Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default ***The new caster items are insane

Whoever designed them was obviously smoking something.

1. SPELL PEN
    Currently Spell Pen IX is found on only 2 items in the game:
    Epic Greenblade and Epic hryuvayah's medallion

GREATER Spell Pen VIII is found on only 4 items in the game Epic Torc, Abbot staff, VoD Bracers and DT Armor.

The new raid item gives PERMANENT GREATER spell pen IX (!!)
    This is absolutely insane, as it eclipses/combines the features of 6 extremely difficult to farm items.

2. Superior POTENCY (of type)

Currently only available in CLICKY Form for VIII off of TOD Belts.
    Available in CLICKY form for VI on random loot weapons.
    Eardweller for IX 100% CLICKY would be the exception

The new raid item gives PERMANENT Superior Potency for 2 elements (Could make one for Cold/Elec and another for Fire/Acid and hotswap thus covering all elements).
    Again absolutely insane, eclipsing all TOD belts simultaenously and permanently

3. Superior LORE
    Currently major lore is obtainable by stacking either a Greenblade/Skiver with the Rakhir's set from TOD to obtain MAJOR lore.
    Superior Lore ELECTRIC is obtainable from an epic cloak of zephyr
    Superior Lore ACID is obtainable only from an epic seal of the earth
    Superior Lore Fire = epic red dragon armor
    Currently not possible to obtain superior Ice lore.

The new item gives SUPERIOR Lore for any TWO Base elements thus alone is equivalent to wearing 2 of the above high tier items

1 + 2 + 3 = Wearing a single U11 raid crafted item is the equivalent of wearing Epic Torc + Epic Greenblade + Epic Red Dragon Armor + Epic Cloak of Zephyr + Rakhirs Belt/Ring.

If that stays the same then every wizard/sorc/caster FVS and his brother will be running around with one.

There is no way these items should ever reach Live.

Community Member

Default **New caster items are insane

Posted this in crafting discussion but apparently not many people look there.
    I can't believe no one has commented on this yet.

1. SPELL PEN

GREATER Spell Pen VIII is found on only 4 items in the game Epic Torc, Abbot staff, VoD Bracers and DT Armor.

This is absolutely insane, as it eclipses/combines the features of 6 extremely difficult to farm items.

The new raid item gives PERMANENT Superior Potency for 2 elements (Could make one for Cold/Elec and another for Fire/Acid and hotswap thus covering all elements).

3. Superior LORE
    Currently major lore is obtainable by stacking either a Greenblade/Skiver with the Rakhir's set from TOD to obtain MAJOR lore.

The new item gives SUPERIOR Lore for any TWO Base elements thus alone is equivalent to wearing 2 of the above high tier items

1 + 2 + 3 = Wearing a single U11 raid crafted item is the equivalent of wearing Epic Torc + Epic Greenblade + Epic Red Dragon Armor + Epic Cloak of Zephyr + Rakhirs Belt/Ring.

If that stays the same then every wizard/sorc/caster FVS and his brother will be running around with one.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazydamage View Post

1. SPELL PEN

3. Superior LORE

Yes they are great, but I think you have it wrong.

You get one element and one non-element. such as fire/light, ice/physical, or Elec/negitive.
    Blind Faith

Noheels,Ravenwind-Sarlona,FirstOfOne,Kraagg

Yep Crazy, there should be no better gear than what you have farmed out already.
    Zunez 40 WF Wiz ~Archmage~
    Alkirie 40 WF FVS ~Angel of Vengeance~
    Zoonez 40 Human FVS ~Evoker AoV~
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubethulu View Post
    Now now, only I may eat the kittens. *burp*
    Quote Originally Posted by IWZincedge View Post
    This horse is dead, y'all. Quit ridin' it.

Community Member

Turbine just want people to buy the pack by making lots of UBER gear, otherwise not really worth buying all that much. Turbine makes money, it decreases the grind for us on epics and etc...

I personally think that the gear they are allowing to achieve is indeed VERY VERY uber and that is a reason while I will be buying the pack

Community Member

how else can turbine justify 1200 TP for the pack

Spell Pen IX is also found on the vibrant purple ioun stone and the epic shaman's ring.
    Abbot staff only has regular Spell Pen VIII. Same with the VoD bracers.

If you're gonna work yourself into a frenzy, get the facts straight first. Considering those mistakes, who knows if you're even right about the new items. I haven't checked into them, but I'm sure not going to take your word for it.

Looks like you're wrong about some other stuff too.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Brave2 View Post
    Yep Crazy, there should be no better gear than what you have farmed out already.
    this will simplify all my gear grinding efforts. Bow Down to your Alchemical overlords!

I can't wait for Double EPic gear in U12

agree with the OP. I have no idea what the devs were thinking releasing caster loot like this when melees are screaming for mere relevance in the game at this point.

I guess it depends how hard it is to get these new items. If the grind is hellacious, then that helps.
    scrollfu! meowfu! +4fu! firstyfu!
    Maarl de Gutter (ret.) ~ Gnaaarl de Mutter (ret.) ~ Nineinch Rails (ret.)
    Intragreenis Druid - Human FvS [x2] Evoker ~ Guttural de Chanter - Elf Wiz [x4] PM
    Potpourri de Foo Foo - WF Wiz [Sx3][FvSx3][Wx3] Shiradi

I find the new gear pretty uninspired, as it just throws a bunch of old effects on one item without offering anything new, but for the same reason I don't think they are a huge power jump. They will make sloting casters much easier, but won't really increase maximum caster power.

Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    I guess it depends how hard it is to get these new items. If the grind is hellacious, then that helps.
    Not really.

I mean, sure, it gives 'em some breathing room to sort out what to do but it only makes the end fix bigger in the, err, end. Kinda like when they popped caster item attributes into the game: sure, fine at level 10 (iirc), but you can make the case that we're still picking up from that particular decision.

Erm... I'll stick with my ToD belt/Torc/eCotZ/Petitioner's combo, thanks.

-10% spell costs is not to be ignored, and they haven't put that on the stick.
    Fear the Koala.
    Jial, Wyllywyl, and an ever-changing list of alts.

you are also ignoring the fact that superior potency is only 50%, whereas elemental clickies are 75%.

And let's face it, this is hardly gamebreaking. A slight increase to crits and +1 to spell pen on high level spells hardly changes everything. If this was epic spell focus mastery (+3 to all spell dc's) maybe you'd have a case, but these are hardly tangible benefits. And considering how little epic gear there even is for many casters, it's nice to actually have something to work for again rather than just farming for my melees.
    ~Sarlona~
    Malpyre ~ Malyoko ~ Malsyn ~ Malyficent ~ Malkyrie ~ Malexi
    ~Orien~
    Malfyre

Instead of going to all the trouble of revamping desert items, they will just replace them in new content.

I'm just not seeing this as terribly OP. Potency and a bit of spell pen might be handy but not to any serious degree. Superior lore might be a nice little addition but time will tell.

The new weapons for melees look like they were a bigger jump to me. That's another time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Quote Originally Posted by lugoman View Post
    Instead of going to all the trouble of revamping desert items, they will just replace them in new content.
    Sad panda on this one. GH ... old top level content ...
    Leader - Ωmega Syndicate [L41] guild of Khyber|Orien - www.os.rumbaar.net
    Khyber - Eldraine - Monk | Eldaline - Favored Soul | Eldnuker - Sorcerer
    █████ - Eldalorne - Wizard | Elarawr - Fighter | Eldrainge - Ranger/Rogue

They're 75%?
    Clickies are 75%.

18. 09-02-2011, 07:03 PM

Reason
    trolling

Aw waaaa......Why wont the casters just hold mobs and let ME have all the fun !!! waaaaaaa...
    I hate these threads so much..in my opinion mellee and casters are more closely balanced then they used to be..so casters are great for clearing trash and keeping mobs busy by ways of crowd control..mellees are king of raid boss fights and other big red named mobs..not sure what the problem is..

Now casters can even throw in some dps as well as some cc ..plus insta kill stuff..instead of cc and hiding behind mellees casters can play a more active role in "end game" situations..i see this as a win win for everyone ..**** will get done quicker and everyone has fun now not just you with your two kopeshes or whatever it is you use..( by you i mean a generic you ..not you in particular )

If you dont feel as if your contributing as much with your mellee its a problem with YOUR toon not everyone elses..be it caster or whatever it may be..

The only thing i can say as far as whats over powered with caster types are the dots...both divine and arcane dots need a save every time you try to stack it..there is no reason why a dump stated mellee arcane and divine can throw as much dps as one who has invested the time and effort to have high dc's ..this is broken in my opinion and should be fixed..

As far as gear..hahahaha its funny how for YEARS mellee have ruled ddo....As soon as casters get some love all the whiny mellees come out the wood work .." but i didnt rule the kill count this run so casters MUST be over powered" dont be so full of yourselves ...

Almost all pug or guild raids are still dominated by mellee types with a couple arcanes or divines thrown in ..now people WILL accept more then one or two arcanes or divines in their group ..which is ..well a good ****ing thing !!

Still struggling to find any factually correct statements in the OP.

The only logic I can see in your post is trying to provoke people into replying to your thread with corrections to the glaring errors in the hopes that a dev skim reading the forums might go "hey there's a thread with 600 replies titled 'caster items are insane'. ok we should probably nerf them"

I recommend going to the game mechanics forum and asking for advice on how casting items work first before making this sort of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    We like the fact it’s a choice as suppose to, “hell we just kill yonder dragon cause we’re OP”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I say we take off and nerf the whole game from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydamage View Post

1. SPELL PEN

3. Superior LORE

You can run these raids on normal but that'll be a grind. If you want more material you have to run it on hard or elite. And those are tough. But if you want to make tier 3 - which is what you're talking about you need to run it on Epic and it's apparently very tough.

I like to be rewarded for spending resources to make the items and it's elemental/something, you can't make a fire/laceration with glaciation/radiance lore. The material - say adamantine, silver, cold iron etc that the weapon is made out of determines what the second effect will be. So you pick one element (say fire) and the material determines what the other will be. So for you to cover all 4 elements you're going to have to make 2 items. And that'll take a while.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast