Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Community Member

I think we will get an update after Gamescom (last day is 21 August). So it will be at 22 August (Monday).

They will show us Artificer in game videos, we will just sit and watch
    Server: Ghallanda Guild: Drunk 'n' Dangerous
    * Lanternal - Warforged/Wizard 20
    * Other Toons: Pancar, LoranisEU, Karete and other retired ones.
    Ghallanda Europen Guild List - Thelanis European Guild List

Quote Originally Posted by Valakai View Post
    What I am hoping is that art could get some construct traits so even the puny fleshies could heal themselves. WF looks too tempting if not...just dont personally like to play as one.
    even if no construct traits are gained, artificers will be able to UMD a lot of healing items reliably, and will be able to cast AOE healing spells from low levels that consume potions (and will have enhancements to boost the amount those potions heal)

If the 15% attack speed 4th level armor infusion stacks with haste, I'm going to say that a 10 artificer (is this what level they get 4th level spells? I have no idea)/8 warchanter/2 rogue (evasion/skill points/damage) or 2 sorcerer (probably much needed spell points) or 2 fighter (feats) could be decent. Human if artificer gets crafting bonuses and we can transfer crafting levels from our crafter to our new toon. Crafting dragonmarks taken.

I would lean toward the 2 sorc at first blush, since it would be intended to be a master buffer.

Eight levels of warchanter would give the party (with enhancements) a not at all shabby +5 to hit/+6 to damage. You could rage, (double) haste, blur, displace, situational cc if you keep your perform up, and infuse weapons with elemental damage.

The idea would really be to give the melees as much of a damage boost as possible.

This build being viable in a group depends on a couple key things, however. You would have to be the only bard as well as the only artificer in the group. Otherwise, you wouldn't be contributing nearly as much. For this reason, this character would make a living in six person quests rather than raids. Also, the two forms of haste would have to stack.

Even with all the information, I imagine that multiple hearts of wood will be used on whatever kind of artificer I decide to make. That's just how it works, right?
    Last edited by ThePrisoner; 08-16-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
    Even with all the information, I imagine that multiple hearts of wood will be used on whatever kind of artificer I decide to make. That's just how it works, right?
    Ummm.... no?

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    Ummm.... no?
    Meaning that theory and practice often land far apart when it comes to builds in DDO. And I thought "Fail" was the short, vague, unintelligent response of choice nowadays. Why not go with that instead?

AGW
    Last edited by ThePrisoner; 08-16-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Meaning that theory and practice often land far apart when it comes to builds in DDO.
    sometimes. but usually, you can wind up making a pretty decent character on the first try if you know what you're doing.

is my first ever fighter amazing and god-like, such that upon entering the dungeons every mob immediately throws themselves on their sword to avoid having to face me? nope. is it good enough to not need a heart of wood to fix it? absolutely. and i didn't even start with a particularly amazing concept... my fighter is a THF maul kensei, which is hardly the most amazing build out there, but he does just fine, and i didn't have to get someone else to build it for me, i just took the feats that made sense when they made sense, and worked from that.

same with most of my characters, really... my first sorcerer i used the sorcerer build guide. and that's about the last character i've built to anyone else's plan. none of them are terrible. some of them aren't the greatest, but most of them are very solid. i expect it will be the same with my artificer i hope to make.

And I thought "Fail" was the short, vague, unintelligent response of choice nowadays. Why not go with that instead?
    The Fail was your inflammatory trolling response.
    No hearts will be needed, and if you need them then you should have planned better. Or save the $15 and reroll. Either way, zero hearts are needed.

But thanks for calling me vague and unintelligent. Enjoy your neg rep.

The Fail was your inflammatory trolling response.
    No hearts will be needed, and if you need them then you should have planned better. Or save the $15 and reroll. Either way, zero hearts are needed.

But thanks for calling me vague and unintelligent. Enjoy your neg rep.
    Hearts are never needed. They are desired. I'm a perfectionist.

I called the response vague and unintelligent, not you.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

i GRed my rogue, then LRed him later. why? i didn't want to reroll. he was a 28 point gimp. so i GRed him (and took out a level of fighter at the same time, so that was a +1 greater heart). i learned more about rogueing. crunched some numbers... decided to swap from mechanic to assassin. i could have just reset enhancements... but i didn't like my stat and skill allocation. so i LRed. i think i like him now.

the official home of LOLWUT
    and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc
    Q: how do you get me to appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question! XD

On the other hand, all build that used to splash one level of rogue may consider taking an artificer level instead.

Quote Originally Posted by aerendhil View Post
    On the other hand, all build that used to splash one level of rogue may consider taking an artificer level instead.
    A few maybe, but not many. There are very few builds that splash a single level of rogue. Most that splash also take the second level to get evasion as well. Since Arty doesn't have evasion, I see very few builds going with it instead of rogue.
    In a strictly "bang for your buck" kind of way, rogue is a much more powerful splash due to the higher skill points, evasion, and sneak attack.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    even if no construct traits are gained, artificers will be able to UMD a lot of healing items reliably, and will be able to cast AOE healing spells from low levels that consume potions (and will have enhancements to boost the amount those potions heal)
    He meant spells like this

Toughen Construct

Toughens the skin of a ally contruct, giving a +2 natural armor bonus to AC with an additional +1 bonus for every 3 caster levels above 3rd, to a maximum of +5 at caster level 12.

or

Reinforce Construct

Reinforces the target ally construct or living construct, giving a bonus of 10 temporary hit points plus 1 additional one per caster level up to caster level 10.

Of course theres the repair spells as well.

Thus you NEED to before warforged as their the only construct player race...no amount of UMD will allow you to use these spells
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Thus you NEED to before warforged as their the only construct player race...no amount of UMD will allow you to use these spells
    Meh...maybe if you were making a melee/tanky type of Artificer, but I don't see it as quite as necessary as, say, Wizards or Sorcerers, who only get access to Repair spells.

Arrow

So you're still giving up the best all around DPS spell in the game.
    ~
    Huh?
    Bladebarrier is good if properly meta...
    But you must not have much experience with the arcane side of things huh?
    ~
    OR perhaps you just meant best DPS of the Divine spells?
    Cause Ive never heard of BBs critin in the thousands.
    But then again, I am Just as without experience in the divine class so perhaps my views are askew.

~
    If we shrank our solar system to the size of a Quarter, and lay it at your feet, the Milky Way galaxy would still be larger than North America. ~NASA Perspective anyone?

Honestly, after toying with a few possible combos and thinking them through, my expectation is that Arty will be best as a pure class. Maybe consider tossing evasion into the mix, but I think they'll be better pure for the moment.... at least for x-bow users.
    I suppose it will all depend on the enhancements and capstone though.
    And here we have it.
    Arty will definitely be a pure class for me.

NEW:Artificer Arcane Empowerment (Capstone Enhancement)
    Cost: 2 action points
    Action Points Spent Prerequisite: 74
    Available to Artificer class level 20
    The patterns of the most complex magical formulae are like children's drawings to you. You treat any equipped item that casts spells (such as scrolls, wands, rods, or other activated items) as if they were staves, using your caster level as well as determining Save DC's using your Intelligence if it would be better than the base item's.

Purchase cheap wands from the friggin market and use them as if you were a capped caster.
    Level 3 caster wand becomes a level 20 caster want.
    Stoneskin wand from the Twelve becomes a full caster level 20 stoneskin.
    Blur scroll or Displacement scroll from the Market becomes a full level 20 blur/displacement
    Done and done. Pure class only for me..

Community Member

The patterns of the most complex magical formulae are like children's drawings to you. You treat any equipped item that casts spells (such as scrolls, wands, rods, or other activated items) as if they were staves, using your caster level as well as determining Save DC's using your Intelligence if it would be better than the base item's.
    Still don't see that mattering too much unless your Metamagics also apply...

(Ah, you edited in good examples...still...I dunno...)

Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    Still don't see that mattering too much unless your Metamagics also apply...

(Ah, you edited in good examples...still...I dunno...)
    Even without metas, DPS from 20 level caster wands/scrolls, plus Runearms when scrolls/wands are on cooldown, plus your mecha-puppy. All in all it won't be terrible, even if you don't get metas on the scrolls/wands (like we're supposed to, hint hint Devs).
    Repeaters/mecha-puppies/Runearms for trash, scrolls/wands/mecha-puppies/Runearms for bosses. Shouldn't be too bad all in all. Not top tier, but not horrible either. And I don't think anyone expected top tier anyway. I know I didn't.

Community Member

Dear lord read the release notes about their Enhancements and Bonus Feats and...oh my...this changes everything...

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=206066

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Well you can apparently make yourself a construct so no worries about needing to be WF ...Human it is...now i wonder Pure,18Arty/2Monk or 12Arty/7Rogue/1Monk...maybe 13rogue/6Atry/1Monk

Here's my quick mock-ups. Feats not in order....skills well you have alot take concentration, trapskills than w/e.

Pure Human 20 Arty

Dex 18
    Con 14
    Int 16

Regular
    1 Heighten
    2 Rapid Reload
    3 IC:Ranged
    4 WF: Ranged
    5 Precise Shot
    6 Improved Precise Shot
    7 Toughness
    H Point Blank Shot

Arty
    1 Construct Essence
    2 Augment Summoning
    3 Extend
    4 Maximize
    5 Empower

Pure Human 12 Arty/7Rogue/1Monk or Fighter

Note: If fighter stats are the same as above build and feats are switched around a bit but otherwise the same

Dex 17
    Con 13
    Int 16
    Wis 12

Regular
    1 Empower
    2 Rapid Reload
    3 IC:Ranged
    4 WF:Ranged
    5 Precise Shot
    6 Improved Precise Shot
    7 Maximize
    H Point Blank Shot

Arty
    1 Construct Essence
    2 Augment Summoning
    3 Extend

Monk
    1 Toughness
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-17-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Well you can apparently make yourself a construct so no worries about needing to be WF ...Human/H-Elf it is...now i wonder Pure,18Arty/2Monk or 12Arty/7Rogue/1Monk...maybe 13rogue/6Atry/1Monk
    Aside from the Insightful Damage spell disappearing (it better come back)...this doesn't blow a 7 Artificer / 7 Rogue / 6 Deepwood Sniper build out of the water yet...probably eventually ditch the Ranger levels for more Artificer when Battle Engineer II is available...and of course ditch Rogue if Battle Engineer III is nice...

Or of course 14 Artificer / 6 Rogue if you want to keep things a little more simple and be a little more casty.

I love the Damage Boost line...I was set on having to be a Human for it...but with the bonus Feats being usable on Ranged Feats, and getting Damage Boost innately (at least up to III if I stop at Arti 7), I can consider other races...Drow maybe?!

(looking at a Repeater focused character here)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast