Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    My response would have been this:

"Leaders who need a healbot suck" and *pop* I drop group.
    Yep!

(although I probably just would have said Thx and dropped, or dropped without a word...)

Just about the only time I leave a group is when they boot someone for no good reason.
    Add to it that you had befriended the guy....I would have definately left!
    I gave up a life of farming to become an Adventurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member DeafeningWhisper's Avatar

I once got refused on my 18 Cleric 1 Ftr for VoN5 on norm, VoN6 to be decided by group. Reason? Battle-Clerics don't heal, forget the fact I carry Superior Devotion VI and had 34 wis, with only 20 str no way I can heal an easy raid like that...

There are some players that don't accept splashes either, my 9 Bard/2 Ftr/2 Rog got denied for Eyes of Stone, thou my friend's pure Monk lvl 11 under-geared got in no problem. My bard has eaten +2 dex/con/str tomes, carries improved false life, +6 con item, Minos Legend, +6 str item, 5 Divine Power Clickies, 25% striding, Stormsinger Cloak, Crimson Chain and 2 Rocksplitters of Maiming yet he wasn't "good enough" for this leader. Also my IC add +6 to attack +7 to damage for the whole party.
    Last edited by DeafeningWhisper; 08-30-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Community Member

1. Stay in the party
    2. Wait almost until the end of the quest
    3. Recall
    - Re-enter
    4. Repeat pt 3 as much as you can
    5. Revenge is best served on cold plate

he hasn't seen the TRUE battle clerics.
    unfortunately sonny, this tells you that he is a noob.
    A rogue is basically, "Look at me or die."

Theres people who understand D&D and theres people who understand MMOs.

The D&D crowd understands that clerics in a D&D based game can fight, and do well at it while not making too much of a sacrifice to being able to keep a group alive.

Some who came from other MMOs see healers as a cloth armor wearing babysitter, who spams heals on the tank and tops off HP on the other melee. I understand why they see this, because in most other MMOs this is what healers are.

But that still doesnt make up for the fact that many players dont see the full potential of the class. Too bad for them.

Whats a cleric in D&D? They are a damage mitigation class. Obviously they heal, but they also buff, and fight, by either meleeing to kill the mob faster which equals less damage to the party, or use offensive casting to kill / debilitate mobs to make them less effective, which also equals less damage to the party.

Theres people who understand D&D and theres people who understand MMOs. Fact is, we play a D&D based game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Default Old Stigmas...

Does he want 9 meleese 2 healers 1 caster in his shrouds as well? A party with 2 or 3 melee/caster divines can rock the house on anything because they're all self sufficient and people who want nannybots for quests are not.
    True Reincarnated on Thelanis
    Get your pants off or get out of my dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealest View Post
    Does he want 9 meleese 2 healers 1 caster in his shrouds as well? A party with 2 or 3 melee/caster divines can rock the house on anything because they're all self sufficient and people who want nannybots for quests are not.
    Indeed.

And if there IS a healer in the party, for every DPS Divine (or WF Arcane) that's one less source of DPS that the healer has to heal.
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.
    Hey Devs! Let's give Warpriests and Eldritch Knights some loving, kay? :<

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hajutze View Post
    1. Stay in the party
    3. Recall
    - Re-enter
    I am both ashamed and thrilled to say I did this last week... was on a team run by a guy who, for some reason, wanted to farm the Goldstone Manor quest over and over... easy xp I guess. At one point he invites a 6th, a low lvl sorc, and the sorc, after a moment, says "I've never run this chain before... who do I speak to to get it started?"

Next thing I see is "[Player] has been booted from the party" and the leader saying "I'm tired of helping noobs."

So I quietly exited and re-entered the quest four times then dropped.

You should have seen the PM I got from that guy.

Anyway, led the sorc through the quest chain... had a great time and now another player knows some more content.
    Last edited by Ebonrook; 09-02-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    My response would have been this:

"Leaders who need a healbot suck" and *pop* I drop group.
    Yep.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Default Hmmm Bad...

Sounds like a bad leader with a very big chip on his shoulder....solution: /squelch...but did like the idea of exiting and re-entering, but i'm just not that mean lol

As my for running my pure 18 cleric, well i probably tend to run him as a battle cleric....pop sup ardor clickie, pop aura, grab scimitar and start slaying anything in my path...stop to heal me or others as needed, then more slaying!!!

Point is a cleric can do many things at once..using them any other way seems a waste to me.

His Bio reads: Come with me if you want to live! LOL

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

you joined a group lead by someone ignorant but to be fair there are a awful lot of really bad battle clerics and fvs outthere

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default awful

Sounds to me, like the leader was an idiot and rude. You should have dropped group and reformed with your B Cleric friend. You would have finished faster.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    you joined a group lead by someone ignorant but to be fair there are a awful lot of really bad battle clerics and fvs outthere
    And that justifies prejudice. </sarcasm>
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hajutze View Post
    1. Stay in the party
    3. Recall
    - Re-enter
    No reason to punish the other party members because the leader's an idiot...but tempting... very tempting.

I'd have dropped group, squelched the leader, then asked the hot BattleCleric if he has a guild.

If yes: Can I join.

If no: Does he want one?

The PUG leader was probably understandably afraid. I've watched a 20th level melee (pure) Favored Soul die six times in PART ONE of the shroud. Yes, part one. I was the only other healer, and that was how many Resurrections I used on her.

Most GOOD Battleclerics get snapped up by guilds fast, and they never have to PUG because everyone who knows them wants them in the party.

The horribly bad ones continue to join PUGs.
    Give a man a fish, and he demands two more tomorrow.
    Teach a man to fish, and he'll leave to find somebody who'll just give him a fish.
    Beat him unconscious with the fish, and it's comedy.

Community Member

The main(and pretty much only) difference between a "good" healer and a "bad" healer is how much the group is self sufficient.

If the group has all members that are good at mitigating/absorbing/self-healing incoming damage as well as being able to put out enough dmg to kill enemies fast, then the healer is "good" because he can actually keep up with the extra dmg that can not be handled by one's self.

A group that has bad players that don't try to mitigate/absorb/self-heal or put out horrible dmg make the healer "bad" because he will run out of mana very fast healing all the stupid ppl. Then they complain because they die because the healer is not healing them because he is out of mana.

Healing in this game is NOT like in other MMOs where the healingbots have unlimited amounts of healing that they can throw out constantly for the whole instance. All mana users in this game have to use their mana sparingly and effectively. A lot of the times I will just let retards die and carry their stone with me instead of wasting mana on them, because I need that mana to keep the good players up(or just solo the quest myself with everyone's soulstones in my backpack).

THAT is why ppl say battleclerics are bad, because they are usually smart enough to not heal idiots when they know they can just use their mana to heal themselves and other good players to make the group actually win the quest.

Quote Originally Posted by spitfirek View Post
    The main(and pretty much only) difference between a "good" healer and a "bad" healer is how much the group is self sufficient.

If the group has all members that are good at mitigating/absorbing/self-healing incoming damage as well as being able to put out enough dmg to kill enemies fast, then the healer is "good" because he can actually keep up with the extra dmg that can not be handled by one's self.

A group that has bad players that don't try to mitigate/absorb/self-heal or put out horrible dmg make the healer "bad" because he will run out of mana very fast healing all the stupid ppl. Then they complain because they die because the healer is not healing them because he is out of mana.

Healing in this game is NOT like in other MMOs where the healingbots have unlimited amounts of healing that they can throw out constantly for the whole instance. All mana users in this game have to use their mana sparingly and effectively. A lot of the times I will just let retards die and carry their stone with me instead of wasting mana on them, because I need that mana to keep the good players up(or just solo the quest myself with everyone's soulstones in my backpack).

THAT is why ppl say battleclerics are bad, because they are usually smart enough to not heal idiots when they know they can just use their mana to heal themselves and other good players to make the group actually win the quest.
    Despite the fact that I'm a staunch defender of battle clerics, I don't think this post is fair.

There ARE Clerics that only self heal, and they might be battlers, too. The battlers, however, stand out because they're in the fray, while the casters are behind everyone and less noticeable.

Clerics are not a class that is immune to being played by stupid players. You can't heal stupid, and stupid can't heal you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthesponge View Post
    I have a quibble with this statement. What quests need a caster? Many are easier with a caster (Wiz King, I looks at youse), but they hardly need one.
    Just going to drop in and mention Inferno of the Damned. I am unaware of any way to douse all of the torches without icestorm.
    Fear the Koala.
    Jial, Wyllywyl, and an ever-changing list of alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonrook View Post
    I am both ashamed and thrilled to say I did this last week... was on a team run by a guy who, for some reason, wanted to farm the Goldstone Manor quest over and over... easy xp I guess. At one point he invites a 6th, a low lvl sorc, and the sorc, after a moment, says "I've never run this chain before... who do I speak to to get it started?"

Next thing I see is "[Player] has been booted from the party" and the leader saying "I'm tired of helping noobs."

So I quietly exited and re-entered the quest four times then dropped.

You should have seen the PM I got from that guy.

Anyway, led the sorc through the quest chain... had a great time and now another player knows some more content.
    You know you also screwed the other people in the party right?
    Were they also responsible for what the leader did?

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    I've really not seen this. I've seen some poorly played clerics and FvSs, but then I've also seen every other class poorly played at some point or other. On the whole I've generally found them in PUGs to be as good as anyone else in the group. Not really seen this cleric type who only heals themself - think it's a bit of a myth really, or a rare occasion.

However we do tend to remember the quests which go drastically wrong more than all the others. And there is the tendancy to blame the healer rather than look to our own mistakes. If I *ding* in a quest it's usually because I've bitten off more than I can chew.

Whatever the case, the leader referred to by the OP is not one I would follow into battle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast