Thread: Trap upgrade???

Community Member

Default Trap upgrade???

It has been a long time since i bothered to mess with traps, so maybe they changed in a previous update and i didn't notice.

However, i was wandering around House C and when i activated the trapmaking bench, i noticed it had a shiny new barter interface, so i tried it out. As i looked down the list, my jaw was dropping.

1: Alchemy potions that used to be rogue hand grenades seem to now be specified more for the arts class, and from what i read somewhere else they have a skill that increases the damage from them.

2: Magical traps can be made that Hold Monster, or cast Deep Slumber (which is now a more useful spell then when the traps first came out.)

3: Mechanical pieces and Handwraps can be transformed into a gear-type equipment that seems to be useable only by art. pets. The one i made gave +2 metaline of bone breaking.

But the part i loved the most, as a mechanic rogue who once thought that maybe traps would be fun, was this;
    4: Traps now use the same number of trap pieces, but elemental traps now use lesser essences instead of trapped souls.

So basicly, instead of trying to convince one of my friends to trap a huge fire elemental, or leveling up my mage to do it myself, i just need to destroy a couple of +1 flaming burst daggers. Umm.... win? Yes. Iirc, force burst, instead of needing a soul trapped beholder (with all that implies, anti-magic cone anyone?), just needs some arcane essences, which can be found in bulk from half of the items in the game it feels like. Suddenly instead of having to kill and trap (with another class) some of the more annoying monsters in the game to make 5 somewhat low damage traps, you just have to pillage a few random treasure chests and waste some loot in order to make 10 i think it is now? I am so checking this out more tomarrow.

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Yep, the trap update is pretty awesome.

Of course, still requiring 100 elemental parts for 15 mines, or 25 grenades, require a bit of focused grinding. Really wish there would be some higher level elemental traps out there.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Default very very happy with this

This excites me greatly. I looooooove traps and the only thing that has been keeping them from being more fun to me (and to everyone else I think) is those soul stones. NO MORE! Now if they could only increase the trap parts drop rate or make it so they would drop when we killed a construct or maybe make it so we could turn certain items into trap parts (I wouldn't mind deconstructing a flaming greatword into a couple of trap parts), then we would be rolling... but this is a major step in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We are not working with the aliens to send messages that are picked up by your microwaved meatloaf dinner. At least I don't think so...
    Proud member of Tyrs Paladium

Quote Originally Posted by bhgiant View Post
    Now if they could only increase the trap parts drop rate
    Very easy, go mechanic and you get more trap parts per disabled trap

fyi, Gwylans Stand and Bounty Hunter are great places to farm trap parts IIRC
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus451 View Post
    fyi, Gwylans Stand and Bounty Hunter are great places to farm trap parts IIRC
    Let's not forget Tomb of the Shadow Knight
    On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero
    Yes, i'm french and i do eat frogs alive, so don't mess with me when i'm hungry
    Argonessen FTW : Leelith ~ Bagdad Cafe ~ Lipp Stick ~ Peroxy Acetone

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Actually, the very beginning of Eyes of Stone (the library with the cold traps) is a very good place to get trap parts. Monastery in Reaver's Refuge is also a great place to get Mechanic trap parts, but most rogues have plenty of those anyway.

Gwylans and Shadow Knight are okay, it's just you're only getting a few traps of each type. If you're trying to get a lot of parts of one type so you can make deadly traps, it's just really inefficient.

((Obligatory plug for trap guide. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=259276 ))

But yes, I would like an increased drop rate of trap parts as well. As it stands, elemental trap parts are just really rare, and when they do drop it's only several parts. In the higher levels of the game, where traps will give more parts, they're all mechanical traps. It makes it very difficult to really invest in a stockpile of various types of mines or grenades.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer