Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Got a pair for 20k pp off the AH the other day. Very nice stuff. Kinda ugly though.

Quote Originally Posted by hi_sa1nt View Post
    Got a pair for 20k pp off the AH the other day. Very nice stuff. Kinda ugly though.
    U can use an armor kit on them to spruce them up. Lots to choose from and some are very cheap in the DDO store (especially when on sale)...

TR'd yesterday. So far this build rocks (I am lev 5) Mowed through at-level elite harbour and market quests with no issues so far. It has been a while since I have leveled up a low level toon, I have to say at level elite quests are only a shadow of what they once were. They used to be a lot harder, LOL. Part of the reason is yes, I have good twink gear and I am an experienced player, but still, a lot easier than back when the cap was lev 10

As a Helf this time around (first life was a drow), I especially like having separate haste boost and damage boost enhancements and being able to use them at the same time, I can see this as being really nice at higher levels. Helf arti dili brings proficiencies in repeaters and use of arti flame arrow scolls at lev 3, but I haven't used them much at all because melee is SOOOO much faster at killing and (so far) haven't run into a situation where using ranged was a big advantage. (I am using an icy burst, keen, acid raiper of enfeebling, ML 4 + flaming shortsword of pure good, ML 4) Those weapons are just pure awesomeness at lev 4 and 5 lol. Add arti elemental weapons from scrolls for even more damage.

I will post comments every 5 levels or so regarding leveling up as well as fix any errors that may be in the OP, as I did not level up as in the OP, I kind of morphed into that build after many trial and errors with my first life as a drow. It will most likely take me a few months to cap again.
    Last edited by Mellkor; 11-22-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    Mellkor Wizard, Culpepper Cleric, Coyle Warlock, Anarion Mechanic Archer, Ungoliant, Assassin, Tulkas Astaldo Vanguard Pally,
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

I'm looking forward to hearing your progress. I'm currently level 14, banking level 15 at the moment, and using this build set up, and I must say, I'm liking it a lot. I have a buddy that tr'd as well, and he's a tank and I almost always come out on top with the most kills. Gotta love sneak attack.

How do you get the +1 from Litany of the Dead and the +3 insightful from Subterfuge, if they're both trinkets?
    Last edited by hi_sa1nt; 11-24-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Mellkor,
    Did you change your initial stat distribution on this TR to allow you to get improved sneak attack at epic levels, and if so what were your new starting stats? Seems too steep to get it at the current distribution in the OP. Thanks.
    Proud Officer of the Guild of the Black Dragon on Sarlona.

Quote Originally Posted by Riekan View Post
    Mellkor,
    Did you change your initial stat distribution on this TR to allow you to get improved sneak attack at epic levels, and if so what were your new starting stats? Seems too steep to get it at the current distribution in the OP. Thanks.
    I did not change the starting stats. I do not plan on getting improved sneak attack. The way I look at it an extra 3d6 when you already do something like 24d6 is not really that big a deal. I prefer to stay focused on assassinate dc with str and con secondary. It would work on a dex build, but I feel that str secondary is much better because it allows a broader use of weapons instead of only a few if you went dex. (however, this MAY very well change after U17 IF the new rogue enhancements that allow dex to damage for daggers and kukries also applies to rapiers and shortswords, if THAT happens then I would say a swap to Dex secondary stat is in order)

IMO the better assasinate DC and better damage with ALL weapons trumps the relatively small increase in sneak damage. Better to be more sure to kill in one shot than kill in a few less weapon swings!
    Last edited by Mellkor; 11-25-2012 at 01:52 PM.
    Mellkor Wizard, Culpepper Cleric, Coyle Warlock, Anarion Mechanic Archer, Ungoliant, Assassin, Tulkas Astaldo Vanguard Pally,
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Quote Originally Posted by hi_sa1nt View Post
    I'm looking forward to hearing your progress. I'm currently level 14, banking level 15 at the moment, and using this build set up, and I must say, I'm liking it a lot. I have a buddy that tr'd as well, and he's a tank and I almost always come out on top with the most kills. Gotta love sneak attack.

How do you get the +1 from Litany of the Dead and the +3 insightful from Subterfuge, if they're both trinkets?
    You can get +3 insight from a robe. Also keep in mind that this is part of the max theoretical assassinate DC section of the OP. That number is by no means practical. It is just there to keep folks aware of what all the sources are that affect assassinate DC and what the high water mark is. If anyone can think of something I missed in that section, please let me know.
    Last edited by Mellkor; 11-25-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Hit level 10. Leveling so far has been a zergfest doing at level or up to 3 levels above epic quests with no issues. Altho doing epic quests 3 levels above my current level requires a bit of caution and smart play instead of the usual zerg.

The low will save score at this level has reared its ugly head, lol, I seem to get paralyzed a lot. Wearing a SR item does not seem to help much.

I have only blown up one trap, and only because I forgot to equip for disabling traps.

I am now using a wounding of puncturing weapon set, I sometimes swap out the off hand for a paralyzer. Works great in most content at this level. Sword of Shadows is also a good all around choice, even with the non proficiency. A pair of disruptors takes care of almost everything else I am fighting at these levels. I am also using a repeater a lot more, it does respectable damage, I often use it to pull mobs and soften them up before they get to me, IF they get to me, that is. And when in a group where you dont have aggro much, the repeater lays down an impressive amount of sneak damage very fast. I use flame arrow scrolls to make ammo for an extra d6 of fire damage each hit.
    Last edited by Mellkor; 11-27-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Default Why Destruction/Destroyer Armor?

As a follow up to my previous questions, you mentioned that you wear a lot of destruction outfit/robes. How does destruction help a rogue? I know it gets past fortification, but what does that really mean? The only info on fortification I can find on the wiki is about protecting PC's from mobs. Does it increase our sneak attack damage or something? Does it help with the assassinate ability?

Thanks again for the advice. I am now capped at 25, level 5 Shadow Dancer, and I am working on my other EDs. Still loving the play style on this toon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alizee8a View Post
    As a follow up to my previous questions, you mentioned that you wear a lot of destruction outfit/robes. How does destruction help a rogue? I know it gets past fortification, but what does that really mean? The only info on fortification I can find on the wiki is about protecting PC's from mobs. Does it increase our sneak attack damage or something? Does it help with the assassinate ability?

Thanks again for the advice. I am now capped at 25, level 5 Shadow Dancer, and I am working on my other EDs. Still loving the play style on this toon.
    It provides 4% fortification bypass as well as -4 to hit for the entire party. So it indirectly increases sneak damage on high fort mobs. It is not a bad party debuff these days as well, especially on EE quests.
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Quote Originally Posted by Mellkor View Post
    It provides 4% fortification bypass as well as -4 to hit for the entire party. So it indirectly increases sneak damage on high fort mobs. It is not a bad party debuff these days as well, especially on EE quests.
    Does that mean it increases your sneak attack damage by 4%? I guess that is what I am confused about. I am not sure how fortification on mobs and sneak attack work together. (Also, I think you meant +4 to hit for party, -4 AC for mob).

Quote Originally Posted by Alizee8a View Post
    Does that mean it increases your sneak attack damage by 4%? I guess that is what I am confused about. I am not sure how fortification on mobs and sneak attack work together. (Also, I think you meant +4 to hit for party, -4 AC for mob).
    heh, yeah, -4 AC to the mob for the entire party...was still groggy

It just allows you to bypass a mobs fortification to get sneak damage that you normally would not get. The 4% is not much, but stack it with other feats, destiny skills, items, etc and you can get upwards of 60% fort bypass easily. Think of it this way, it is about the same effect if you took your heavy fort item and replaced it with a moderate fort item, except it is vs mobs instead of you.
    Last edited by Mellkor; 11-29-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Love this build. Can't express how fun it is. My spot is a bit weak right now at level 16, but I plan on fixing that later. Took a group through chains of flame the other day, was level 14 (was capped on xp at the time) and had more kills than the rest of the group combined. Love it.

I noticed that envenomed blades are just all right at level 16 and don't seem as effective as some of the other blades I was using.

Thanks for the updates. Gonna keep my rogue at 16 for a bit while I reflag for shroud and wait for a buddy to catch up, so I'll be working on my monk and get her to level 20. So I can tr her and turn her into a 6 ninja 13 acro 1 fighter. but anyway, I'm loving this build.

Hit level 12. What a game changer (assassinate!). Greensteel radiance rapier + 35 assassinate DC + paralyzer in the off hand is awesome. 35 DC is easily a no fail number at this level. Only red named are immune so far.

From 10-12 these levels started to see a change in tactics I have been using (pure zerg). I noticed sneak damage really coming into its own. I slowed down some on my zergfest to allow others to get aggro before I attacked, it really made a big difference starting around lev 9 I would say. Now that I can blind things to get sneak damage, I may be zerging again, LOL.

Also, with the exception of the VON's I have not repeated any quests. I like not having to farm quests at low levels anymore. Elite streak is a good thing!
    Last edited by Mellkor; 11-30-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

gd it, Ungoliant!

Cap again already, so we can get back to l00ting!
    Brenna, Tzanna, and Tzinna Wavekin
    The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent

Man the more I play, the more I'm loving this build.

Except, one problem. I would recommend taking IC: Pierce for the first 20 levels then use your free feat exchange and then take IC: Slash for the Midnight Greetings.

What is your Fort after you drink your INT yugo pot ?
    Flashious, Slashious, Bashious, Delushous, SifuTam Toustious, Sneakious
    Officer - Templar - Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by xxScoobyDooxx View Post
    What is your Fort after you drink your INT yugo pot ?
    I do not use yugo int pots.
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Hit lev 15.

I will edit the OP soon and put the feats I took in the proper order.

levels 12-15 I transitioned from mostly using cure serious pots to self heal to using heal scrolls. I did this as soon as I hit 70% success rate on using heal scrolls.

I am back to zerging at-level elite quests with this build, (thanks greensteel radiance rapier!) it is so much fun! The only quest that I would say was kinda tough was elite Invaders, if those beholders see you before you can assassinate them, look out!

Some quirks (?) I have noticed:
    1. I am able to assassinate many orange named and red named mobs! I first noticed this in prison of the planes when I accidentally discovered I could assassinate the red named guys in each of the rooms (except for the undead mobs). It sure made the fight with Kardin (the named beholder), a whole lot easier! After this, I found I was able to assassinate many (but not all) orange and red named mobs (in gianthold. anyways).

2. At lev 14, I NEVER got sneak damage vs the training dummy (as well as "sneak immune" or high fort mobs), at lev 15, all of a sudden maybe 25% or so of my hits (ranged OR melee) get sneak damage to the dummy and mobs I previously did not get sneak damage from. The only change at 15 was getting improved two weapon fighting feat when I leveled, all equipment stayed the same as when I was 14. /shrug (I have had precision since lev 9)

I got a really nice lev 16 named light repeater out of one of the eveningstar flagging quests (not sure which one), it uses your int bonus for to hit. Really nice for this build along with use of flame bolts.
    Last edited by Mellkor; 12-10-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    ***Argonnessen***
    ~~Ascent~~

Do you find Shadow Manipulation really that useful? I'm having huge doubts putting a point into there when I can get 100% dodge. Your thoughts?

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast