Default Claw of Vulkor pacify scorpion broken?

I submitted a bug report about this, but thought I would check and see if I'm just missing something.

In the Claw of Vulkoor (Red Fens), I took my level 7 ranger in, 16 Move silent/Hide and had no problems doing the entire dungeon stealthed until the very last scorpion guardian. (This was on casual)

This guardian, right before you complete the dungeon, is sitting right smack on top of the pressure plate. I was able to stealth up to him and "bump" into him from all sides except the front. There was nothing I could do to get the staff on top of the plate. Bumping him from the front causes him to agro instantly.

I can't Bluff him to move because it says he is immune to it. So is this broken or is there some way to get that staff onto the plate that i'm missing? I'm pretty sure it's bugged, but like I said, thought I would check.

Can't ranged weapons be used to draw a mob in a direction by aiming at the ground nearby?
    Wyestone and Juuts on Cannith.

Community Member

I've seen rogues use noisemaking traps to atract its attention.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
    Temmyrna - Nanzara - Zarriia - others - The Unrepentant

Use a throwing weapon that you throw somewhere behind him, so that he turns around, then sneak up to him before he turns back to guarding his plate.
    Another solution would be to use invisibility (but not sneaking), walking close enough so he hears you and starts walking towards you to see what was the noise, then sneak in his back to the plate.

Vid here
    Last edited by -Zephyr-; 08-23-2011 at 09:00 AM.

It's not a bug, it's intended to be tricky (but possible) to stealth the whole quest.
    For the last guardian with my rogue character i used noisemaker traps to make it move, a cheapest and available to all way to accomplish the same thing is kiting it while invisible.
    The guardians don't have true seeing so get invisible (scroll/potion/clickie/spell), run NEAR it and run back and doing so take it in the large burial room (may require a couple of run close-run away sessions), once he is away from the corridor to the last plate get in sneak mode and go finish.
    Watch out for the pesky nesting/healing scorpion there, sometimes it's very close to the pressure plate.

A few ways work.

You can toss a throwing weapon at the wall, and he'll go over to investigate the sound. Just be sure to not be seen while doing this.

The Rogue trap Noisemakers are great, but not an option on your Ranger.

You can also be heard but not seen. Walk up toward the barrier, and try to make some noise that draws his attention without being seen. Be careful that he doesn't get close enough to detect you. Then, sneak back over and use the staff. This can be done by using Invisibility and not sneaking, or wearing one of the items with a negative penalty to move silently. Shatterbow (either dampened or unlocked) is one such item.

Interesting. You don't find many things like this that cater specifically to rouges/sneakery beyond locked door/chest content so I was suspecting a bug. (no pun intended)

Thanks for the info.

FlimsyFirewood

Wai.

invis > stealth

(Funny that they're not the same thing eh?)

Community Member

What I do is, with invisibility on, run close to it so it hears you, then peg it down the corridor. Once you're out of earshot, stealth again and get past it.
    It's a game. GAME! Only a game. say it with me now - GAME. There. That's better.

Default easy

If you notice the scorpions move closer to the octagon each time you get to the next one until the one that is on top. Have to be cleaver to get the scorpion to move ....it part of the test of Vulkoor!

Super easy....there is a pillar on the opposite wall....fire a ranged weapon at it. Once the scorpion moves to the wall, you can sneak past and place the staff in the octagon.
    Last edited by Daedalis; 08-26-2011 at 05:07 PM.