a very long post, keep that in mind so you don't lose your place if you hit the time out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    This is something we're investigating. The inactivity time out is *supposed* to be 30 minutes, but we've seen it timing out sooner than that. Until we can get it fixed, a few things that may help:
    - Keeping multiple tabs of the forums open seems to increase the issue (we believe it may be due to the forum not properly recognizing that you are active in another tab while it is counting down in another)
    - Please note that reading a page or typing in a text box do not count as "activity". If you are reading a very long discussion or writing a very long post, keep that in mind so you don't lose your place if you hit the time out.
    What about the in game browser Tolero? Impossible to file bug reports without alt-tabbing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    What about the in game browser Tolero? Impossible to file bug reports without alt-tabbing out.
    Aye.....MyDDO logs me out often (but not always) after I try and join any lottos. And once logged out I cannot relog in within the browser.
    Chelos - TRing multiclassing support
    One of the top scorers of the 2011 and 2012 PAX EAST challenge and winner of 2 Lifetime memberships to DDO.
    "S" of Team BAS (2011)

yes, me too.

and i have to log in 2-3 times sometimes when it redirects to the login page.

habit of ctrl-c everything before posting i guess is the only thing to do.

Community Member bradleyforrest's Avatar

This is something we're investigating. The inactivity time out is *supposed* to be 30 minutes, but we've seen it timing out sooner than that.
    Why have a timeout at all when you have a "Remember me" box for logging in?

Why is there at all a function that logs you out of the forums if you are inactive? That is just a bad bad idea on a forum.

Community Member

Just log in through MyDDO and check the 'Remember Me' box and navigate back to the forums.

I know it isn't an intuitive or obvious solution, but it does work. No more 5 minute sessions. I'm kind of surprised Tolero didn't mention this when replying. Afaik, its the only workaround we have right now.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by porq View Post
    Just log in through MyDDO and check the 'Remember Me' box and navigate back to the forums.

I know it isn't an intuitive or obvious solution, but it does work. No more 5 minute sessions. I'm kind of surprised Tolero didn't mention this when replying. Afaik, its the only workaround we have right now.
    Yeah it works quite well...I haven't been logged out since (although doon't take my word for it because I don't seem to be affected by the game breaking lag either...and I've had my 360 since launch...no red ring)

Oh and I don't know if it's only because my mind is in the gutter but your Avatar is very suggestive
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 11-21-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    Why is there at all a function that logs you out of the forums if you are inactive? That is just a bad bad idea on a forum.
    Answer: The lotro forums.
    Why? They don't have separate forums and game accounts there. You log in with your game account name. Which hacksadently, got hacked and your data got stolen.

We don't want the lotro forums, we don't need the lotro forums. Keep that @#%@%!#$%^!##!$%315#!%!#$%!#$%#!%@$%^@$%!#$%Y&&#%T #!$%#E$%!#GSERTE$T$R@ **** dump of garbage interface away from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Answer: The lotro forums.
    Why? They don't have separate forums and game accounts there. You log in with your game account name. Which hacksadently, got hacked and your data got stolen.

We don't want the lotro forums, we don't need the lotro forums. Keep that @#%@%!#$%^!##!$%315#!%!#$%!#$%#!%@$%^@$%!#$%Y&&#%T #!$%#E$%!#GSERTE$T$R@ **** dump of garbage interface away from here.
    What She(?) said...we'll trade it for the character creation & visual equipment overlay thing ok
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Same issue here, and it is inconvenient. Glad some admin types are looking into it. I'm trying that MyDDO trick at the moment and so far it's working correctly.

The one thing I take away from the problem is that it is best to copy a reply and paste it to Notepad before clicking the Submit Reply button. Just in case!

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    What She(?) said...we'll trade it for the character creation & visual equipment overlay thing ok
    Oh? Lotro's in game closet and clothing system? Would love to have that on DDO side instead of the cosmetic over priced garbage we were given.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Oh? Lotro's in game closet and clothing system? Would love to have that on DDO side instead of the cosmetic over priced garbage we were given.
    I'd even be ok if we had to spend 100-200TP per slot to obtain it (account wide unlock)

ie. Pay 100TP for cosmetic head slot for entire account

Also I really want the height/build sliders from the char creations (the increased amount of available colors/styles would help too) that would do ALOT for having characters look different.

Please Devs give us just the one answer...Are you allowed to borrow ideas/code from LOTRO or is that taboo so there's absolutely no chance we'll see a similar system simply cause they (being Turbine which = you) did it first. I know its not a simple copy+paste of code but wouldn't it be easier than coding an entirely new system?

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyforrest View Post
    Why have a timeout at all when you have a "Remember me" box for logging in?
    Keeping people logged in means maintaining session data. They are trying to speed up performance by logging out inactive browser sessions and clearing that data.

"Remember me" is a different issue where your login information is stored on a cookie and when you revisit the forum the information is either used to log you in automatically or simply prefill the login screen, depending on how it's set up.

Logging people out for inactivity reduces server resources. But the way it's been done is fairly well borked.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

I sympathize with everyone having this problem. It was driving me crazy logging me out every few minutes, even in the middle of typing! Thankfully, someone found the MYDDO trick. However, it is ridiculous that you have to do that to stay logged in.

Bless you for the MYDDO suggestion. I have been quietly fueling a rage every time I have to relogin twice, find the thread I was just on so that I could post a reply.

This makes life so much simpler now, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by porq View Post

This doesn't work with the in-game browser, which renders it useless and even logout of myddo at random.
    Using the home button logs you back but you then have to navigate to where you were again.

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    "Remember me" is a different issue where your login information is stored on a cookie and when you revisit the forum the information is either used to log you in automatically or simply prefill the login screen, depending on how it's set up.

Logging people out for inactivity reduces server resources. But the way it's been done is fairly well borked.
    There's a good point in that the "remember me" logs you back, and is a function that shouldn't go missing.

Apart of that i believe vbulletin is fairly good at handling sessions, i think it's one of the selling points of vbulletin.
    Logging people out is supposedly more about keeping your session safe than for actual performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Oh and I don't know if it's only because my mind is in the gutter but your Avatar is very suggestive
    I don't see how that Avatar is suggestive at all. It just looks like breakfast to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast