Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Now that I've thought about more, if players really want to be cool and have a rune arm, but no Artificer levels, let them equip it... but it the item would gain the vicious property and would damage them each time they tried to charge/use it. This would simulate the Rune Arm "back firing" due to operator error.
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggson View Post
    Ok I admit it... That would be entertaining..
    We would need another "scream of agony" sound effect added to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    What is my bases? Unarmed Attack. Should you take the feat in PnP, you only get your "size" fist for damage. You can never make it get larger unless you actually start to learn and train properly via the monk class.
    Wrong, Superior Unarmed Strike.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenaps View Post
    Hey everybody.

I'm pretty upset for the fact that only Arti can use Rune Arms. Why there is not a feat for exotic proficiency? Dungeons & Dragons always have been the customization king. Any class with the right feats should be able to use Rune Arms (and ofc, Arti will have class features that improve it). I can have a barb using wands, i can have a Wiz using 2 handers, but... i cant have any other class besides Arti that can use Rune Arms. Don't turn that into a item-by-class game like WoW please, keep the d&d flavor.

Thanks
    1.) Splash 2 levels of Arti
    2.) Nuke stuff with your runearm
    3.) ???????
    4.) Profit!

Also, I want to be able to use Psionic abilities, without having any levels in Psionic classes.

Complaining about class based abilities in a class based game is kind of fail.
    Last edited by mournbladereigns; 08-19-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiirix View Post
    There are several class specific items in D&D. You can't get the feat and use a bard's instruments f.e. or the rogue's lockpicks. Or let's take it like this: "Exotic weapon runearm" would allow you to equip the divice and hit somebody on the head without the -4 penalty. But not how to charge it
    You are mistaken.

The perform skill allows you to use instrument you choose. And... most magical instruments were usable by anyone with perform. Depending on your RANK, the item might do more than it would in the hands of a less talented musician. In fact, I had a rogue who fancied himself a minstrel and put max ranks in perform. He could play with the best of them, but obviously never had bardic music. In fact, he even took the craft skill (Craft:Music composition) and composed his own ballads to subtly undermine the existing political establishment in the game. Oh, the joys of REAL roleplaying.

You are also mistaken on the "rogue's" lockpicks. Open lock is a skill, again... trainable by anyone... tho in most it was cross class skill.

Then... in PnP, you had REAL prestige classes that blurred the line even further.
    Jonalicia,20th Assassin Jonndar, 20th Assassin Jonitillus, 20th Assassin TR1 Jonnor, 20th Exploiter Jonfar,20th Pale Master TR2 Jonatron, 20th Pale Master Jonitillius, 20th Assassin Jonnbar,20th Assassin Fine Antique Leg Wear Night of the Devourer Unofficial STR-based Rogue Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Letrii View Post
    Wrong, Superior Unarmed Strike.
    Must be a splat book as it isn't part of base core.

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicFeats.htm

Um.. no, please.

The rune arms are new.. Which means there are bugs/exploits/balance issues to work out.
    Let the Artificer class sit for a while and collect the data. Then make the fixes. THEN see about changes.

(I can see the potential for a lot of problems making a whole new class line's best feature available via UMD)
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Must be a splat book as it isn't part of base core.

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicFeats.htm
    Tome of Battle: Book of Nine of Swords, iirc.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Yep you can, UMD is your friend for any class specific magic item.
    its wont work for bard instruments or rogue tools and the rune arm is more like those class specific item and umd dont cover that

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Thats true! was inspire courage. my bad.

anyway, you can still UMD a scroll of fascinate :P so im still good :P
    wrong again thats a bard ability not a spell

Beware the Sleepeater

I was under the impression that the true D&D spirit as defined by GG is something along the lines of...."here's a set of rules, but they arn't really rules its more like guidelines. Do what the hell you want with them to make the game fun for you"

Otherwise known as "House Rules"
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

true, but theres a good bunch of spells that fascinate.
    they arent the same methinks you just want to argue and you cant win but you wont admit it either.

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSteel View Post
    sounds about the same as saying:

hey my half orc barbarian has enough UMD, let him stick a Defiance docent into his chest cavity.

yeh maybe he could, but I doubt it would work and you'd just be left with a big gapping hole.

some things are simply race/class specific w/o any work arounds
    hey black, stick that docent of defiance on the puppy
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Chest cavity. K, gotcha.

Whew. My mind had ran ahead in that sentence and it tends to go weird places sometimes.

On-topic, such as it is, I /second what Bodic suggested.

Afterthought: Tho perhaps allowing a non-arty char to attempt to use a rune-arm could be fun... Did he stick his arm in the right end of the contraption? When the item figures out there's not enough mental power available to run it, does it run him? Or maybe instead, finding lack of mental power just starts chewing the nearest material component up for power. (That would be the character's inserted arm, btw.)

Etc.
    +1 for making me almost spray coffee over the kb..thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by KristovK View Post
    +1 for making me almost spray coffee over the kb..thanks for that
    Maybe you'll spray it once you realize the item is a glorified fleshtube. I mean think about it.
    1. (If you are a fleshy) you stick this your arm into this special tube.
    2. You it up charge up.
    3. You shoot your built up charge.
    4. You get gratification from shooting something.
    5. Repeat/Profit.

I'll stop there now, but you can blame CD for that thought. Trust me when I say he deserves it.

tl;dr

DDO =/= D&D

Get over it.

Maybe you'll spray it once you realize the item is a glorified fleshtube. I mean think about it.
    1. (If you are a fleshy) you stick this your arm into this special tube.
    2. You it up charge up.
    3. You shoot your built up charge.
    4. You get gratification from shooting something.
    5. Repeat/Profit.

I'll stop there now, but you can blame CD for that thought. Trust me when I say he deserves it.

ROFL!
    I'm proud of ya, MM. Even *I* hadn't gone there with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mournbladereigns View Post
    1.) Splash 2 levels of Arti
    2.) Nuke stuff with your runearm
    3.) ???????
    4.) Profit!...

As the charge-ups of 'Arms is dependant only on Arty levels, by my understanding, a 2-Arty splash will not make an Arm-Nuker of anyone.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 08-20-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    ROFL!
    I'm proud of ya, MM. Even *I* hadn't gone there with it.

As the charge-ups of 'Arms is dependant only on Arty levels, by my understanding, a 2-Arty splash will not make an Arm-Nuker of anyone.
    a 2 splash would let you fire like TierI maybe Tier II charge, which is only like dmg +1d2/per CL, so like 2d2/2d3. Who wants to go around firing blanks! The weapon imbue is still useful, and one of the named Rune arms has toughness on it, so worth considering a splash to get toughness on an offhand weap slot pretty much.

Oh sure, and why not let ANY class simply take a feat to get sneak attack even if they aren't a rogue?

/no

(and I am aware of Half-Elf, but that is a race-based dilettante which is its own benefit and doesn't stack with rogue sneak attack anyways)
    Have you ever wanted to create your own customized user interface skins for DDO?
    Click this sentence for a tutorial learning how, an easy-to-follow video guide.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123