Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Xionanx

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    An extended haste lasts 4 minutes. If the armor of speed is 5 base and extendable to 10 that doesn't seem bad as a single target ability that cannot be dispelled.

It does sound expensive on the SP hitting a full raid party, but not bad. If they aren't great hasters they still have better than potions and cleric/fvs's so I'm thinking it won't hurt to let bards, wizzies, and sorcs maintain better group hasting ability.

Since it's unlikely to stack with haste just let someone else haste and add a different armor buff. I'll take it.
    And thats the problem I see, why make yet another redundant ability. If you have an Artificer and a Sorc/Bard/Wizzy and the party and its still better to just let the Sorc/Bard/Wizzy cast haste, then why make a completely different ability in the first place? Just give artificers Haste.

However IF the ability lasts longer, say 10 Minutes + 30s/level then suddenly you have an ability people are willing to wait for it to be cast on everyone, as its a set it and forget it haste. It gives artificers a "Go to" buff that makes their haste more desirable then the AoE haste of the other casters. Being able to haste once at the start of a run would be an awesome boon

Quote Originally Posted by Xionanx View Post
    And thats the problem I see, why make yet another redundant ability. If you have an Artificer and a Sorc/Bard/Wizzy and the party and its still better to just let the Sorc/Bard/Wizzy cast haste, then why make a completely different ability in the first place? Just give artificers Haste.

However IF the ability lasts longer, say 10 Minutes + 30s/level then suddenly you have an ability people are willing to wait for it to be cast on everyone, as its a set it and forget it haste. It gives artificers a "Go to" buff that makes their haste more desirable then the AoE haste of the other casters. Being able to haste once at the start of a run would be an awesome boon
    You might not have a caster in the party who can cast haste, or you might be walking up to a group of beholders. Artificers seem to have a few niche infusions and that looks like one of them. I might never take it depending on all of my options but I'm not entirely ready to dismiss it yet given the number of beholders in some quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    You might not have a caster in the party who can cast haste, or you might be walking up to a group of beholders. Artificers seem to have a few niche infusions and that looks like one of them. I might never take it depending on all of my options but I'm not entirely ready to dismiss it yet given the number of beholders in some quests.
    I must agree, i can really see a use for them in 'invader' and 'dreams of insanity'.
    What you also must take into account, is that we don't have the full lists of spells\infusions yet.
    It seems someone pops up with a new one at least each day.

If someone finds an unknown scroll, there is no harm throwing it up on AH for a few mil, so all can see

From what I have read in 3.5, Artificers have all their known spells prepared, like a Sorc. They can also inscribe scrolls like a Wizard. Meaning they are only limited by the number of spells cast per day and do not have to choose from their known spells ahead of time.

If that is the case and Turbine keeps it the same then you would not have decide to have Armor of Haste. You would have full access to the Artificer spell list at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by Arovin View Post
    From what I have read in 3.5, Artificers have all their known spells prepared, like a Sorc. They can also inscribe scrolls like a Wizard. Meaning they are only limited by the number of spells cast per day and do not have to choose from their known spells ahead of time.

If that is the case and Turbine keeps it the same then you would not have decide to have Armor of Haste. You would have full access to the Artificer spell list at any given time.
    Yes and no.
    Artificers in PnP worked like Beguilers. They have access to every single spell/infusion of an appropriate level without preparation. They were different from sorc in that sorcs have to choose which spells they know, and can cast the ones they know without preparation. Artys know them all, automatically, and can infuse them without preparation. This made them extremely versatile.

However, automatically knowing every infusion, and having the ability to cast all of them at any time, would make your hotbars cry.
    Imagine if a Wizard could prepare evey single spell he knew. It would be WAY OP.
    With the fact that scrolls exist, I imagine that they'll work them like Wizards, in that they *don't* actually know all of them, but have access to all of the ones that they can inscribe, and prepare like a Wiz does. It makes more sense that way.
    Obviously some modifications were needed from the PnP version, and the Wizards' mechanic is the one that makes the most sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by junior_w View Post
    Flame Turret

How very Diabloesque!

Quick scan thru the pages, didn't see this one screenied yet:

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    Yes and no.
    Artificers in PnP worked like Beguilers. They have access to every single spell/infusion of an appropriate level without preparation. They were different from sorc in that sorcs have to choose which spells they know, and can cast the ones they know without preparation. Artys know them all, automatically, and can infuse them without preparation. This made them extremely versatile.

However, automatically knowing every infusion, and having the ability to cast all of them at any time, would make your hotbars cry.
    Imagine if a Wizard could prepare evey single spell he knew. It would be WAY OP.
    With the fact that scrolls exist, I imagine that they'll work them like Wizards, in that they *don't* actually know all of them, but have access to all of the ones that they can inscribe, and prepare like a Wiz does. It makes more sense that way.
    Obviously some modifications were needed from the PnP version, and the Wizards' mechanic is the one that makes the most sense to me.
    Artificers may only have a small spell list though. Considering the development that goes into just making a few new spells each pass, Artificer may only have at most 5 infusions per spell level.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Yes and no.

I could see them doing a mix of the two. Letting you select a few infusions on every level gain and inscribing the others from scrolls just like a wizard. Once known you would have access to them at any time.

Artificers have a much smaller infusion list overall compared to other casters. Plus most of that list is buffs and many are situational. One of the main benefits of an Artificer in pnp was their adaptability to any situation and having a very large bag of tricks.

Since most of the buffs themselves are limited to 1 per item making you pick and choose, I don't see it as being overpowered. Being able to cast a new infustion over an old one lets them keep their spirit of flexibility from 3.5. Yes, it would really hurt your screen real estate. Again, their infusion list is much smaller then a Wizards. You could always buff from your character sheet since the durations are so long.

Either way we will have to wait and see how Turbine choose to handle it.

Devs, we need an info dump stat all this speculating is going to drive us crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
    Artificers may only have a small spell list though. Considering the development that goes into just making a few new spells each pass, Artificer may only have at most 5 infusions per spell level.
    But many of their infusions are close enough to existing spells that simply using the existing version isn't out of the question. If they do that, then there is much less developmental time put into infusions while still retaining a decent number.
    With the sheer number of newer ones that we've seen, this is what I expect.
    Rather than give them Stone Contruct, instead give them Stoneskin.
    Rather than give them Construct Energy Ward, instead give them Resist Energy.
    Things like that.
    Check scrolls and see if they have an Art X level. I'm willing to bet that they do, and this removes a lot of the development time on Infusions.

edit:
    Plus, a lot of their infusions recreate effects that already exist anyway. Like Disrupting Weapon. Simple. They already exist. Just add it to x weapon. And how much time do you think went into coding Elemental Weapon? A few hours would be my guess.
    Last edited by Calebro; 08-12-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Check scrolls and see if they have an Art X level. I'm willing to bet that they do, and this removes a lot of the development time on Infusions.
    I posted a list of sold scrolls on the 1st page of this thread that have Art listed on them, so I would assume all of those will be in the infusion list. I have not gone through the list of scrolls that can drop from quests.

Edit: Let me jump on live and buy as many of the dropped ones as I can find on the AH and transfer that character over to Lammaina.

Speaking of Elemental Weapons... With many of the Artificer weapon enchantments, we tried to go for a "short and sweet" templating format for the descriptions. I'm curious as to how much people like the "Hit Effect: 1 to 6 fire damage." descriptions that don't have all of the the flowery text.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Speaking of Elemental Weapons... With many of the Artificer weapon enchantments, we tried to go for a "short and sweet" templating format for the descriptions. I'm curious as to how much people like the "Hit Effect: 1 to 6 fire damage." descriptions that don't have all of the the flowery text.
    Understandable and easy... I'm comfortable with it

Aesop
    Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff
    Rule 2: Its all small stuff
    Rule 3: People are stupid. You, me everyone... expect it
    more rules to come in a different sig

Prefer dice notation. I tend to think in dice where D&D is concerned.

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

I'll make the obligated "Where's the actual dice!?"

I can live with 1 to 6. Though I'll always prefer 1d6.

I do like the short and sweet text though.

Takai-

I'll make the obligated "Where's the actual dice!?"

I can live with 1 to 6. Though I'll always prefer 1d6.

I do like the short and sweet text though.
    Yeah actually I would prefer dice notation over all even if it was something like

"Hit Effect: 1d6 (1 to 6) fire damage."
    Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff
    Rule 2: Its all small stuff
    Rule 3: People are stupid. You, me everyone... expect it
    more rules to come in a different sig

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Aesop View Post
    Yeah actually I would prefer dice notation over all even if it was something like

Or if a UI option instantly translated number ranges into dice. That's probably outside what's feasible for development though.

Takai-

Or if a UI option instantly translated number ranges into dice. That's probably outside what's feasible for development though.
    or maybe the other way around. return it to XdX and have it automatically change to "X to X damage." then let us turn this off if we want to.

its much easier for me to get an idea of how much damage something will do with the XdX version myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    DDDDDddddddDDDOOOOOOOooooOOOODOOOOOOMMMMMMmmmmmMMM MM!!!111!!!!!1!

OK, out of all the scrolls I was able to find on the AH and bring to Lammania only one had Art listed

Mass Repair Critical Damage, Art 15

I could not get a Disjunction scroll to bring, that was one that thought would be worth a test.

Perfect.
    "And you ate an apple, and I ate a pear,
    From a dozen of each we had bought somewhere;
    And the sky went wan, and the wind came cold,
    And the sun rose dripping, a bucketful of gold. " - Millay

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Actually, isn't this exactly what we suggested way back when they did that one item description change that removed all the dice numbers?

Takai-

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast