Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinven View Post
    I wonder if you level on the test realm, if you could take a level of the class.
    I tested this, and the answer is no, at least not to non-VIPs, since I do not have access to the class, and cannot buy it since it's not in the store yet. However, that said, might be it would work for VIPs. This also means that most likely it's not a F2P class (like if we didn't know that already =P )

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truga View Post
    Frankly, drow is a good choice:
    16 dex +2 enhancements for hitting with a crossbow (and possibly the handcannon?)
    16 int for casting level 6 spells
    16 cha for umd (if artificers are anything like pnp they'll need this, and need it bad)
    14 con = total of 28 points
    dump str and wis.

Not too bad, but will need a str item to defend against ray of enfeeblement and carry all their gear at end-game. I'm still rolling a WF though :P
    No need to put any points on DEX since you will have those spells using your INT for att/dam:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Insightful_Strikes
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Insightful_Damage

Improved Precise Shot.
    Elessi

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spiritqc View Post
    No need to put any points on DEX since you will have those spells using your INT for att/dam:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Insightful_Strikes
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Insightful_Damage
    First All ranged feats have a pre-req of dex so unless artificers get an ability to use Int for any stat pre-reqs (which hey they might) you need dex.

Second I don't think that will work and a weapon that doesn't have a damage stat....ie. RXbow

Quote Originally Posted by Truga View Post
    Frankly, drow is a good choice:
    16 dex +2 enhancements for hitting with a crossbow (and possibly the handcannon?)
    16 int for casting level 6 spells
    16 cha for umd (if artificers are anything like pnp they'll need this, and need it bad)
    14 con = total of 28 points
    dump str and wis.

Not too bad, but will need a str item to defend against ray of enfeeblement and carry all their gear at end-game. I'm still rolling a WF though :P
    First off I'm 99% sure their not gonna make you have three 16+ stats just to function...besides good luck getting a +3 dex tome.

Now using non-insane stats (Int16+/Dex17-18 with a healthy side of Con14+) Drow vs. Halfling vs My Race suggestions.

Halfling

18 Dex
    14 Con
    18 Int

Note: Could drop int to 16 and make Cha 14 if that's your preference.

Drow

18 Dex
    14 Con
    16 Int

New Race (Let's go with Tinker Gnome)

18 Dex
    14 Con
    20 Int

So in order of important stats It goes:

Tinker Gnome (or lesser tiefling or lesser air genasi)
    Halfling
    Drow

In order of useful enhancements

Halfling
    Drow

Note: Tinker Gnomes are unknown but they would likely have bonuses to being an artificer due to their tinker nature so they would likely be above Halfling but thats just speculation

So basically even without a new race being added Halflings still start with better stats and actually have useful stats while adding one of my suggested race would automatically take top spot...although I think Tinker Gnome would be best as they would likely get enhancements for both artificer (Tinker) and wizards (gnome) which both would LOVE their Int bonus.

Again I must stat all stats aside Warforged artificers are either abominations or saints....or maybe even...breeders? :P I feel sorry for cannith when the Warforged come back having learned the trade in which created them (which makes some sense if they were trying to discover themselves...just in this case its in the literal sense)
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-11-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

I can see a lot of 14art/6rogmech... or a lot of people taking the exotic feat repeating heavy crossbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    the thing that confuses me is that an artificer, which uses primarily crossbows according to the text (well, that and rune arms), can value dex so little that it recommends an 8. seriously?
    The paths haven't been completed yet, so I wouldn't put too much into the numbers you see there.

I like to live dangerously, so I was gonna go with Drow Arty (1 TR):

8/17/12/20/8/10
    Elessi

Quote Originally Posted by EssenceofEvil View Post
    I can see a lot of 14art/6rogmech... or a lot of people taking the exotic feat repeating heavy crossbow.
    You never know they might get it for free besides they are supposed to get free metamagics,etc. like wizards so they should be able to fit it in.

You are right though ArtyX/Rogue6+ will be popular on a class that focuses on Int for his spells and will be using an RXbow in their main hand the +int to damage will be a huge boon...unless this spell http://ddowiki.com/page/Insightful_Damage can add a damage stat to a weapon without one as opposed to just changing.

Personally I'm still not sure how their supposed to wield an RXBO (aka a rapid-fire crossbow according to the class dexcription) and a rune arm since their 2-handed weapons (and IIRC all ranged weapons are...non-thrown at least)

Quote Originally Posted by bowiehero View Post
    I like to live dangerously, so I was gonna go with Drow Arty (1 TR):

8/17/12/20/8/10
    AH 12 Con KILL IT KILL IT ...actually thats not bad(I prefer 14 but 12 is acceptable on an elf or drow)..I'd still prefer Halfling or Tinker Gnome but it fulfills most of the quotas I set in my builds above (Int16+/Dex17-18 with a healthy side of Con14+)
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-11-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    You are right though ArtyX/Rogue6+ will be popular on a class that focuses on Int for his spells and will be using an RXbow in their main hand the +int to damage will be a huge boon...unless this spell http://ddowiki.com/page/Insightful_Damage can add a damage stat to a weapon without one as opposed to just changing.

Personally I'm still not sure how their supposed to wield an RXBO (aka a rapid-fire crossbow according to the class dexcription) and a rune arm since their 2-handed weapons (and IIRC all ranged weapons are...non-thrown at least)
    I'd imagine insightful damage wouldn't work any differently the the mechanic prestige ability to add INT modifier to crossbow damage. For the second point, repeating crossbows are now equipping to the main hand rather than the off hand where I'd imagine the rune arms are slotting. This was actually a bit of a pain as I copied my repeater rogue to Llamaland and all of my weapon sets needed to be redone since they were trying to equip offhand.

Personally, I'd expect the 6 levels of rogue for mechanic would end up being redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post

This thread has a picture of the new rune arm with description.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=334180

It says on the rune arm that it can be equipped with any crossbow.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neouni View Post
    Since Artificers can summon bolts, as a level 1 spell, i doubt they can ever really run out with echoes of power.
    Nice!

-Ozmar the Approving
    I can has no signature. Alas!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellEdison View Post
    I'd imagine insightful damage wouldn't work any differently the the mechanic prestige ability to add INT modifier to crossbow damage. For the second point, repeating crossbows are now equipping to the main hand rather than the off hand where I'd imagine the rune arms are slotting. This was actually a bit of a pain as I copied my repeater rogue to Llamaland and all of my weapon sets needed to be redone since they were trying to equip offhand.

Personally, I'd expect the 6 levels of rogue for mechanic would end up being redundant.
    Yeah especially since its a flat 10 minute duration regardless of level and being an imbue ability is immune to dispels including beholders its pretty much something you can assume will be always on (although if the duration was like masters touch it would be even better)

Actually thinking about it beyond maybe a monk/rogue splash for evasion I can't think of much of a reason to multiclass even than the capstone might be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravosi View Post
    This thread has a picture of the new rune arm with description.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=334180

It says on the rune arm that it can be equipped with any crossbow.
    Awesome totally missed that thanks Bravosi...also I now know you charge the rune arm by blocking...good to see its limited to xbows (or one handed weapon) or this would just turn into ANOTHER AA class.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    The paths haven't been completed yet, so I wouldn't put too much into the numbers you see there.
    Thanks for confirming that

Since Artificers can summon bolts, as a level 1 spell, i doubt they can ever really run out with echoes of power.
    Awesome...and thanks for the link in your sig to the infusions.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-11-2011 at 11:14 AM.

I am dying to see what, if any, automatic/bonus feats Artificers are going to end up with. I'd be very surprised if they had to spend a feat on light repeaters since they seem to be built around it, and perhaps heavy repeaters may come later/with a prestige line. It would be a shame if lack of bonus feats makes actual feat selection so tight that doing reasonable ranged dps makes every other aspect of the class worthlessly gimped, and vice versa with casting.

Er.. am I missing something with Insightful Strikes/Insightful Damage?

You can't have them both at the same time... So Insightful Strikes would work for a crossbow, but I'm not sure of the purpose for Insightful Damage in any situation-- as discussed, crossbows don't have a damage stat, and any other weapon will still require Strength for its attack rolls, so what is the point of this spell? Weapon Finessing Artificers?
    Imperium Sacrum, Thelanis
    If you aren't playing with others, you're just playing with yourself.
    Aachener Arcanabot Bayerische Burgundian Etaijin Hannoverian Holsteinian Koelner Liladrache Pzkpfwiiil Savoyer Schlesien Silesian Tyrolean Westphalian

Default Visions....

...of all-Artificer shroud runs and screenshots of poor Harry on the business-end of a 12-toon firing squad.

Quote Originally Posted by LordArkan View Post

You can't have them both at the same time... So Insightful Strikes would work for a crossbow, but I'm not sure of the purpose for Insightful Damage in any situation-- as discussed, crossbows don't have a damage stat, and any other weapon will still require Strength for its attack rolls, so what is the point of this spell? Weapon Finessing Artificers?
    I'd don't see what your asking/confused about here...all ranged weapons already use dex for to-hit and since Artificers are presumably Dex/Int class they already have to-hit covered and can use Insightful damage to add a damage stat. Not sure why you'd even bother with aStr...UUnless you've fallen for the propaganda from the melees that ALL ranged combatants should waste build points, feats,etc. on melee stuff. In which cause get that out of you head kk

Note: Artificers CAN use a 1-handed melee weapon (according to a dev on pre-made line will use bastard swords) but their designed around using xbows...specifically repeating xbows.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-11-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordArkan View Post

Perhaps a str based instead of dex.
    I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this, but, one of the rune arms gives prof: bastard sword.
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dasthug View Post
    I am dying to see what, if any, automatic/bonus feats Artificers are going to end up with. I'd be very surprised if they had to spend a feat on light repeaters since they seem to be built around it, and perhaps heavy repeaters may come later/with a prestige line. It would be a shame if lack of bonus feats makes actual feat selection so tight that doing reasonable ranged dps makes every other aspect of the class worthlessly gimped, and vice versa with casting.
    The ddowiki speculation page lists artificer as getting the great crossbow feat for free.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Artificer_%28speculation%29

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vinven View Post
    I wonder if you level on the test realm, if you could take a level of the class.
    I tried, I couldn't
    http://my.ddo.com/elixer1
    Successor of the Blackmoor Defenders [Ghallanda]

Guild > Player > Build > Gear

Community Member

A good question to ask is if artificers will even get Echoes of Power.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast