Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Artificer Multiclassing

post here wat you think the best multiclass options will be for Arti

my money's on Wiz, Rogue, and Bard
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Community Member

See'n how they get rune-arms, traps, locks.... I'd go 1 to 2 level splash on a 20 monk Or replacing the 1 level splash of rogue on the Exploiter builds out there. The class should also gain UMD as a class skill.

HOPEFULLY they can be lawful... plz plz plz plz plz
    Last edited by butlerfamilywa; 08-11-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProdigalGuru View Post
    Note to Self: Dear Self, I like you very much, but you are an idiot. Next time, check your facts. There is no point letting everyone else know you are an idiot. It might also help if you were to stop posting at 4 AM. Sincerely, Self

I'd say it all depends on how heavy the artificer pet relies on the class level.
    Feel free to contradict yourself!

2 Monk for evasion and feats or 2 Rogue for evasion and skills points.

Quote Originally Posted by Arovin View Post
    2 Monk for evasion and feats or 2 Rogue for evasion and skills points.
    that was pretty much my thinking too.

Community Member

Of note, it's stated in another thread that Arm Cannons are not considered Ki weapons. And also loads into the Offhand slot, replacing the ability to have a shield. One or the Other, can't go cannon/shield *sigh*... Also removes the chance of handwraps.

Either way, still receive traps/picks/umd... good option for those not wanting to splash Rogue like everyone else. The Artificer's are supposted to be HIGH in skill points from what I can see elsewhere, so they might be the same skill point value as rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProdigalGuru View Post
    Note to Self: Dear Self, I like you very much, but you are an idiot. Next time, check your facts. There is no point letting everyone else know you are an idiot. It might also help if you were to stop posting at 4 AM. Sincerely, Self

I foresee an army of 6 rogue mechanic, 14 artificer. Or more likely a bunch of abandoned characters around level 12.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glenalth View Post
    I foresee an army of 6 rogue mechanic, 14 artificer. Or more likely a bunch of abandoned characters around level 12.
    No reason to Artificers can self cast a 10 minute spell thats adds Int to damage making Mech1 irrelevant :P

Personally I think it will be 2 splash for evasion most likely monk since it grants extra feats (even if it is only dual toughness) and arty has trap skills and UMD already...also could make for a decent AC since an artys dex will be high.

The will of course be some Arty12+/X builds but we need to wait on more info for that....also we need to see how splash friendly Arty is (IOW if a wiz takes 1 or 2 lvls of arty will he gain anything worth losing evasion from 1 or 2 of rogue)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    No reason to Artificers can self cast a 10 minute spell thats adds Int to damage making Mech1 irrelevant :P
    I'm thinking that spells and enhancements typically stack and that the way the rogue ability is phrased indicates bonus damage rather than modifying the crossbow itself to use INT for damage. Could go either way though.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    But that will exclude you from using "Deadly Weapons" or any of the other weapon enchants. I don't know if I'm asking too much, but I really hope that Artificer gets Int-to-Damage (for Crossbows) via some innate means (having it in a PrE counts) so I can use the enchantment slot on my Crossbow to play with some of the other weapon enchantment spells.

Since ranged builds are pretty Feat intensive (unless they supply some of the ranged feats via a PrE) then I am expecting to go 18 Art/2 Monk or Fighter. Most likely Monk for the obvious Evasion benefits.

Those extra feats will help pick up Weapon Finesse, Toughness and Insightful Reflexes...being able to use a Rapier (or whatever Finesse weapon) with a decent ToHit (via the high Dex you need for Improved Precise Shot) and (your presumably high Int) to Damage should be really nice...much better than my current Mechanic who dumped Strength and is SCREWED when he gets stuck in melee (and not getting Sneak Attacks).
    Last edited by rimble; 08-12-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenalth View Post
    That looks like a good distribution for a fleshy arty.

But for a WF arty I'd say get at least 14 Artificer levels because that's the level you first get a 6th level infusion. Reconstruct is at 6th level so you'd probably want at least 14 levels of Artificer. 16 levels might actually be preferable because you get a Bonus Feat at 16th level, another infusion as compared to 14th level, and +1 to all your saves as compared to 14th level.

2 levels of Monk for the Evasion and feats would be nice and 2 levels of Fighter for the feats and weapon/shield (if you're not going to be a repeater user) proficiencies would also be nice. 2 Levels of Paladin could also work if you don't need the Fighter feats but would like to get your saves up. Hmmm...

I think I'm gonna recommend the 16Art/2Mnk/2Pal distribution. I'll have to think up a clever name for that build. Hmmmm...
    Last edited by NeutronStar; 08-14-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Hero

Hard to say yet. It looks like artificers will get blade barrier at L15, that's kind of hard to give up unless they get some really good stuff by L12 artificer for a 12/whatever build. An 18 artificer/2 something build or just pure 20 artificer is looking best from the miniscule amount of info I have seen about the class so far.

Or maybe something like 16 artificer/2 rogue/2 fighter, kind of like a warchanter build for a melee evasion artificer with blade barrier. Eladrin said something about a bastard sword/dwarven axe PRE possibly, so some kind of melee artificer may be a possibility. Of course even with the PRE, it will probably work out that a khopesh is better.

Splashing rogue into an artificer seems pretty futile to me. They get plenty skill points, UMD is a class skill, as are trap skills.

I'd say monk2 for evasion and feats instead.

Wizards will probably still rather splash rogue over artificer. Level 1 spells are weak, evasion is awesome.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Truga View Post
    Splashing rogue into an artificer seems pretty futile to me. They get plenty skill points, UMD is a class skill, as are trap skills.

Yeah you gain alot and lose practically nothing

Wizards will probably still rather splash rogue over artificer. Level 1 spells are weak, evasion is awesome.
    Naw I'm not refering to the spells im refering to the other stuff it gets ie. it construct the main question is will that stuff be useful on a spaslh or is it arty level based (as opposed to character level)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Hero

Monk is nice too, but then you have to be lawful. I'd rather be true neutral on a UMD class. Also, I wonder if artificers have any alignment restrictions like monks, bards, etc. Don't know anything about the PnP class.

Looking at what ive seen so far, you would want at least 15 levels of artificer.

Perhaps a 16/2/2 arti/pali/monk, or mybe just 18/2 arti monk.

Honestly the big factor i'm waiting for is the capstone.

If its good, then pure.

If not, then something with evasion.
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Arty 18/ Monk 2 vs pure 20 Rogue (mech)

Unfortunately from the repeater avail on Lammaland from the starter korthos quest im assuming that ARTY will have the exotic wep repeater from lvl 1

So lets deduce:
    ,/ High base INT and most likely class AP enhance-able
    ,/ Free Repeater feat
    ,/ INT to repeater damage from lvl 6
    ,/ Full Trapskills
    ,/ Full UMD
    ,/ Self haste/buff
    ,/ Self heal
    ,/ Party buff
    ,/ Party heal
    ,/ Bonus feats to cover metamagics, enough normal feats to cover repeater ranged
    ,/ RUNEARM!!>
    ,/ Ability splash evasion and 2 bonus feats from Monk possibly go Helf for a rogue dilly and some sneak dice
    ,/ No stigma for LFMs as you are a party buffbot, sub-healer

oh and before you say what about sneak damage? Sneak damage is going to be less available in the new update as its been CONFIRMED that mobs have increases to their FORTIFICATION, and in RAID groups your stackable infusion BUFFS will add enough DPS to the party to more than cover the loss of 12d6 sneak every now and then.

see where im going with this? - mechanic is soon to be a dead PRE again, ARTY does everything we do and MORE!
    Last edited by Stillwaters; 08-12-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    -Stealth RULEZ- A compilation -Favor 101- "How-to" unlock the game -Boycott the changes- combat changes stink
    You say you want your $$ back, i d g a f about the $$. I want my GAME back..

Depends on what's offered for future paths/PrEs, capstones, and so on.
    I think it also depends on the type of Artificer you want to play.

For example, if you're going to mostly solo using your pet, then you may want to splash Rogue.
    Let the pet tank, you heal it with repair spells, and then "clink, clink, clink" away with your repeating x-bow for sneak damage.

But I agree with those above - don't splash Rogue because you want extra skill points or skills or anything. Artificer should have plenty on their own, and already comes with OL, DD, and UMD.
    Splash Rogue for sneak damage and evasion IMO.

And if you want the most out of your rune arm, pure looks to be the way to go.

Also keep in mind that, at least in PnP, Artificers could wear medium armour. That may affect whether or not you want to splash for Evasion.
    Sitting in the back using ranged attacks and wearing eMarilith could be quite yummy (for those without a Bloodstone).

12 arty, 6 ranger (DWS), 2 monk. Should have some potential with the new point blank shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravoc-DDO View Post
    12 arty, 6 ranger (DWS), 2 monk. Should have some potential with the new point blank shot.
    Since i have seen arti's get BB at 15, im sure that will be a big factor in how this class gets multi-classed.
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast