Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 80d6+80? wow!

Will the runearms dice be 'weighted' like other spells?

For example fireball is 1d6 per level but the damage is actually 1d3+3.
    There was a big topic about this a while ago but my search fu is failing at the moment
    ~ Rukan 4/3 pal/mnk(Past Life mnk x3) ~ Ignavus 16 wiz(Past Life sor/wiz) ~ Styphon 20 Game Deformer(Past Life Clr) ~
    ~ Wyek 7/6 mnk/ftr ~ Lystara 5/6/2 ftr/rng/mnk ~ Tinder 12 brb ~

Quote Originally Posted by Avidus View Post
    Will the runearms dice be 'weighted' like other spells?

For example fireball is 1d6 per level but the damage is actually 1d3+3.
    There was a big topic about this a while ago but my search fu is failing at the moment
    That was answered on the previous page. Post 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    That was answered on the previous page. Post 52.
    Yes, I read that post. It doens't exactly say how the behind the scenes mechanics are going to work.

With the fireball example again it says 1 to 6 D&D dice 1d6.... But that is not what the RNG uses for determining damage. Eladrin was explaining the D&D dice of the damage ranges, not how they are calculated by the RNG in game.
    ~ Rukan 4/3 pal/mnk(Past Life mnk x3) ~ Ignavus 16 wiz(Past Life sor/wiz) ~ Styphon 20 Game Deformer(Past Life Clr) ~

Ah, I see. I assumed that Eladrin would give us the breakdown in the form that it actually uses, whereas you're questioning whether he simplified it for that post for easier understanding.

Xionanx

Yes, I read that post. It doens't exactly say how the behind the scenes mechanics are going to work.

With the fireball example again it says 1 to 6 D&D dice 1d6.... But that is not what the RNG uses for determining damage. Eladrin was explaining the D&D dice of the damage ranges, not how they are calculated by the RNG in game.
    Considering its a "Spell" it will likely be wieghted to ensure you dont end up with the lowest possible damage output.

Quote Originally Posted by Xionanx View Post
    Considering its a "Spell" it will likely be wieghted to ensure you dont end up with the lowest possible damage output.
    This is likely, but metamagics, (feats that affect spells) don't affect them, but enhancements and items do, so I would rather ask then just assume, because knowing my luck I'd assume incorrectly...

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    The caster's spell damage amplification effects and enhancements modify the rune arm's damage. Metamagics do not affect any of the rune arm spells at this time. They use your Artificer level as their caster level and your Intelligence modifier - it's more or less as if you were casting a spell through the relic. The spells count as having a level equal to their charge tier plus one.
    They seem to have different mechanics. Rather than stumble through and figure them out it would be nice to know upfront

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    The caster's spell damage amplification effects and enhancements modify the rune arm's damage. Metamagics do not affect any of the rune arm spells at this time. They use your Artificer level as their caster level and your Intelligence modifier - it's more or less as if you were casting a spell through the relic. The spells count as having a level equal to their charge tier plus one.
    Will the charge-level effect the spell level it counts as ?
    If not, how is it calculated ?

This is likely, but metamagics, (feats that affect spells) don't affect them, but enhancements and items do, so I would rather ask then just assume, because knowing my luck I'd assume incorrectly...

They seem to have different mechanics. Rather than stumble through and figure them out it would be nice to know upfront
    He said they "don't affect them at this time."
    The "at this time" is the important part. If you're familiar with Atrificers from a PnP perspective, they get a 6th level ability to apply metamagic feats to nspell trigger items (such as wands) and an eleventh level ability to apply metamagic feats onto spell completion items (such as scrolls).
    Runearms, as we don't fully understand them yet, could be either, but are most likely spell trigger items.

Whether or not they will have this ability in DDO remains to be seen, and Eladrin hasn't answered yet. But the potential certainly remains because of the "at this time" remark.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234