Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Bravery Bonus (BB) and You (The More You Know!)

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed, people are confused about how the Bravery Bonus works, how it stacks with other bonuses, how to earn it in a quest, and what will impact their streak. Initially, I answered a few questions in another thread (further down this forum) and realized that there were a few immutable rules currently governing the Bravery Bonus and its behavior. Below are the few that I've managed to nail down and verify through repetition and corollary reports.

Rule 1: Bravery Bonus (hereafter referred to BB) only applies to quests within 2 levels of your toon as determined by said quest's 'Normal' difficulty challenge rating. (IE: If toon is lvl 6, BB applies to quests lvl 4 and up)

Rule 2: BB applies only to the FIRST run of a quest.

Rule 3: Subsequent runs of the same quests after the FIRST do not impact BB. (IE: Multiple elite runs of the same quest do not stack with each other. Also, running the same quest E/H/N applies only the first Elite run to your BB)

Rule 4: BB stacks up to 5 times. (That's a total of 25% for hard or a total of 50% for elite and only the highest of these two applies)

Rule 5: Once you have exceeded the 2 level restriction, running a quest for the first time on Normal will not impact your BB. (IE: You're level 10 and decide you want to go farm Chronoscope, a lvl 6 quest. It will not impact your BB because Chrono's normal diff rating is lvl 6.)

Rule 6: Completing a first run of a quests at a difficulty below your highest streak will reset that streak to the level at which you complete said first run. (IE: You complete 5 quests on elite, giving you your 50% streak bonus, the following quest you complete on hard. Your elite streak is reset to 0, but you maintain your Hard streak and your 25% streak bonus)

Rule 7: BB is an individual bonus based on your toon and the quests completed by you on it. (IE: If you are Level 9, completing Elite Tempest Spine CR10, grouped with players ranging between lvl 9 and lvl 12, the BB will be applied and your streak counter will continue)

Rule 8: BB will ONLY be applied if ALL toons in the quest are 2 levels above its Normal Diff CR or LESS. (Using the example from 7, the same group of 9's-12's, could not complete Elite Haywire's Foundry CR9 and still receive BB or streak bonus)

Rule 9: TRing resets your Bravery bonuses and streaks. All quests are considered "Never run before". (This allows you to earn BB streaks on ALL quests, regardless of what you ran prior to your TR)

Rule 10: Only actual and completed quests impact BB. Challenges, slayers, party wipes, recalling before all required objectives are completed, will not impact BB, nor will any 'Quest' which involves simply stepping in, talking to an NPC, and leaving... A'la Return to Delera's Tomb.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm TERRIBLY off base, but these are the truths that I've managed to divine from my runs since BB was added.

As I come across new ones that I'm able to verify, I'll adjust the above accordingly. If you have contradictory reports, please share it so I can try and verify it as well. Think of it like Mythbusters, Bravery Bonus edition.

And knowing is half the battle... GO JOE!!

OP Note: Here's hoping the Mabar event gets a similar tweek to the fix given to CC at the last minute.
    Last edited by KreepyKritter; 01-15-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: (late) corrections resulting from U12 tweeks to BB.

Definitive Guide to Bravery Bonuses You've got questions? We've got answers... and bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKritter View Post
    Rule 7: Bravery Bonus is an individual bonus based only on your toon and the quests completed by you on it. Other players' levels should not impact your streak, nor should they keep you from earning the bonus on a given quest. (Note: This is my experience only, thus far, there are reports of high level toons preventing lower level toons from earning a BB for their quest xp, but nothing I've been able to substantiate thus far.)
    If you run with a toon 3+ levels above then it will mess up your streak. It happened with me this morning. I was 6 at the time and there was a 7 in the group. We were doing TRG elite and the bonus got reset/did not count on the first couple due to the level diff.
    Gilcongain - Uber Completionist ~ A Tribe Called Zerg ~ Cannith

Agreed. I ran a level 4 quest (on my level 6) on elite with a level 8 guild mate and did not get BB. The streak was unaffected.

While I appreciate the attempt, this isn't a very good explanation of the Bravery Bonus. Anybody else want to give it a shot?

EDIT: I have received a couple of >deserved< neg rep dings for this post. Deserved because I expressed my confusion in a not-very-helpful way. In my defense, however, the current version of the OP is *much* better than whatever it was that I read originally, which didn't really explain the Bravery Bonus very well (in my opinion). So I'm not quibbling about the neg rep except to say that this was my reaction at the time, albeit poorly expressed.
    Last edited by DANTEIL; 01-11-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DANTEIL View Post
    While I appreciate the attempt, this isn't a very good explanation of the Bravery Bonus. Anybody else want to give it a shot?
    It is a very good description of Bravery Bonus.

Rule 7: Bravery Bonus is an individual bonus based only on your toon and the quests completed by you on it. Other players' levels should not impact your streak, nor should they keep you from earning the bonus on a given quest. (Note: This is my experience only, thus far, there are reports of high level toons preventing lower level toons from earning a BB for their quest xp, but nothing I've been able to substantiate thus far.)
    It does not effect your streak (in either direction), but you do not get your bonus if another party member is 3+ levels higher then the quest level on normal.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Quote Originally Posted by itraylor View Post
    If you run with a toon 3+ levels above then it will mess up your streak. It happened with me this morning. I was 6 at the time and there was a 7 in the group. We were doing TRG elite and the bonus got reset/did not count on the first couple due to the level diff.
    TRG's first two quests (First Strike and Hobgoblin's Captives) are level 3 quests. You were 3 levels above their CR level, thus did not earn your streak bonus because of your level, not the lvl 7. A few questions so I know the details and can investigate further. How close to making 7 were you when you began the chain? Had you run Splinterskull before (Pre-U11) on this toon, either in part or in total? Was the streak completely reset or only stalled on the first two? I ask because the only way to reset BB is to open and complete ANY quest on normal.

I've attempted several times to recreate it, and haven't, so far, failed to earn a BB under the circumstances described in #7. Including a run last night of a lvl 11 quest, with a group made up of a 12, a 13, my own 14 lvl toon, a 15lvl wizard, and two other 16th lvl toons. The lvl 12 and 13 (the latter being my wife, whose BB I verified over her shoulder) both earned, or said they earned, their streak bonus.

ETA: More questions to clarify
    Last edited by KreepyKritter; 09-20-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: I may (read as probably) have misread the quoted post.

Definitive Guide to Bravery Bonuses You've got questions? We've got answers... and bacon.

Bravery Bonus- Bonus to experience for the Absolute first time running the quest on any difficulty. The first run however should be on hard or elite. Elite gives larger bonuses than hard.

As a side note this bravery bonus and streak has gotten a guildie of mine who is working on a tr a lvl a night so far.
    And he has only run quests once on elite.
    Schadel TR FVS | Whathitme 2TR human stalwart tank |Whatwas TR Barbarian/Fighter--FuryoftheWild | Kpavio Monk/fighter| Whatsnyp Artificer | Skullzz all purpose Druid| Whatcast elf AM| Nobuffforu Acrobat Warchanter

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Exactly. Everyone in the group cannot be 3 levels more than the quest level if it was on normal. So a lvl 4 quest on normal, no matter what difficulty chosen, cannot have any level 7 players in it, or there will be no streak bonus or accumulation.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skullzz View Post
    Bravery Bonus- Bonus to experience for the Absolute first time running the quest on any difficulty. The first run however should be on hard or elite. Elite gives larger bonuses than hard.

As a side note this bravery bonus and streak has gotten a guildie of mine who is working on a tr a lvl a night so far.
    And he has only run quests once on elite.
    Yeah, from my calculations, you can get considerable gains by running elite, getting a full streak, and maintaining it. And that is with no pots/shrine/item boosting. If you add those, you will fly through levels. No matter the life.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    Exactly. Everyone in the group cannot be 3 levels more than the quest level if it was on normal. So a lvl 4 quest on normal, no matter what difficulty chosen, cannot have any level 7 players in it, or there will be no streak bonus or accumulation.
    While I've had a great deal of anecdotal explanations like this, I have not yet been able to substantiate it. I have only ever seen a BB streak impacted by OTHER player levels once out of several dozen quests run. Whether this is a bug causing the BB to not be earned, or a bug that allows the BB to continue uneffected, I'm not sure. However, it is clearly a bug in the BB calculations that I'm trying to nail down, if only for my own understanding.

Community Member

If you have never run the quest before, but you are teamed with someone who has completed the quest on hard, will that let you (while teamed) open the quest on elite, and thus get the BB bonus?

Rule 2: BB applies only to the FIRST run of a quest.
    Which means the only ways to get Bravery Bonus are:

1. Have someone else open the quest for you

2. Be a TR

Am I missing something?
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Running Devil Assult will reset your bonus if you run it at level 6 even though it states it wont.

Rule 5: Once you have exceeded the 2 level restriction, running a quest for the first time on Normal will not impact your BB. (IE: You're level 10 and decide you want to go farm Chronoscope, a lvl 6 quest. It will not impact your BB because Chrono's normal diff rating is lvl 6.)...
    Thanks for this I was wondering about it.

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post

2. Be a TR

Am I missing something?
    3. Be a subscriber.

4. Have a 2nd f2p/prem account with a level appropriate opener.

Community Member

2. Be a TR

Am I missing something?
    Yes -- be a VIP.

Community Member

with regards to #7 i ran elite gauntlet or whatever its called (the one where the quest giver is by the guy wh ogives you drow etc for favour) as a lvl 4 on elite with a lvl 5 in the group was definatly my first run as id literally just rolled up the toon, so other people can affect your BB bonus at least on that paticular quest if it seems to vary

Thumbs up

Informative!
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

2. Be a TR

Am I missing something?
    You can also purchase Hard and Elite Open items from the DDO store (I'm mostly certain this is what Martinus is talking about). Others have mentioned paid sub already.

with regards to #7 i ran elite gauntlet or whatever its called (the one where the quest giver is by the guy wh ogives you drow etc for favour) as a lvl 4 on elite with a lvl 5 in the group was definatly my first run as id literally just rolled up the toon, so other people can affect your BB bonus at least on that paticular quest if it seems to vary
    I've got to agree here, it seems to vary by quest, or is bugged. More testing needs to be done to fully verify it, which is why I included specific notation to that end. I may end up pulling it at this rate, until I can get on tonight and test the **** out of it with every possible permutation I have available to me. Helps that I have a second computer I can obscond with for a few hours to put it through its paces again... Only thing I can't test is high-end content, because I've TR'd or deleted them all and haven't gotten anyone back up to that range again yet.

*Cough*

Because I'm a lazy sack.

I expect it's too much to ask that a Dev confirm which side of that coin is WAI. It can't possibly be both.
    Last edited by KreepyKritter; 09-20-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Whining for Dev input.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast